PDA

View Full Version : Practically Perfect Tankbag!!

John in PA
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I have been looking for a tankbag with way more features than the one offered by BRP since they first offered theirs. I couldn't see paying a hundred bucks for such a plain-jane item. However, the size and shape of the area behind the handlebars available for mounting really limits the selection of usable bags. I got a bright idea and pulled the Cortech Super Mini that I've been using on the Norge and tried it in the space available. BINGO!! We have a winner!!:2thumbs:
So I ordered another one from Newenough.com. $54 plus shipping. Detachable map pocket, rain cover included. Pouches inside for cell phone, notepad, pens, pencils etc. Small extra pouch outside for change, keys, etc. Quick detachable, carry handle. PLENTY of useful features at half the price of the BRP.
Three colors, red, blue, and black!!

Here's a better price: http://www.powersportequipment.com/product_items_detail2.asp?item=716

BE SURE TO ORDER THE STRAP MOUNT, NOT MAGNETIC!!!

Here are some pics and tips on install.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini001.jpg?t=1236046508

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini002.jpg?t=1236046601

Quick mounting instructions: Remove and discard rear beavertail cover that velcro's onto the mounting pad for the bag. Also remove and discard the velcro front strap spacers and plastic strap-keeper buckles. You will only need the straps and plastic snap catches, front and rear. Remove the colored plastic trim piece immediately behind the handlebars and surrounding the console (two screws under plastic fuse cover beneath trunk lid, two plastic button catches under seat) Pass the front strap under the box frame just behind the steering column but immediately ahead of the stamped steel mounting brackets that protrude out either side of the frame just below the handlebars. Slide strap rearward till strap and buckles are wedged between the rubber cover below the steering head and the black plastic trim just lateral to the brackets. Replace the body piece. Only the buckles and strap will now be visible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini003.jpg?t=1236046703

Rear tether: Pass the loop of the rear strap around the box frame under the seat. Remove the two button catches holding the black plastic gas tank cover so strap can be routed BEHIND them. Replace the button catches, pass the buckle end of the strap through the loop and choke it tight. Tighten rear strap so buckle just drops over the edge of the colored plastic body piece. When you close the seat, buckle will be tight against seat edge. (Raising and lowering seat tends to release the buckle, so recheck tightness each time)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini004.jpg?t=1236047545

Snap front buckles and tighten straps TIGHT. Stow extra strap length under tank bag on top of protective pad, or cut off and flame ends to prevent ravelling. Because of hump in Spyder bodywork, the rear of the tankbag tends to wobble slightly, but I believe it will take a "set" after being attached for a while. I might glue a couple small foam wedges between bag and tank protector if it bugs me.

Rider's-eye view

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini005.jpg?t=1236047820

Again, be sure to order the strap-mount version, NOT magnetic!!

Desert Spyder
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I like! I have the CanAm bag which is overpriced. Is that a GPS unit? How did you mount that?

John in PA
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I like! I have the CanAm bag which is overpriced. Is that a GPS unit? How did you mount that?

The GPS is a Zumo 550. Pulled the steering head cover, made a paper template for the 4 holes in the GPS mount and drilled. I used 4 half-inch nylon spacers from the hardware store to get around the curved upper surface of the steering cover. Power wire routed around and below steering head and tapped into the power source for the optional 12V accessory plug found zip-tied to the frame upper left rear of the trunk compartment (not very accessible unless you remove left front bodywork). The wire you want is tied in a cubbyhole in the metal frame just to the immediate rear of the trunk, near the top. It has a rather generous sized rubber boot that's designed to go on Can-Am's optional trunk mount cigarette lighter plug. I don't remember wire polarity or colors, but it's easy to check with a meter. Posi-taps are an easy way to pull low amperage power (as for powering a GPS, or a relay circuit for lights, electric vest, grip heaters, etc) if you want to preserve the plug for it's original use. I just cut mine off and spliced/soldered.

Check the fuse box, as there may (or may not) be a fuse in this slot.

One odd thing about this power source is that it remains powered for 20-30 seconds AFTER the ignition is switched off. But it always shuts down. Not sure what they were thinking on that one...:dontknow:

zzneonzz
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
One odd thing about this power source is that it remains powered for 20-30 seconds AFTER the ignition is switched off. But it always shuts down. Not sure what they were thinking on that one...:dontknow:

I believe this is the shutdown time of the spyders computer that causes this delay.

tomwom
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
:clap: Cool, i'm marking this one. Great job thanks.:2thumbs::spyder2:too.

