PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis

jimclarkf1
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
HI :spyder:s I was wondering if there ia any one going to STURGIS this Aug, and do you know of any :spyder:friendly campgrounds.

SpyderByter
03-02-2009, 05:17 AM
I was considering it this year. Never have been to it, so i can't help you with the campground thing. I would be looking to stay in a motel, my back won't let me camp. Have you ever been to the rally?

Director
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I was considering it this year. Never have been to it, so i can't help you with the campground thing. I would be looking to stay in a motel, my back won't let me camp. Have you ever been to the rally?

I'm not sure I would be in a big hurry to take my Spyder to Sturgis. This is basically a Harley rally, and there have been many stories of a less than friendly reception being given to "other" brands. A friend of mine rode his V-Max there a few years ago, and had some beer cans thrown at him as he was riding down the main street minding his own business. :yikes: I know some BMW riders who had similar experiences. I would consider going there at other times of the year, as the roads and scenery are beautiful, but personally, I would not go during the rally. nojoke

Bruce

Greg H.
03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
HI :spyder:s I was wondering if there ia any one going to STURGIS this Aug, and do you know of any :spyder:friendly campgrounds.

A bit off topic, I know. But, do you remember April 7th, 1968? :(

I do. And, I am in a unique minority here in the midsouth. In racing, my passion is open wheel. :thumbup:
That might be a result of me growing up in Indy. :)

cisaacs
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Lamonster rode his spyder to Sturgis last summer and from what he said it was a great trip and had no problems and did not say anything about being downed by Harley guys. I have a Yamaha Raider and will be in Sturgis as long as the economy does not cut into the toy budget any more and have no fears about being accepted. Seems like things have changed in the past years and it does not make a diffrence what you ride as long as you ride.

Director
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Lamonster rode his spyder to Sturgis last summer and from what he said it was a great trip and had no problems and did not say anything about being downed by Harley guys. I have a Yamaha Raider and will be in Sturgis as long as the economy does not cut into the toy budget any more and have no fears about being accepted. Seems like things have changed in the past years and it does not make a diffrence what you ride as long as you ride.

Good to hear. Maybe the rally is populated by kinder, gentler Harley owners these days! :2thumbs:

Bruce

SpyderGirl
03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Save your money, come to Gatlinburg in September! :clap:

HD2CANAM
03-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I have been to Sturgis several years(1990 to 1996) with a group of Harley riders (myself included), but over a period of years, most of my friends have either gone to the great beyond or quit riding. It is true that it is mainly a Harley event, but I have a picture hanging on my wall of myself and wife standing on a corner in 1990 at Sturgis with a Honda Aspencade parked at the curb behind us. I believe over the years that it has become even more "Biker" friendly irregardless of which brand you ride. Believe me if you go for the first time, it will be an event you will never forget. As far as a motel room unless you know someone that knows someone you can forget it unless you want to stay over a hundred miles away.

Roaddog2
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I have been to Sturgis several years(1990 to 1996) with a group of Harley riders (myself included), but over a period of years, most of my friends have either gone to the great beyond or quit riding. It is true that it is mainly a Harley event, but I have a picture hanging on my wall of myself and wife standing on a corner in 1990 at Sturgis with a Honda Aspencade parked at the curb behind us. I believe over the years that it has become even more "Biker" friendly irregardless of which brand you ride. Believe me if you go for the first time, it will be an event you will never forget. As far as a motel room unless you know someone that knows someone you can forget it unless you want to stay over a hundred miles away.:agree::spyder2:

crazycanuck
03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
so is anyone planning on actually going to Sturgis for sure?

sleepman
03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure I would be in a big hurry to take my Spyder to Sturgis. This is basically a Harley rally, and there have been many stories of a less than friendly reception being given to "other" brands. A friend of mine rode his V-Max there a few years ago, and had some beer cans thrown at him as he was riding down the main street minding his own business. :yikes: I know some BMW riders who had similar experiences. I would consider going there at other times of the year, as the roads and scenery are beautiful, but personally, I would not go during the rally. nojoke

Bruce

They just did a segment on Sturgis on Superbikes. Way more friendly to different makes of bikes now. Of course the typical Harley owner as changed over the years as well. I've owned a couple HD's and think of myself as a pretty nice guy.:thumbup:

crazycanuck
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
They just did a segment on Sturgis on Superbikes. Way more friendly to different makes of bikes now. Of course the typical Harley owner as changed over the years as well. I've owned a couple HD's and think of myself as a pretty nice guy.:thumbup:

so you are going?:dontknow:

all my riding buddies laugh at me now because I don't ride my bike that much now:mad: they say I am riding a skidoo with wheels

Director
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM

I am actually a former H-D owner myself (1990 FLHS). Bought it new, had it for five years. It was a pretty comfortable touring bike. I also think I'm a nice guy, even when I had the big, bad Harley. :D

sleepman
03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
so you are going?:dontknow:

all my riding buddies laugh at me now because I don't ride my bike that much now:mad: they say I am riding a skidoo with wheels

Nope, it's on my list of thing to do. But this year I'm riding to Ohio over Labor day weekend for my family reunion.

SpyderRider2492
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM

First time I went we stayed at a state owned campground just south of Rapid city, Can't remember the name offhand.

A couple of years ago we stayed at a KAO at Devils Tower Wyoming, we took a small cabin at that time, very basic mattress but it was better than a tent and they had a great cafe and bar there as well. Its about 60 miles east of Sturgis, great scenery all around and on the way so it was worth the ride.

The last few years Sturgis has become more than just a Harley Rally in fact there are even dedicated campsites for other brands. Its always a great event regardless and some of the finest country I have ever seen.

crazycanuck
03-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I would like to go if I knew there were other :spyder:riders that were going:pray:

McGone
03-20-2009, 06:14 AM
I am planning on riding my Spyder to Sturgis. Planning on camping at the Buffalo Chip with several Harley riders that have been there before. This will be the first Sturgis rally for me.

We are planning on riding through Wisconsin, Minnestota, North dakota and then to Sturgis. :doorag:

crazycanuck
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
anyone from the west coast going?

Yesterday I was out riding with the sports bike group and ran into some Harley owners when filling up. They were very friendly asking questions about my :spyder:and said hey we would love to see some of these in Sturgis.:2thumbs: