PDA

View Full Version : How much jostling can Syders take?

ruralgirl
04-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Between the dirt/gravel roads that I live on and the paved roads beyond that with their pot holes, stretches of 3D asphalt patching, and just plain cracking/heaving, I'm on pretty bumpy territory much of the time. As I read of all the things that can either make granny go berserk (like simple jarring of sensors) or actual mechanicals run amok (I did install Spyderpop's missing belt guard), I'm finding myself fretting with every pimple on the road. I'm used to tractors, trucks, ATVs, and hardy MCs, so this fragile diva is throwing me for a loop. Just how capable is my beloved 2015 RT-S at withstanding frequent jostling at very modest speeds?

Chupaca
04-23-2016, 01:12 PM
they can take a beating but within rason. You seem to be cautious and you should be fine. Don't hit the changes at full throttle and your good. Make sure eveything is on snug like the panels and mirrors etc. It is hitting potholes at speeds or seriously deep that can jar things loose.....:thumbup:

ruralgirl
04-23-2016, 01:16 PM
they can take a beating but within rason. You seem to be cautious and you should be fine. Don't hit the changes at full throttle and your good. Make sure eveything is on snug like the panels and mirrors etc. It is hitting potholes at speeds or seriously deep that can jar things loose.....:thumbup:

Okay, that's what I was hoping to hear. So far, I've been able to straddle or swerve around the potholes, but the stretches of constant vibration were worrying me. I'm also not used to having a windshield and hearing it jiggle.

BTW, anyone know how I can add the "p" to my misspelled "Syder" title? Apparently, titles can't be edited?

ARtraveler
04-23-2016, 01:42 PM
I would also recommend making sure the fuses and breakers are seated well, on a regular basis.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Just remember it's not an OFF_ROAD machine......If the road is rough SLOW down.....It's really all the Extra LED lighting that you may have to worry about.......JMHO.....Mike :bbq:

trikermutha
04-23-2016, 02:16 PM
It will handle way better than my TRIGLIDE would have..Take your time the spyder can handle it.:thumbup:

manxman
04-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Between the dirt/gravel roads that I live on and the paved roads beyond that with their pot holes, stretches of 3D asphalt patching, and just plain cracking/heaving, I'm on pretty bumpy territory much of the time. As I read of all the things that can either make granny go berserk (like simple jarring of sensors) or actual mechanicals run amok (I did install Spyderpop's missing belt guard), I'm finding myself fretting with every pimple on the road. I'm used to tractors, trucks, ATVs, and hardy MCs, so this fragile diva is throwing me for a loop. Just how capable is my beloved 2015 RT-S at withstanding frequent jostling at very modest speeds?

Here in No. West IN. we have holes ,lumps, patches on patches, cracks, splits and 4" deep holes all over the place. The Spyder RT leaps and careens all over the place and takes in stride. I almost lost it once when I hit a smooth spot......................

Ron2andia
04-23-2016, 04:22 PM
I had to learn that straddling a whole hits the back tire.. Ouch... A change coming from 2 wheels where you just quickly swerve around it.

ruralgirl
04-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Thanks, everyone! I do slow way down for the worst stuff (I'm not a hot rod rider anyway), and I'll watch for loose fuses and breakers, etc. I rode today and felt a lot better about my rough roads. :)

ruralgirl
04-23-2016, 04:40 PM
I had to learn that straddling a whole hits the back tire.. Ouch... A change coming from 2 wheels where you just quickly swerve around it.

Yup, the triangle line-up thingie! The first pothole I came across by surprise as I rounded a corner on my second ever Spyder ride, I straddled dead center like I would on my ATV. Big jolt to my tailbone and I grunted out loud in sympathy and worry for my Spyder! Now it's like honing a game of skill lining up potholes halfway between a front tire and me.

Bob Denman
04-23-2016, 05:00 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128572&stc=1

4 MARIE
04-23-2016, 06:01 PM
I have been swallowed by half-hidden potholes and all other manner of road woes, and Spyder is very
resilient and has enough flexibility built in , that My opinion is relax, if you hit something massive, like a curb,
stop and check it out, but otherwise, you'll be good to go.

ruralgirl
04-23-2016, 09:50 PM
I have been swallowed by half-hidden potholes and all other manner of road woes, and Spyder is very
resilient and has enough flexibility built in , that My opinion is relax, if you hit something massive, like a curb,
stop and check it out, but otherwise, you'll be good to go.

Good to hear!! Thanks!

cognaccruiser
04-24-2016, 09:47 AM
My thoughts are that the bracket holding the windscreen might be susceptible to bad jolts as well as the mirrors because of the way they are removed. Seem to recall reading something in here about a mirror being shaken off by a bad pothole.

The other thing that comes to mind are screws being loosened up and possibly lost. If you really have a lot of shaking, I'd check them over periodically for tightness. Just this week I noticed while ryding that one of the dashboard screws was jiggling around. Pulled over and it was just sitting there so put it in my pocket and put it back in when I got home. Decided to check the other 3 screws in the dash and each one could be tightened slightly without reefing on them. Should post this as a caution in a separate post.

Gary

ruralgirl
04-26-2016, 12:15 PM
My thoughts are that the bracket holding the windscreen might be susceptible to bad jolts as well as the mirrors because of the way they are removed. Seem to recall reading something in here about a mirror being shaken off by a bad pothole.

The other thing that comes to mind are screws being loosened up and possibly lost. If you really have a lot of shaking, I'd check them over periodically for tightness. Just this week I noticed while ryding that one of the dashboard screws was jiggling around. Pulled over and it was just sitting there so put it in my pocket and put it back in when I got home. Decided to check the other 3 screws in the dash and each one could be tightened slightly without reefing on them. Should post this as a caution in a separate post.

Gary

Thanks, Gary! I'll keep an eye on all those things, and today I'm adding a couple of appropriate multi-tool gadgets to my permanent stash on the Spyder. I knew my penchant for collecting every tool I see on sale would pay off one day.