PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Rentals

rainydaywoman
04-27-2016, 11:18 AM
I live in northern MN. and am wanting to purchase a Spyder to ride with my husband. I have never had a bike in the past and my husband thinks it would be a good idea for me to rent a Trike for a while to see if I even like it or not. Makes perfect sense to me, but I am having trouble finding anyplace that rents them outside of Newark, NJ or the west coast. Anybody have any suggestions? There is a Harley place in Eastern MN. that rents trikes, would that give me a similar feel at least? I know the wheels in the back are different, but are they close enough to let me decide if I like it or not? I am not willing to learn to ride a 2 wheeled bike, they scare me.

ARtraveler
04-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Glad to hear that you are in the market for a :spyder2:. I used to live in Duluth for many years, so you living in Northern MN brings back some memories.

RE: Renting any trike to see how you would like it. There is a world of difference between standard (one in front) and :ani29: (two in front) as to handling. Prior to getting the new RT :ani29: in 2010, I went to a HD dealer to test ride/sit the new Tri Glide. I did not make it past the test sit. It just was not for me. When they started it up, I said no thank you. Handling and comfort issues were not in HD's favor.

There should be a dealer or two that sells :spyder2:'s in MN. I was there way before :ani29: were on the road and so I do not have any experience with current dealers. There is a dealer in Mora that gets good reports. Maybe that is a place to start. A person wanting to test or rent would be a good candidate for the dealer to get them on a :spyder2: to try out.

trikermutha
04-27-2016, 12:50 PM
PleAse test ride before buying any brand they are not the same for rider comfort etc. Lots of things to understand beforehand

ChocEnabler
04-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear that you are in the market for a :spyder2:. I used to live in Duluth for many years, so you living in Northern MN brings back some memories.

RE: Renting any trike to see how you would like it. There is a world of difference between standard (one in front) and :ani29: (two in front) as to handling. Prior to getting the new RT :ani29: in 2010, I went to a HD dealer to test ride/sit the new Tri Glide. I did not make it past the test sit. It just was not for me. When they started it up, I said no thank you. Handling and comfort issues were not in HD's favor.

There should be a dealer or two that sells :spyder2:'s in MN. I was there way before :ani29: were on the road and so I do not have any experience with current dealers. There is a dealer in Mora that gets good reports. Maybe that is a place to start. A person wanting to test or rent would be a good candidate for the dealer to get them on a :spyder2: to try out.

I bought mine last year at Caswell's in Mora; I live in Duluth and had checked out one in Grand Rapids but Caswell's is very active with :spyder2: riders and very helpful. I believe that they are listed on he home page of this site. Good luck! I love the stability of my Spyder! :yes::clap:

C. Lee
04-27-2016, 02:35 PM
I have been in the search mode for a spyder that I could ride for an extended period of time to make sure I was making the right purchase. The spyder dealers in my area either won't allow a road test or take you on a ride along with a sales man who leads you on your test ride. The second option was not a long ride and didn't allow you to really get a feel for the machine or what it could do. I found a used one at another motorcycle dealer and they allowed an extended ride with out someone following you. I rode it for an hour and a half, got a good feel for the machine and currently am negotiating the purchase. It's very difficult to find a way to ride these machines. You'd think it would be easier if they really wanted to sell them. Good luck with your search. Chris

Babyblue
04-30-2016, 12:53 PM
I live in northern MN. and am wanting to purchase a Spyder to ride with my husband. I have never had a bike in the past and my husband thinks it would be a good idea for me to rent a Trike for a while to see if I even like it or not. Makes perfect sense to me, but I am having trouble finding anyplace that rents them outside of Newark, NJ or the west coast. Anybody have any suggestions? There is a Harley place in Eastern MN. that rents trikes, would that give me a similar feel at least? I know the wheels in the back are different, but are they close enough to let me decide if I like it or not? I am not willing to learn to ride a 2 wheeled bike, they scare me.

Hey there:

Like you I wanted to ride with my Hubby, not on the back of his Harley. Since you are located more north than I am, (Minneapolis) I STRONGLY suggest going to Caswell's in Mora. I purchased my CanAm there in 2012. Les, the owner, took me on a good 1/2 hour test ride.

I doubt you will find anyone to rent out a CanAm, so going for a GOOD test drive would be the best for you. If you have ever ridden a snow mobile, you will take to a Spyder like a duck to water. Not having any preconceived notions from riding a 2 wheeler will help.

When I bought my Spyder I rode 90 miles to get home and never felt uncomfortable. I didn't get my license until I was 56. I had to get it on a 2 wheeler as there was no place for 3 wheel classes.

Go to Caswell's. You will not be disappointed. Jamie was our sales person. I purchased a SE5-RT. I prefer it over the sportier modes.

Good Luck.

Lori;)

Babyblue
04-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Just a post script. When I took my 2 wheel class, I was scared spitless. I am a real klutz, but after 2 days of class I had my endorsement.

If you want to contact me, here is my email: lwillits@comcast.net. I don't know your age, but I am 62 and I ride my Spyder everywhere including grocery shopping.

Again, good luck!
Lori