Don in E Texas
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Wonder if this could be posted in the "How-To" discussion area? You have done a great service for the community and I'd hate to see your information lost (ie: fall off the screen) to those that come on board later.... thanks for taking the time to photo and post.:2thumbs:

don

draboo
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Just what I ve been looking for! With a map slot to put my GPS in.

Thanks for the info!!

SpyderGirl
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
LOVE IT!! I have the Can Am tank bag, but for $55 I might have to upgrade. I've bookmarked this.

bone crusher
03-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I have been looking for a tankbag with way more features than the one offered by BRP since they first offered theirs. I couldn't see paying a hundred bucks for such a plain-jane item. However, the size and shape of the area behind the handlebars available for mounting really limits the selection of usable bags. I got a bright idea and pulled the Cortech Super Mini that I've been using on the Norge and tried it in the space available. BINGO!! We have a winner!!:2thumbs:
So I ordered another one from Newenough.com. $54 plus shipping. Detachable map pocket, rain cover included. Pouches inside for cell phone, notepad, pens, pencils etc. Small extra pouch outside for change, keys, etc. Quick detachable, carry handle. PLENTY of useful features at half the price of the BRP.
Three colors, red, blue, and black!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini004.jpg?t=1236047545

Snap front buckles and tighten straps TIGHT. Stow extra strap length under tank bag on top of protective pad, or cut off and flame ends to prevent ravelling. Because of hump in Spyder bodywork, the rear of the tankbag tends to wobble slightly, but I believe it will take a "set" after being attached for a while. I might glue a couple small foam wedges between bag and tank protector if it bugs me.

Rider's-eye view

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/spydersupermini005.jpg?t=1236047820

Again, be sure to order the strap-mount version, NOT magnetic!!

I put the zumo on the right side handlebar...isn't it hard to deal with where you put it? You have to look down a pretty good amount...on the handlebar, you can use it while riding. I also got the garmin lock so that the cradle cannot be easily taken...I have mine hard-wired to the battery...works like a charm...don't you love the 550?

I have my iphone and scala rider 2 hooked up to it...can listen to music and take occasional phone call, if necessary...

John in PA
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I put the zumo on the right side handlebar...isn't it hard to deal with where you put it? You have to look down a pretty good amount...on the handlebar, you can use it while riding.

Actually, I have wide-angle vision and can see it quite clearly!!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/SparkleFarkle54/chihuahuapic28.jpg

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked: :yikes: :joke:

Actually, I like the security of having it bolted down, and don't like handlebar clutter!!:cheers:

wyliec
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I put the zumo on the right side handlebar...isn't it hard to deal with where you put it? You have to look down a pretty good amount...on the handlebar, you can use it while riding. I also got the garmin lock so that the cradle cannot be easily taken...I have mine hard-wired to the battery...works like a charm...don't you love the 550?

I have my iphone and scala rider 2 hooked up to it...can listen to music and take occasional phone call, if necessary...

Bone Crusher,

Can you tell me the route you took with your gps wiring? I'll be using a powerlet outlet somewhere between the battery and gps.

Thanks

bone crusher
03-04-2009, 02:29 AM
I was lucky enough to have the dealership install the zumo when I bought the bike. I am taking the bike in for service this weekend...I will take a pic or two when it's in the shop and post...

I also highly recommend the garmin 'lock'...you take the nut off and install this thing...it makes it so that the cradle cannot be taken off your bike...think of it this way...no cradle, no zumo...

Bone Crusher,

Can you tell me the route you took with your gps wiring? I'll be using a powerlet outlet somewhere between the battery and gps.

Thanks

jeuchler
03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey, John

I'm still battling with myself (a year now, seriously) about whether to get a $104 BRP tank bag (eBay $89) or a $68 Nelson-Rigg mini CL 400 (http://www.newenoughhp.com/browse/view_product_images/1116) ...

http://www.newenoughhp.com/image/path/8687/small/nr.jpg?1203996688

...or a $54 Cortech like you got.

The width of the "tank" is just over 9 inches (slightly wider than the N-R or Cortech bags), but with that sharp V hip roof, of course!

My question is, did your Cortech quit rocking back and forth (did it shape itself a bit to the Spyder) or not, or did you glue some foam wedges in?

