PDA

View Full Version : coast to coast in 50 hrs

jcasey
04-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Hi all,
A friend of mine has just completed the Ironbutt coast to coast in 50 hrs on a RT. Spyders are competing in the tough rides and doing fine! He is on this list but is getting some well needed sleep. Maybe he will chime in.:yes::yes::yes:

nakerr
04-26-2016, 02:11 PM
I have some friends that have done this and other more extreme ones like 4 Corners of US, etc. Admittedly most riders are not in any shape to do these type of rides. However, it is like most other things if you are very physically fit and work up to it over time I believe that these type of rides are safe. Take a look at the IBA site www.ironbutt.com (http://www.ironbutt.com) ; safety is a big part of their philosophy.

Rockwall
04-26-2016, 02:17 PM
Just like running marathons some people like to see how far they can push themselves and their machines.:doorag:

PrairieSpyder
04-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Wow! :yikes: Good for him.

That wouldn't be something I'd be interested in tackling, but it's good that Spyders are representing.

SPYDERGUY1
04-26-2016, 04:12 PM
That seems intensley insane AND DANGEROUS. I am doing the CANNONBALL 500 in Canada, and that is my limit. Done it before but never on a sanctioned run.

jcasey
04-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Ironbutt rides are built with safety in mind. This ride for instance is 50 hrs and 2200 miles. If you averaged 55 MPH you would have 10 hrs for rest and sleep. Most go the limit or a little above. For instance in Texas the limit is 80 MPH so you would gain some more rest time moving at 80 Also like said above you need to train and be in shape to do this. I know a bunch of extreme road riders and they are the most safety conscience out there.:thumbup:

Chupaca
04-26-2016, 09:54 PM
From where to where...?? I've done coast to coast in florida many times in way less time...:roflblack: I did conn to SD in 63 hours driving time in a 18' u-haul and trailering the mini cooper....but nothing to do with the iron butt. He must be bushed and very pleased with himself.....:clap:

sandeejs
04-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Congrats to him.
I'd like to hear his 2 cents when he is rested.
~Sandee~

Hi all,
A friend of mine has just completed the Ironbutt coast to coast in 50 hrs on a RT. Spyders are competing in the tough rides and doing fine! He is on this list but is getting some well needed sleep. Maybe he will chime in.:yes::yes::yes:

GeorgiaBill
04-27-2016, 04:15 AM
From Jacksonville Beach to some beach in San Diego. He's got to be very pleased with himself.

There's a CC50 the hard way scheduled Sept 9 - 12, with 32 riders and 2 passengers currently signed up - no Can-Ams so far. This one goes from New York to San Francisco.

It's not for everyone and certainly not for me, but I salute those who are so inclined. I was so glad to see a Spyder accomplish this.

-Bill

From where to where...?? I've done coast to coast in florida many times in way less time...:roflblack: I did conn to SD in 63 hours driving time in a 18' u-haul and trailering the mini cooper....but nothing to do with the iron butt. He must be bushed and very pleased with himself.....:clap:

ThreeWheels
04-27-2016, 04:41 AM
Congratulations on the achievement.
Why hasn't the award recipient chimed in yet ?

Jheck
04-27-2016, 05:07 AM
He's most likely still sleeping or sitting on a bag of ice:roflblack:

Abbot Spyder
04-27-2016, 05:29 AM
Safety is number 1, physically prepare, mentally prepare, and awesome feeling when it's done. Congratulation. :ani29:

PistonBlown
04-27-2016, 07:27 AM
That's really cool, when they are rested and had a chance to get there ideas sorted it will be good to hear more about it.

Got to say Spyders make really good endurance rally bikes. My only complaint with my RS is the gas tank range.

We don't have offical Iron Butt rallys here but at this years NI 1600 there is an option to have your ride accredited by the Iron Butt Association so I may do that.

CMA/IBA_rider
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Thank you Jim. That is not a very hard ride 46 mile an hour average. But when you throw in two flat tires one on the side of the road. And the Interstate closed for sandstorm and truck racks. We had to take a 110 Mile detour to get around it. We made it in time with 20 minutes to spare. Now we're going through Sierra National Forest Death Valley lost wages Grand Canyon on our way back to East Tennessee.

