PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have a burning Question

gjco
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
OK here it goes. The H-D guys/girls where Leather chaps and the Sport bike guys/girls where the padded riding pants. What side of the line are the Spyder guys/girls going to fall on? What do you where when you are riding? I like the look of both and I think that the leather breaks the wind better and is not as bulky, but not so sure it looks except able with the spyder.

AMTJIM
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm a big fan of the textile my self, no more leather.

ataDude
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I use a fabric, armored jacket... like the crazies... but kevlar jeans with Bohn armor underneath.

OK here it goes. The H-D guys/girls where Leather chaps and the Sport bike guys/girls where the padded riding pants. What side of the line are the Spyder guys/girls going to fall on? What do you where when you are riding? I like the look of both and I think that the leather breaks the wind better and is not as bulky, but not so sure it looks except able with the spyder.

crazycanuck
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I have my leathers from my Ducati but I got a textile jacket and will do the same for pants and got Puma mid high boots which I think is good setup for the Spyder IMHO

RoHo
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
:dontknow: I like the riding gear BRP offers. By the way, I got the safety video when they delivered my Spyder last week: does anyone know who makes the riding boots being worn by the guy on the video???

:spyder2: Roho :spyder2:

bone crusher
03-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I wear cordura, mesh, and leather...depends on weather and mood...all have armor...not that it will do too much if we fly off our bikes at a high speed.

I'm looking to get an impactjacket soon...worth the money, no question...nothing can beat a jacket with airbags that deploy in about 50 milliseconds!

Arachnaphile
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I wear cordura, mesh, and leather...depends on weather and mood...all have armor...not that it will do too much if we fly off our bikes at a high speed.

I'm looking to get an impactjacket soon...worth the money, no question...nothing can beat a jacket with airbags that deploy in about 50 milliseconds!

I think it's 500 milliseconds (car airbags deploy at around 170 milliseconds), still the best option out there IMO....I checked their site, they seem to be out of their size L and 1X (I'm guessing police depts. are snapping them up, but idk)....there's a news story on youtube about a rider who was thrown 50 yards off his bike, came to a rest 100 yards away from impact (he was cut off by a car that braked suddenly), and he walked away with a broken thumb and a sprained shoulder....

I will be getting this when I purchase my Spyder....

eta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGDwBiTYdU&eurl=http://www.impactjackets.com/news.html

shunkmanitu
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
>>>> comfortable in relaxed Sport Touring Mode. The standard Spyder seating position with no risers is just about perfect. I could use just a couple inches forward for the pegs and prefer pegs a bit larger for my big feet.

My last two bikes were both Hondas, a SportCommuter Pacific Coast 800 and a UJM NightHawk 750. My riding is relaxed to spirited.

Riding clothing is everyday jeans, and sleeveless tee-shirt. Cold or rain gear is used as needed. I will always have some sort of over shirt to cover my 9mm side arm. That will range from a very light tropical shirt, leather or denim vest, denim jacket, or medium leather jacket. I will not wear shorts beyond the confinds of my back porch unless in the surf.

Nearly always wear either a half or three-quarter open face helmet with a flip shield. Very cold seather might bring out the a standard full face. My long hair and common sense require that I do not ride without a helmet. Foot wear for the Spyder is my everyday elk or bison leather mocs with heelless leather soles. For two wheels I would use something more substantial with durable soles.

No matter what I am wearing this old man can Break Wind with the best of them. As a matter of fact, the older I get the better I am at it.

strats
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5 leather jacket, Joe Rocket Alter Ego textile pants and SIDI Vertigo Corsa boots

bone crusher
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah...that sounds right...it was at .5 seconds, but the owner of impactjackets told a few of us here that he's cutting that time in half by the spring of 2009 (that means almost now)...

There's another brand that is competitive with the impactjackets...it's called 'Hit Air'...also seems to be quite good.

I live here in MD and the impact jackets are made about 25 minutes from me, in Silver Spring. I will have time in early summer to take a ride down there and check them out first hand...perhaps report back if enough of us here would like a group discount and perhaps some other lettering... something on the jacket other than 'impact' on the back and 'pharaoh' on the front.

Who knows? At least they make it in yellow.

I think it's 500 milliseconds (car airbags deploy at around 170 milliseconds), still the best option out there IMO....I checked their site, they seem to be out of their size L and 1X (I'm guessing police depts. are snapping them up, but idk)....there's a news story on youtube about a rider who was thrown 50 yards off his bike, came to a rest 100 yards away from impact (he was cut off by a car that braked suddenly), and he walked away with a broken thumb and a sprained shoulder....