I really like the finish of the N-R stuff, and the service of NewEnough, and I recall some folks here were not pleased with the fit of the BRP bag...:dontknow:

Big Arm
03-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I purchased the Cortec bag just like John in PA shows in his post. I installed it last week according to his instructions, and am very happy with my purchase and the installation, and the overall fit and looks of this tank bag. I don't think the "rocking" of the bag is any big deal, as I think any bag will do this. I also purchased it off ebay with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOURMASTER-CORTECH-SUPER-MINI-STRAP-TANK-BAG-BLACK_W0QQitemZ260373033557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAppa rel_Merchandise?hash=item260373033557&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

jeuchler
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I purchased the Cortec bag just like John in PA shows in his post. I installed it last week according to his instructions, and am very happy with my purchase and the installation, and the overall fit and looks of this tank bag. I don't think the "rocking" of the bag is any big deal, as I think any bag will do this. I also purchased it off ebay with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOURMASTER-CORTECH-SUPER-MINI-STRAP-TANK-BAG-BLACK_W0QQitemZ260373033557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAppa rel_Merchandise?hash=item260373033557&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Thanks for the +1 on John's idea and the photos, Big Arm.

That shape of that flat bottom on that "A house ski-chalet" bodywork was just my concern, as I'm wondering how tight I can get the straps on a generic-fit bag.

Sure, any strap-mounted bag is gonna move a bit...whether it'll be enough to drive me crazy any particular day is another matter.

I wish Cortech or Nelson-Rigg would start making their own (excellent) bags to fit the Spyder.

rleathen
03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I have the Nelson Rigg CL400 mini tank bag and while it fits the area of my spyder quite well I had to velcro in some wedges underneath so that it better fits the shape of teh spyder. Without the wedges the tank bag moves around too much for my liking.

NancysToy
03-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey, John

I'm still battling with myself (a year now, seriously) about whether to get a $104 BRP tank bag (eBay $89) or a $68 Nelson-Rigg mini CL 400 (http://www.newenoughhp.com/browse/view_product_images/1116) ...

http://www.newenoughhp.com/image/path/8687/small/nr.jpg?1203996688

...or a $54 Cortech like you got.

The with of the "tank" is just over 9 inches (slightly wider than the N-R or Cortech bags), but with that sharp V hip roof, of course!

My question is, did your Cortech quit rocking back and forth (did it shape itself a bit to the Spyder) or not, or did you glue some foam wedges in?

I really like the finish of the N-R stuff, and the service of NewEnough, and I recall some folks here were not pleased with the fit of the BRP bag...:dontknow:
Maybe I can help thin the selection down for you. We purchased a BRP tank bag with our Spyder. We would not do it again. The bag is very small, and has a tapered shape to boot, making it barely functional. Also, the taper makes the map pocket extremely small and useless. The bag is water resistant, but not really waterproof, and comes with no rain cover. The velvety bottom panel soaks up water, then stains the tank below. The marks had to be buffed out, and I had to make a foam pad to put in between. I would go with one of the other choices, even if I had to fabricate some foam wedges. The BRP rear seat bag, on the other hand, is as handy as can be, and gets a lot of use.
-Scotty

jeuchler
03-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe I can help thin the selection down for you. We purchased a BRP tank bag with our Spyder. We would not do it again. The bag is very small, and has a tapered shape to boot, making it barely functional. Also, the taper makes the map pocket extremely small and useless. The bag is water resistant, but not really waterproof, and comes with no rain cover. The velvety bottom panel soaks up water, then stains the tank below. The marks had to be buffed out, and I had to make a foam pad to put in between. I would go with one of the other choices, even if I had to fabricate some foam wedges. The BRP rear seat bag, on the other hand, is as handy as can be, and gets a lot of use.
-Scotty

Wow. And yikes.

I think I remember hearing some folks' stray complaints about the BRP tank bag back awhile, but your comments are as if the bag was designed by someone who had no knowledge of it's eventual use, Scotty!

Sorry for your disappointment, but you do get karma credit in the next life for saving me (and anybody else who was considering the BRP purchase who reads this) the same headaches!

You and rleather and Big Arm and and John in PA have definitely helped me with my decision--thank you. :thumbup:

Rando
03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOURMASTER-CORTECH-SUPER-MINI-STRAP-TANK-BAG-BLACK_W0QQitemZ260373033557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAppa rel_Merchandise?hash=item260373033557&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318DITTO!:2thumbs:

bjt
03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the +1 on John's idea and the photos, Big Arm.