CMA/IBA_rider
04-27-2016, 09:05 AM
The flat tires were not mine the spider ran perfect. You can follow me the rest of the trip at.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1034556fc1b64352ae

Mr. White
04-27-2016, 11:23 AM
FYI you long distance riders, the Houston TX BMW club will hold it's annual "solstice run" in June on the weekend closest to June 21. They start on IH10 at MM 880 (the TX/LA state line) and ride to MM1 in Anthony, TX. They start at official sunrise and end at official sunset. After the 880 miles, they ride another 120 miles to get their Iron Butt patch. They must average about 67 mph to do the 880 in the 13+ hours between sunrise and sunset. IH10 passes through the middle of Houston, San Antonio and El Paso, slowing them down, so they really move out in west Texas. You'all come, hear.

:spyder2:

jaherbst
04-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi all,

I am running out of why's but once again WHY?

Jack

jcasey
04-27-2016, 04:33 PM

Jack
Because he can!

PistonBlown
04-27-2016, 06:07 PM

Jack

I can't speak for this guy but in my case it's because the lure of the road is very strong, it sings with a voice that I have troubling ignoring. That perfect state of oneness with bike, road and landscape. Of endless distances and endless journeys. Endurance events give me a small opportunity to experience what I really want to be doing forever.

DDT
04-27-2016, 07:20 PM
I can't imagine ever doing this but my hats off to anyone that does and can.

CMA/IBA_rider
04-28-2016, 12:46 AM
RT Spyder got one of the best Saddles. I I needed a lot of ice when i rode Honda Nighthawk from Key West to Deadhorse Alaska in 14 days

Pandy
04-28-2016, 03:59 AM
When we did our first Ironbutt, our termination point was Pitbull in Springfield. Since then, with proper accessories to shift pressure points, Our SS 2000 went a whole lot easier. congratulations on the 50CC. Yes, you did it because you could.
Patrick

TomG
04-28-2016, 06:37 AM
That's really cool, when they are rested and had a chance to get there ideas sorted it will be good to hear more about it.

Got to say Spyders make really good endurance rally bikes. My only complaint with my RS is the gas tank range.

We don't have offical Iron Butt rallys here but at this years NI 1600 there is an option to have your ride accredited by the Iron Butt Association so I may do that.

You do not need an "official" ride to have your ride accredited. I have done several rides and only the first one had a pre-arrangement with the IBA. While the rule are somewhat different between different rides, basically you must have your start and arrival witnessed, and the ride itself documented VI's a log, and gas and meal recieptes.

While my own experience has been limited to the South Eastern US, I suspect the following tips are applicable in varying degrees most everywhere.

Tips (based on a SS2000 ride)
For planning purposes, I figure to fillip every 150 miles, in some areas/TOD more often.
I p!an on eating at least every 6 hours.
I plan on finishing several hours before required to give some breathing room due to road conditions; traffic, construction, heavy rain, etc.
I assume that pit stops will become more frequent after 30-35 hours.
Now, assuming 15 min each fuel/stretch stop, every 150 miles, that's about 4 hours.
Assume eating something more that energy bars every 6 hours @ 30 min each, that is almost another 4 hours.

So all of a sudden, your actual in the saddle time has been reduced by 6-8 hours: that's 6-8 hours @ 0 mph...

Just food for thought.

Good luck,

Tom

hecoon
04-28-2016, 08:27 PM
my wife is 62 rides a 13 victory crosscountry. she has completed 2 ironbutts from the annual convention here in jax fl

she also did a flower sniffer IBA to Alaska last year. and 1 to west va.

going to one in Vermont in july. flower sniffer trips do not ride at night

I put 76k on my 08 spyder and have 65k on my 09
been as far west as Arkansas, north to baltamore
south to key west. only problem with all the miles. the front sprocket came off. dead n the water. AAA to the rescue

SPYDERS ARE GREAT

CMA/IBA_rider
04-29-2016, 12:17 AM
I made the destination Hyder last year also. Mars Pennsylvania to Hyder Alaska in three days. I probably talk to her. I was writing a ST 1300 police bike pulling a cargo trailer.

Allensr
04-29-2016, 12:52 AM
how much fuel did you carry, and how did you carry it. what was your longest distance between fuel stops.
AllenR

SPYDERGUY1
04-30-2016, 10:04 PM
The CANNONBALL 500 AND 1000, is pretty much the same thing. You must be clocked in to start and clocked out to finish,there are checkpoints you need to check in with as well, on the 500 mile ride, there is 5 places you need to check in with, gas receipts must also be provided, not sure about the deal with the 1000, as am not interested. YOU MUST DO the 500 ride in 12 hours or less, and start and finish at the same place. The 1000 is the same deal only in 24 hours, you actually get to stop for the night as long as you complete the start/stop in 24 hours. Looking forward to it.

