PDA

View Full Version : Best chamoi cloth available??

rworell
04-25-2016, 09:27 AM
I wash my spyder a few times a season (summer) and have a few chamoi's, but none of them in my opinion soak up the water well to dry during rubbing. I understand I have to occasionally ring it out. "lol". But the ones I have just seem to smear the water until I go over it a lot until its gone. Any suggestions??.

Thanks

PMK
04-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Honestly, I use a clean terrycloth towel on the Spyder. There is enough wax on it that it dries easily with no spots.

dlby
04-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Get a (real)
Chamois

Pay the bucks for a big one

Soak it in clean water for at least 15 minutes while washing vehicle

Drag it flat across vehicle whenever possible

Use it 4 - 5 times to get it broke in

Dry it by laying flat over a 5 gallon bucket

It is worth it!
Great tool for drying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

jcthorne
04-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Master Blaster....

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MB3CD-Blaster-Motorcycle/dp/B0002SPCGC

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
i use the air from my compressor with a desicant filter

Copperman
04-25-2016, 10:25 AM
You can always use your leaf blower to get the heavy water off.

cognaccruiser
04-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Yes, things like the Master Blaster work well. I use a similar technique and microfiber towels and would suggest looking at them. Waffle weave microfiber drying towels are good. Get a good one as in all things. Cheap ones are not as good. The good car detailers use them and not chamois'. I've used microfiber towels now for a number of years and would never go back to a chamois. If you have the time, do a little search among the car detailing forums.

Gary

Bobleach45
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM
I use an "Absorber" on my bike and both cars. Does a better job than the chamois. You can get them in the automotive section of Walmart. Keep one in our shower also for the walls there. I have 3 separate so I always have one in the trunk of whatever I am riding. Work well on the windshields also and you can do the whole bike real quick if you get caught in the rain and it stops. The leaf blower works well also and you can get the heavy water off with the leaf blower and then finish it with the Absorber.

Lew L
04-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Have used "the absorber" for years old one is now for door jambs and wheels. New one is for the body and windows. Fast and easy.
Kaos

pegasus1300
04-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Get a (real)
Chamois

Pay the bucks for a big one

Soak it in clean water for at least 15 minutes while washing vehicle

Drag it flat across vehicle whenever possible

Use it 4 - 5 times to get it broke in

Dry it by laying flat over a 5 gallon bucket

It is worth it!
Great tool for drying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

So where would I find one of these big ones?

ARtraveler
04-25-2016, 11:36 AM
So where would I find one of these big ones?

Auto Supply stores or a leather company such as Tandy Leather Co. 5 sq. ft. - 8 sq. ft. is considered a "big one."

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-25-2016, 12:01 PM
You can always use your leaf blower to get the heavy water off.

NO, the air has to be filtered or you can have contaminates blow on it

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Have used "the absorber" for years old one is now for door jambs and wheels. New one is for the body and windows. Fast and easy.
Kaos

isn't depends the 'absorber'?

R FUN
04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
I agree, use the REAL thing, the leather one. I have tried many imitations and nothing works like the real chamois, and the large one is better. Just keep it
rung out and they work great and if looked after will last for years.
Roger

Crisis
04-25-2016, 12:23 PM
I use an "Absorber" on my bike and both cars. Does a better job than the chamois. You can get them in the automotive section of Walmart. Keep one in our shower also for the walls there. I have 3 separate so I always have one in the trunk of whatever I am riding. Work well on the windshields also and you can do the whole bike real quick if you get caught in the rain and it stops. The leaf blower works well also and you can get the heavy water off with the leaf blower and then finish it with the Absorber.

:agree::agree::agree::agree: When it gets dirty just toss it in the washing machine. Love them!!

http://www.amazon.com/Absorber-34900-X-Large-Chamois-Single/dp/B001HXMG74/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461605187&sr=8-3&keywords=absorber+towel

dlby
04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Probably autozone or carquest, O'Reilly auto, etc

Or walmart possibly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Commander
04-25-2016, 12:39 PM
I use the microfiber towels, like it was previously stated make sure that you get the better grade microfiber towels. After you are done you can throw them in the washer, but do not use fabric softener when washing them. I also keep one or two in the Frunk to clean the windshield.

JKMSPYDER
04-25-2016, 12:43 PM
I have used a leaf blower for years to dry my Spyder. I see no reason why a filter would be needed.

Darren111
04-25-2016, 01:04 PM
I use liquid gold self-drying car shampoo by Triplewax. Highly recommended.:yes::yes::yes:

vided
04-25-2016, 03:36 PM
isn't depends the 'absorber'?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128718&stc=1:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Chupaca
04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
I'm with the absorb group. Though the real one's are the best. ...:thumbup:

OlJim
04-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Plus 1 on the microfiber towels, I use the ones from Sam's Club. Then a little Bullet spray wax and you are good to go.

dlby
04-25-2016, 09:22 PM
I drive mine off a cliff (like in Groundhog Day)

Then next morning wake up to Sonny & Cher on radio & nice clean bike in Carport

[emoji41]

Peter Aawen
04-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Me, I'm with the 'real' chamois group, altho I have been known to use a leaf blower to move the bulk of the water first - then the chamois, followed by 'spray on polish off' wax using a dry micro-fibre polishing cloth!! :thumbup:

But as a bit of an aside, it seems a lot of people have trouble with the word 'chamois' - they shouldn't, it's easy!! The animal, a Chamois (pronounced 'shammy') is (vaguely) related to a Sheep, & whether it's being used to describe the animal or the absorbent leather made from its skin, the word chamois is used exactly the same way as you use the word sheep! One sheep, three sheep, a whole mob of thousands of sheep, it's still the same spelling and pronunciation - same with chamois (the animal OR the leather/cloth); one chamois, three or four chamois, or thousands of chamois... still the same spelling & pronunciation! ;)

garb55
04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't use my leaf blower
I take it for a 70mph ride [more fun than leaf blower]
Then come home and if any water is left on bike [usually not]
I use a micro fiber
Big problem is it takes me about a half hour to wash the bike
and 3 or 4 hrs. to dry it :yes::yes::yes:

pegasus1300
04-26-2016, 09:49 PM
in googling around I found several sizes of chamois that were labeled as "real". They were all made of sheep skin even the ones from England. Is it possible to get "real" Chamois from a real Chamois or are they a thing of the past and only "close" sheep skin now taking it's place?

dlby
04-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Perhaps & i dont know[emoji318]