PDA

View Full Version : Gyroplanes: My Other Passion!

Rando
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Be sure to read the 3rd paragraph! The Super Sky Cycle is a motorcycle that converts to a gyroplane. FMI: http://www.rotaryforum.com/

"The World Of Gyroplanes" article
In the March 2009 issue of EAA's magazine "Sport Pilot And Light-Sport Aircraft", is another feature story on gyros, from the prolific keyboard of Tim O'Conner!

Seven pages long, with many color photos of some of the major gyro manufacturers, it even leaks the rumor of RFD developing an entry level ultralight kit with a price range of 10-12K. It also hints of optional electric or hybrid power.

He also explains the Super Sky Cycle and how inventor Larry Neal plans on flying his gyro-motorcycle from Oshkosh, WI to Sturgis, ND for the annual Motor Cycle rally there this coming August. Get ready for gangs of newbies coming into the gyro ranks!

So Tim, how long is the lead time from submission to print? Did you have to get this into their publishing pipeline last summer?

NancysToy
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
So Rando, How do these differ from the gyros of the 20s and 30s, which were outlawed? Other than the fact that W.C. Fields didn't fly on in a movie, that is.
-Scotty

Rando
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
outlawed? -ScottyScotty, you need check out the following link: http://www.sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/2004%20-%2012%20December%20-%20Gyroplanes%20for%20Ultralights%20&%20Sport%20Pilots.pdf They are legal and doing very well! FMI: www.pra.org

tomwom
03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
:agree:So if the Spyder does not workout for me I'll be looking at the Gyro. So get it togather BRP Fix these Spyder webs ,or holes in them. Or i'm out of here.:chat: :read: :chat::spyder2: :spyder2::spyder2::spyder2:

Recluze
03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Rando;

Does one need a pilot's license to fly one of these legally.

If not I am going to get on this.

Rando
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, unless you operate under the ultralight rules. It is very difficult for a gyroplane to "legally" operate under the ultralight rules since the empty weight of the machine cannot exceed 254 pounds.

I have been involved in gyroplanes for over 25 years and I firmly believe that they are best kept secret in general aviation!

AMTJIM
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
We have several small airports around here and a lot of open fields. There's an ultrlight airport near Oracle. I have only seen 1 or 2 Gyros and it may be the same one. Aside from that, there are a lot of ultra's flying around, especially the parafoils. Did you ever see that coporate gyro on discovery channel?