That shape of that flat bottom on that "A house ski-chalet" bodywork was just my concern, as I'm wondering how tight I can get the straps on a generic-fit bag.

Sure, any strap-mounted bag is gonna move a bit...whether it'll be enough to drive me crazy any particular day is another matter.

I wish Cortech or Nelson-Rigg would start making their own (excellent) bags to fit the Spyder.

Remember way back when a person who claimed to be from Nelson-Rigg said they were working on a complete line of luggage made specifically for the Spyder? :dontknow:

John in PA
03-23-2009, 06:05 AM
I did add the foam wedges to the bottom of the bag, but I honestly can't say they're that big a deal. ( I can't resist tinkering and tweaking stuff!!) Unless you put bricks or a bag of rocks in the bag, it's not gonna "rock" very much. I used closed cell foam pipe insulation, (sized for half inch pipe, maybe 1 3/4" total diameter??) split it lengthwise, and made two tapered wedges. I glued with GOOP brand adhesive down either side of the bottom, maybe about an inch in from the edge at the back of the bag, tapering toward the center as you go forward.
Snugging the straps is what really pins it down. Your front buckles are going to be right up to the edge of the bodywork, the rear buckle needs the seat to kind of snap past it as you close. Good to go!!:2thumbs:

jeuchler
03-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Remember way back when a person who claimed to be from Nelson-Rigg said they were working on a complete line of luggage made specifically for the Spyder? :dontknow:

Ha!

Yeah, Brian, and I'm "working on" putting wings on my Spyder....

jeuchler
03-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I did add the foam wedges to the bottom of the bag, but I honestly can't say they're that big a deal. ( I can't resist tinkering and tweaking stuff!!) Unless you put bricks or a bag of rocks in the bag, it's not gonna "rock" very much. I used closed cell foam pipe insulation, (sized for half inch pipe, maybe 1 3/4" total diameter??) split it lengthwise, and made two tapered wedges. I glued with GOOP brand adhesive down either side of the bottom, maybe about an inch in from the edge at the back of the bag, tapering toward the center as you go forward.
Snugging the straps is what really pins it down. Your front buckles are going to be right up to the edge of the bodywork, the rear buckle needs the seat to kind of snap past it as you close. Good to go!!:2thumbs:

Terrific.

That's what I was thinking of doing, John--I have some closed small-cell foam from building a kayak (the closed cell wont hold the water).

I popped for the Nelson-Rigg bag (brand loyalty, I guess) last night. Ought to be here for the big banner hand-off. Photos to follow!

Thanks again for all of your advice on this, everybody.

John in PA
03-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Just checked out pics/blurb on the NR bag. Looks like one or the other company copied the design. The only difference I spotted is the Cortech has an extra outside pouch for change, earplugs, turnpike ticket, etc. right behind the carry handle, quick access for small stuff. Can't comment on fit of the NR either, but unless its identical or smaller than the Cortech, it won't work as well, as the Cortech JUST makes it, lengthwise.

LittleJohn
03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
My 2 cents on tank bags,
I would probably have also bought one of the new minis from Cortech or NR, but just before the daytona trip, while I was in the dealeership getting my service done, I helped a salesman answer ALOT of questions by a couple possible purchasers. The sales manager and the Service manager "chipped in" and plopped down a tank bag on my bike as I picked it up for my help and for some delays due to unforseen circumstances during my service (with no complaints from me....hey stuff happens). The price was right, and it gave me a sunglass / snack bag for my 3300 mile trip! I was a happy Ryder.
Yay Pro Powersports of Conroe, TX!:clap:

jeuchler
03-26-2009, 08:12 PM
OK, so I received two (2!) Spyder-related UPS deliveries today plus a USPS Spyder delivery!

My DVD shop manual from Midwest manuals (http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Midwest-Manuals__W0QQ_sidZ60680161?_nkw=brp+spyder&submit=Search) came (hooray), a RAM GPS mount (http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/product.asp?item=RAM-BA) from CycleGadgets.com, and a Nelson-Rigg CL-400 mini tankbag (http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_bags/nelson_rigg/cl400_mini_strapmount_motorcycle_tank_bag.html) from NewEnough.

The RAM mount is much nicer than my cheap-o "suction-cup-on-the-tach" method, and it brings the GPS nice and close without blocking my view of mirrors or instruments.

