PDA

View Full Version : strange spyder

Jpquinn
04-23-2016, 06:28 PM
when i put the spyder away for winter, i checked and rechecked everything on it including belt tension and it was gaped at 2mm. now remind you it was locked up on second terr of the car trailer. so no one could touch it with out taking the car out and lowering it to touch it. i took it out ran it the 10mi to the house changed new plugs all that and i go to check the belt. now the belt is right up against the rear drive and belt tension is at 200 with the wheel on the ground. any ideas why this would happen? can or does out side temp change what the reading on the belt would be. its a 2009 with just over 8000mi on it. i have a dealership almost next door and asked them about doing a lazer alignment on it, they said with my tires still looking like new with 8000mi on the its a waste of money because they look like new and its unusual for a spyder tires not to wear on the insides first. just wondering others thoughts on this. thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Sometimes they move around trying to get out and have some fun on their ownsies :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.......Mike :bbq:

Jpquinn
04-23-2016, 07:33 PM
That's probably what it did. Lol

PistonBlown
04-23-2016, 11:42 PM
I have a dealership almost next door and asked them about doing a lazer alignment on it, they said with my tires still looking like new with 8000mi on the its a waste of money because they look like new and its unusual for a spyder tires not to wear on the insides first. just wondering others thoughts on this. thanks

If your front tires are wearing evenly then the alignment should be good. If they are out of alignment, even by a small amount, you soon see more wear on the inside or outside of the tire. In my case I initially started getting wear on the inside of the tires so I got it laser aligned and that sorted it. A couple of years later the left tire suddenly started wearing on the outside edge - it had obviously got knocked out by something so I got them re-lazered and it fixed the problem. Both times it wasn't particularly bad but really showed up in the tire wear.

Chupaca
04-24-2016, 01:05 AM
I wonder about the one who told you that...:rolleyes: the laser alignment is more to keep all wheels going in the same direcction in sync. It does help with wear but I would reccomend the alignment regardless of tire condition...your handling will be greatly improved and could even help your belt issue seeing as you start by aligning the rear tire first...:thumbup:

PW2013STL
04-24-2016, 05:43 AM
If I am reading this correctly than the person at your dealership is telling you to wait until you see your tires wearing badly before you try to fix the issue. :shocked:

Since over 90% of the Spyders that have the laser alignment checked need it (this is from talking to those I trust that do this work) I would say find someone else that does laser alignment and have it done - it's worth it!

Jpquinn
04-24-2016, 09:04 AM
I'll find another dealer and have them do it. I talked to a buddy that went to the same dealer. He was told #1 they have it but haven't ever used it. #2 they told him it's not really a lazer alignment such as on a car. So I'm guessing they have no idea as to what they are doing. Thanks again for everyone's input.