PDA

View Full Version : Broken tab on rear tupperware.

Indiana Ken
04-26-2016, 02:48 PM
I was removing the rear tupperware to fix a rear light problem, and I broke the tab near the left rear saddlebag. (#$% :banghead:)

As I looked on the internet for possible ways to fix it, I read there are all kinds of plastic Weld, glues etc. that might be used, but they all say that some don't work on PVC, some don't work on brittle plastic etc.

Just wondering if anybody knows what kind of plastic, the tupperware is made of.

pegasus1300
04-26-2016, 03:00 PM
go down to your local plumbing supply store and buy a small can of PVC pipe glue. Works really well on black plastic which our tupperware is.

cptjam
04-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Buy online. Works great!

Tazzel
04-26-2016, 05:16 PM
I have used acetone. Works well. Once the plastic is soft, you an shape it anyway you want. When dry, it hardens like new.

SPYD1
04-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Two part epoxy. Been there. No further issues. Easy to break the first time.

Lew L
04-26-2016, 06:08 PM
I also broke a tab on tupperware. The cross section is just toooooo thin. I used JB Weld and a piece of 28ga. galvanized steel cut to fit and imbeded in the epoxy. Then when assembeling I purposly left the screw out. I had PVC glue on the shelf.

Next time a piece of tupperware ( PVC pipe???? ) breaks I'll try the PVC pipe cement.

Broken tupperware cause me :::::

Kaos

ThreeWheels
04-26-2016, 06:14 PM
This is the best stuff for plastic repairs.
If you can, use some fiberglass as a matrix to support the plastic. For small repairs, I've found that fiberglass joint tape for repairing wall board is very adequate.
On safety point. When they say, use in a well ventilated are, they aren't kidding. This stuff smells very bad.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94738&d=1410003954

Fatcycledaddy
04-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Buy online. Works great!
:agree::agree:Works great. I broke the tab off and created a new one with this.

eddieshep999
04-27-2016, 03:52 AM
I was removing the rear tupperware to fix a rear light problem, and I broke the tab near the left rear saddlebag. (#$% :banghead:)

As I looked on the internet for possible ways to fix it, I read there are all kinds of plastic Weld, glues etc. that might be used, but they all say that some don't work on PVC, some don't work on brittle plastic etc.

Just wondering if anybody knows what kind of plastic, the tupperware is made of.

I had the same problem on my previous Spyder my solution was to diill a hole on the flat piece of the Tupperware where it sits on the pannier frame making sure it's in line with the hole where the bolt goes through whicn secures the panel. I then secured the panel with a cable tie (zip tie) through the hole in both parts and pulled it tight you only need to cut the tie when you need to remove the panel

SPIDR1
04-27-2016, 04:25 PM
I do carry zip ties for any emergencies while riding. Your idea is a good one! Why mess around with glues, cements etc. when there is a simple solution.

I had the same problem on my previous Spyder my solution was to diill a hole on the flat piece of the Tupperware where it sits on the pannier frame making sure it's in line with the hole where the bolt goes through whicn secures the panel. I then secured the panel with a cable tie (zip tie) through the hole in both parts and pulled it tight you only need to cut the tie when you need to remove the panel

UtahPete
04-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Good idea. I'll have to try this. I also broke off those flimsy tabs. Otherwise I'll try the Plastex solution and Lew's idea to try to rebuild the tabs.

trikermutha
04-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Hot Plastic Welder. I always wanted to try one out.

UtahPete
04-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Hot Plastic Welder. I always wanted to try one out.
Good excuse, right?

MR. H1956
04-01-2018, 02:15 PM
This is the best stuff for plastic repairs.
If you can, use some fiberglass as a matrix to support the plastic. For small repairs, I've found that fiberglass joint tape for repairing wall board is very adequate.
On safety point. When they say, use in a well ventilated are, they aren't kidding. This stuff smells very bad.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94738&d=1410003954
I have used this also. It works great. J b weld quick set is a good to have used it several times

trikermutha
04-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Good excuse, right?

You bet! :roflblack:

eddieshep999
04-02-2018, 04:30 AM

Update

Since I posted this I decided to remove all 4 tabs as even with 2 tabs still attached refitting that panel is difficlult having to bend it into place
I now only have to remove 4 bolts cut the 4 Zip ties (Cable ties) and the panel is easier to remove and refitting it is no longer a strain on those tabs you just have to bend the Zip ties to thread them back through the existing bolt holes and pull them tight making sure they sit tight in to the existing recess where the bolts normally sit

I think the panel is a much tighter fit and there is no problem with the opening & closing the saddlebag lids or with the alignment of the lids

i have posted some photos

oldguyinTX
04-02-2018, 12:55 PM
go down to your local plumbing supply store and buy a small can of PVC pipe glue. Works really well on black plastic which our tupperware is.

Great idea. I ever thought of that. I have two broken off, and will give that a try. I even already have the primer & glue. Thanks!:thumbup:

UtahPete
04-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Update Since I posted this I decided to remove all 4 tabs as even with 2 tabs still attached refitting that panel is difficlult having to bend it into place I now only have to remove 4 bolts cut the 4 Zip ties (Cable ties) and the panel is easier to remove and refitting it is no longer a strain on those tabs you just have to bend the Zip ties to thread them back through the existing bolt holes and pull them tight making sure they sit tight in to the existing recess where the bolts normally sit I think the panel is a much tighter fit and there is no problem with the opening & closing the saddlebag lids or with the alignment of the lids.

i have posted some photos

Great solution! Thanks.

UtahPete
04-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Is tupperware PVC or ABS? I thought it was ABS, but could be wrong about that.