CMA/IBA_rider
04-30-2016, 11:13 PM

Jack

You ask WHY? That part would be too hard to explain. When you only have one week's vacation. An Iron Butt run will get you there quickly. That's if your riding friend doesn't have Tire problems. 6 days to go home and three of them we're under 300 miles. Going through the Sequoia National Forest and Death Valley made it all worthwhile. God's beautiful creation is not in one spot to view

CMA/IBA_rider
04-30-2016, 11:24 PM
I thank God for his Amazing Creation a fun and safe week. You have a good summer.:riding:

tsmdvl3
05-01-2016, 06:23 PM
I just read someone did the cannon ball on a bmw motorcycle in 38 hrs 49 min Mans name was Carl Reese. Sounds like one hell of a tough ride!!!

mastertek2000
05-01-2016, 06:55 PM
I and the wife did 1000 miles in 17.5

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-01-2016, 11:35 PM
To CMA/IBA_Rider, my hat is off to you. One hell of a ride!! I have been thinking about doing a 1000 mile Iron Butt lately but the coast to coast is something else. Anyone in NC who is thinking about doing one, let me know.

:bowdown::bowdown:

PistonBlown
05-02-2016, 03:52 AM
You do not need an "official" ride to have your ride accredited. I have done several rides and only the first one had a pre-arrangement with the IBA. While the rule are somewhat different between different rides, basically you must have your start and arrival witnessed, and the ride itself documented VI's a log, and gas and meal recieptes.

While my own experience has been limited to the South Eastern US, I suspect the following tips are applicable in varying degrees most everywhere.

Tips (based on a SS2000 ride)
For planning purposes, I figure to fillip every 150 miles, in some areas/TOD more often.
I p!an on eating at least every 6 hours.
I plan on finishing several hours before required to give some breathing room due to road conditions; traffic, construction, heavy rain, etc.
I assume that pit stops will become more frequent after 30-35 hours.
Now, assuming 15 min each fuel/stretch stop, every 150 miles, that's about 4 hours.
Assume eating something more that energy bars every 6 hours @ 30 min each, that is almost another 4 hours.

So all of a sudden, your actual in the saddle time has been reduced by 6-8 hours: that's 6-8 hours @ 0 mph...

Just food for thought.

Good luck,

Tom

I hadn't realised that any ride could be accredited, I just assumed it had to be an official event of some kind. I'll look into that, though I enjoy the camaraderie of the proper rally's.

You're right Tom the stops are where you can lose a lot of time particularly on events like the TT2000 where you have checkpoints as well as the fuel stops. I use a hydration pack filled Powerade (a New Zealand sports hydration drink) so I can drink while riding and just eat homemade energy bars while filling up with petrol. Normally never have anything else to eat unless I've managed to get a couple of hours ahead of schedule, in which case I may have a meat pie as a reward:-) The other thing I ditch is coffee which I must admit is the hardest part for me particularly on the 48 hour events. However as a result my checkpoint stops are down to 10 seconds and petrol stops 2 minutes so it all helps.

Petrol is the biggest issue here particularly at night on the back routes we use. It's not uncommon to find the next petrol station is beyond the range of the Spyder so I carry four 5 litre petrol cans giving me an extra 20 litres (5.2 gallons) range. Even then I came unstuck on the last TT2000 when one of the 24 hour petrol stations was out of action and I'd already used two of my cans. With the checkpoint rally's I spend more time on planning the optimum petrol stops than the route:-)

Thanks,

Jos

CMA/IBA_rider
05-02-2016, 07:44 AM
how much fuel did you carry, and how did you carry it. what was your longest distance between fuel stops.
AllenR

280 on the 50cc 400 miles on the way home

CMA/IBA_rider
05-02-2016, 07:51 AM
The CANNONBALL 500 AND 1000, is pretty much the same thing. You must be clocked in to start and clocked out to finish,there are checkpoints you need to check in with as well, on the 500 mile ride, there is 5 places you need to check in with, gas receipts must also be provided, not sure about the deal with the 1000, as am not interested. YOU MUST DO the 500 ride in 12 hours or less, and start and finish at the same place. The 1000 is the same deal only in 24 hours, you actually get to stop for the night as long as you complete the start/stop in 24 hours. Looking forward to it.

Get your witness to sign you out. Get your fuel receipt starts the ride you run less than 350 miles and fuel in the corners of your route fuel at the end that stops the time get your Witnesses