PDA

View Full Version : Question - Brake Part Longevity

Reginald
04-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Looking to clean brakes. Manual calls for new retaining clips and caliper screws. Kits cost about $20 each caliper! Can't find separate parts.

For the DIY, do these really need to be replaced? Has anyone reused them and what's you experience?

On my ST1300 motorcycle, Honda calls for replacement of the "caliper screws" bolts because they come with a lock tight applied. Everyone who pulls maintenance on them just reuses them with medium locktight.

I don't really see these Can Am parts being onetime use parts like crush washers.
Thanks for your consideration.

garb55
04-25-2016, 09:11 AM
I am getting ready to do brakes on my 2014 RTL
I just ordered new brake pads today
I will reuse all other OEM parts
BRP would probably tell you to
buy new shoes when you change your socks :roflblack:

Chupaca
04-25-2016, 09:17 AM
You will find that most of us that do our own work will clean inspect and reuse the parts. Manufacurers always recommend new parts to cover there butts just like asprin in rare occasion causes death....but it is your choice...:thumbup:

BajaRon
04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
It's standard CYA for a manufacturer to recommend changing all the brake components. But it isn't necessary. And there is a reason you can't get these parts separately. I'll leave you to speculate on that.

I've replaced my brakes 3 times and I'm still on the original parts. I'll reuse them again when it comes time to replace my brakes for the 4th time.

Be careful with the spring clips. I use a rag around the caliper when I remove them. Otherwise they can shoot out to who knows where. Also, be careful not to bend the clips. They are pretty stout and do not bend easily. But they can be bent if you're too ham fisted.

stillriding
04-25-2016, 06:01 PM
BRP would probably tell you to
buy new shoes when you change your socks :roflblack:[/QUOTE]​That would be expensive for me. I could never afford to buy a pair of shoes once each month.

AY4B
04-26-2016, 06:50 AM
The other day I was looking on the electronic service manual and was shocked at all the parts they say to replace every time you take your rear wheel apart. On the diagram they all say NEW on them meaning to replace.:shocked:

AY4B
04-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Now we know why everything the dealer servce does is so dang expensive. They have to go by the book.