Thanks again, Scotty for your advice, and John in PA-- I used your recommendations for attachment points for the tankbag. I went for the Nelson-RIgg bag because I've owned three of their bags and am impressed with durability and workmanship. New Enough never fails to deliver on customer service above and beyond. So, there's that loyalty + practicality. ALso, I can't help but like the looks of N-R bags on a Spyder, due to their slogan being imprinted in silver on the black rain cover:

"It's not just another bike."

I haven't test ridden yet (cold rain tonight and I have to work) so I don't know how much the wiggly-wobbly of the tank bag will drive me loco, but I will take the suggestion of cutting some closed cell foam to put under it.

Photos coming this weekend...:doorag:

Of course, after all this my dealer calls and leaves a message that he has a BRP tank bag in stock for me...nojoke

Niagara Falls, Here we come...Oh, yeah, gotta get a banner first!

retread
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey jeuchler, do they still call the western part of route 20 Jacob's ladder? Used to ride my Triumph through there back in the early 60's.

john

powerbyaj
03-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Modified Cortech:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/powerbyaj/West%20Coast%20Spyder%20Ryders/Mods/CortechSMiniBag/418a7a27.jpg

jeuchler
03-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey jeuchler, do they still call the western part of route 20 Jacob's ladder? Used to ride my Triumph through there back in the early 60's.

john

Yep. Good idea for a test ride!
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shirleyb/jacobsladder/seddonmain2003.jpg

jeuchler
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Modified Cortech:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/powerbyaj/West%20Coast%20Spyder%20Ryders/Mods/CortechSMiniBag/418a7a27.jpg

That's a nice mod! No more rock & roll?

(Do you have a pic of the underside?) :thumbup:

Don in E Texas
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for this fine post.... my new, Red, tank bag arrived today...looking forward to installing it.... :clap:

don

powerbyaj
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
That's a nice mod! No more rock & roll?

(Do you have a pic of the underside?) :thumbup:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/powerbyaj/West%20Coast%20Spyder%20Ryders/Mods/CortechSMiniBag/71a0dc83.jpg

Notes: Make straps short as possible to avoid the clips from hitting the seat when pulled tight. I am going to resew the seam again with the straps shorter otherwise was a perfect fit.

vtrider
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I looked at several options for tank bags for my spyder and myself, also liked the Cortech mini the best for price, fit and features. I wasn't crazy about the BRP tank bag for the price and what you get at $99. I purchased the black Cortech mini from my dealer and installed it like John did in this thread. The only difference is, I left the rear beaver tail on and find this will fit ok in between the seat and the plastic covering the tank once it gets matted down several times and forms in place. The beavertail I find will keep the bags rear buckle in place better which also will secure the bag better with less rocking. Here are a couple pics of my tank bag installed.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Cortechbags001.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Cortechbags002.jpg

jeuchler
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I looked at several options for tank bags for my spyder and myself, also liked the Cortech mini the best for price, fit and features. I wasn't crazy about the BRP tank bag for the price and what you get at $99. I purchased the black Cortech mini from my dealer and installed it like John did in this thread. The only difference is, I left the rear beaver tail on and find this will fit ok in between the seat and the plastic covering the tank once it gets matted down several times and forms in place. The beavertail I find will keep the bags rear buckle in place better which also will secure the bag better with less rocking. Here are a couple pics of my tank bag installed.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Cortechbags001.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Cortechbags002.jpg

I talked with vtrider about this version of John's set-up when I saw him last week. He did a nice job, and it really looks sharp; like it was designed for the Spyder.

I went with the N-R tank bag, which is only a little bigger and a little more expensive. vt and I will have to re-review and do a comparison after we've run them for a while! :thumbup:

DynamoBT
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Resurrecting this as I'm about to pull the trigger (finally) on a tank bag.

It occurs to me, however, that I have the Helibar riser which brings the entire handlebar system closer to the rider. Anyone know if the riser is going to change how a tank bag will fit?

NewEnough has the Nelson Rigg bag on sale for $45!! But that one is slightly bigger than the Cortech Super Mini. So don't know quite what to do at this point. Can anyone be of help figuring out if and which tank bag will fit?

jeuchler
11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Resurrecting this as I'm about to pull the trigger (finally) on a tank bag.

It occurs to me, however, that I have the Helibar riser which brings the entire handlebar system closer to the rider. Anyone know if the riser is going to change how a tank bag will fit?

NewEnough has the Nelson Rigg bag on sale for $45!! But that one is slightly bigger than the Cortech Super Mini. So don't know quite what to do at this point. Can anyone be of help figuring out if and which tank bag will fit?

I am pretty sure vtrider is happy with his Cortech fit and finish--maybe he will weigh in again.

The Nelson-Rigg bag is a bit larger (remember everyone seemed to be buying trailers and hard bags last summer--I went the cheap way!) and a bit more expensive, but $45 is a great deal.

It is a bit wobbly, so I took John in PA's advice and put a couple of wedges of foam under it to stabilize it, but I really didn't notice any shifting when I had a normal load (no bowling balls) in it.

Of course money is tight, but $45 is a steal for N-R quality. You could probably even rig it as a rear bag.

Also, they are very good with their return policy if you decide it's just not what you like.

Good luck, Marilyn.

altonk
11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
i bought a first gear mini tank bag

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/F9840E28E57E9CA0862574F1004E4DC4?opendocument

looks nice and a good fit. mounted with their magnet mount and epoxied some magnets under the cover

draboo
11-17-2009, 12:00 AM
I have one of these tankbags and I really like the fit and quality.

You may have an issue with your Helibars, tho.

DynamoBT
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Bummer. After looking at the pictures of the Cortech bag (smaller of the two) mounted, I can tell the Helibar riser is going to be a problem. The Cortech bag just fits in these pictures. The Helibar riser brings the bars a good three inches closer to the ryder. That's going to cause major problems.

I would have loved to have gotten the Nelson Rigg on sale. $45 dollars is a steal!! But the pictures have proved much more informative than anything anyone said. So thanks for posting these.

Anyone have any other ideas of how I could get a map pocket on my tank?? For my ryding, a GPS is too much money for not enough use. Plus, I'm a low tech kind of person.

NancysToy
11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Bummer. After looking at the pictures of the Cortech bag (smaller of the two) mounted, I can tell the Helibar riser is going to be a problem. The Cortech bag just fits in these pictures. The Helibar riser brings the bars a good three inches closer to the ryder. That's going to cause major problems.

I would have loved to have gotten the Nelson Rigg on sale. $45 dollars is a steal!! But the pictures have proved much more informative than anything anyone said. So thanks for posting these.

Anyone have any other ideas of how I could get a map pocket on my tank?? For my ryding, a GPS is too much money for not enough use. Plus, I'm a low tech kind of person.
There are a variety of map pouches available. Dennis Kirk has a suction cup model. Most are magnetic, but magnets or metal epoxied behind the Y-panel would hold them, or maybe even magnetic tape behind the panel. Aerostitch even offers ones that have elastic loops to fasten over your leg or forearm. A Google search for "tank map pouch" will get lots of results. In a pinch, a Ziploc bag and some duct tape or elastic have done it for me.

DynamoBT
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info Scotty. I've been looking at the options you suggested. I'm not thrilled with the suction cup offerings. Because of the contour of the tank, I'm not sure they will sit well on the Spyder. May go with one of the Aerostich arm or leg options. Lord knows that if I keep trying to rely on only my memory, that I'm bound to have problems eventually. I'm lucky if I remember what day it is sometimes!!! :gaah:

NancysToy
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info Scotty. I've been looking at the options you suggested. I'm not thrilled with the suction cup offerings. Because of the contour of the tank, I'm not sure they will sit well on the Spyder. May go with one of the Aerostich arm or leg options. Lord knows that if I keep trying to rely on only my memory, that I'm bound to have problems eventually. I'm lucky if I remember what day it is sometimes!!! :gaah:
I have done thousands of miles with either no map at all, or a map tucked away in my pocket or bags, where I can see it only when I stop. Having only an approximate idea of where I want to go, and wandering along the way, is a lot of fun. I have only owned a GPS for less than a year. Also, I am retired, and I forget what day it is all the time. :D Who cares? :roflblack:

DynamoBT
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Great attitude, Scotty!! I'm retired too. So I should try and worry about these things less!

DynamoBT
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Resurrecting this old thread to announce that I have finally tracked down the BRP Ski-Doo Handlebar bag pictured by vtrider!!!!! I had to hunt high and low for this. It's out of production now. The one I have may the the last bag available on the planet. I AM PSYCHED!!!!! Referred back to this post to see how vt mounted it. I see that he has doubled looped the bag ends. Perfect!!!!! SpyderLovers to the rescue again!!!!!!!!!!