I will be getting this when I purchase my Spyder....

eta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGDwBiTYdU&eurl=http://www.impactjackets.com/news.html

Arachnaphile
03-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah...that sounds right...it was at .5 seconds, but the owner of impactjackets told a few of us here that he's cutting that time in half by the spring of 2009 (that means almost now)...

There's another brand that is competitive with the impactjackets...it's called 'Hit Air'...also seems to be quite good.

I live here in MD and the impact jackets are made about 25 minutes from me, in Silver Spring. I will have time in early summer to take a ride down there and check them out first hand...perhaps report back if enough of us here would like a group discount and perhaps some other lettering... something on the jacket other than 'impact' on the back and 'pharaoh' on the front.

wow....that would be quite an inflation rate.....much better in case of immediate impact after vehicle separation.....I imagine they would have to beef up the material for the inflatable bladder and increase the pressure of the compressed air canister....hope the price doesn't jump up, but if it did, it would still be worth it.....

I can't find a "Hit Air" dealer stateside, but I haven't looked really deeply into it...pretty much settled on the Impactjacket, especially after seeing the story in the link....

As for a group buy....that would be awesome....thx for the added info....

mrb
03-02-2009, 01:59 AM
I can't find a "Hit Air" dealer stateside, but I haven't looked really deeply into it...pretty much settled on the Impactjacket, especially after seeing the story in the link....

As for a group buy....that would be awesome....thx for the added info....
My wife and I both use HitAir jackets. Have not had an accident yet :yikes: and hopefully wont do but I feel safer for wearing them.

sleepman
03-02-2009, 05:00 AM
I learned a long time a got that you need to find what's right and comfortable for you and not fall in with what you think you should be wearing.

For me I like textile jackets because they're cooler in the heat and most come with removable quilted and rain liners. But I also like leather chaps because the provide good leg protection from the elements and are easily removed and stored.

Biggest thing is to find what works for you. Riding gear is a lot like a helmet, what works for one person isn't necessarily the best for the next.

GI Jane
03-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Personally I think you need to wear what you feel comfortable in. Weather also dictates. I wear my thermosuit when cold, leather jacket and chaps when not so cold. I love leather and have not had anyone yet tell me it's "not acceptable" to wear on the Spyder. If we wanted to fit in with the crowd we wouldn't have Spyders now would we? :)

bone crusher
03-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...this is America...well, at least for now...who knows what we'll be like in a few years...

Anyway, airbag jackets are the future...they do/will save lives and they are vastly better than any padded jacket...no question about it...comfort is a non-issue as they should all be comfortable...

Hopefully, nobody will ever fly off their bikes...if you do, you'll want one of these on and you'll certainly prefer these to whatever you're wearing now, no matter how comfortable and/or good looking your current jacket is...if not, then you've alreadly likely had too many falls, IMHO...

Take a look here for hit air jackets...

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/CTGY/AT#models

Look here for impact jackets...

www.impactjackets.com (http://www.impactjackets.com)

I'd love to get a group order together and take it to impactjackets...ask the owner to put different print on them...

Jeff in Dallas
03-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I usually wear what I have on plus either a 1/2, 3/4 or full helmet and gloves. If it's cold, I adjust accordingly with gloves, jackets, footwear, etc. I have a several options I can choose from based on what I need.

GA-SPYDER
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Still wear the metric cruiser duds, leather jacket with zip-out liner when needed, leather chaps, and over-the cuff ski gloves when it is really cold. Wear a full-face when it is cold and a half helmet when it is not.
I'm not a Joe Rocket kind of guy.

NancysToy
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I have full leathers, chaps, solid textiles, and mesh. I wear what the weather and my mood dictate, pretty much. Can't say that the chaps are suitable for the Spyder or naked bikes, in cool weather. My thighs always got cold. The leather pants are a pain, though, since you must wear them all day. The textile overpants are much more convenient. In very hot weather I even have worn the mesh ones over shorts. I'm a firm believer in boots on bikes, too...coming from my competition roots. Maybe not as important on a Spyder, but at least wear sturdy shoes. Most important of all, even if you ride in a T-shirt, is gloves. First thing you do in a crash is put your hand down to stop you. Hands heal slowly and painfully. Not much meat there, and lots of moving parts. The helmet is a given as far as I'm concerned. After a fall onto my face and a severe head injury (wearing a full face helmet) I am not hitting the highway without a good, full face helmet.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

Sara
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
---------------look at every thing out there, and chose what makes you feel right for the "look and the weather'" In the summer, when the sun is in full bloom, many of us have to keep covered---a tight, white arm cover is great---silk is good.

ataDude
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
....if not, then you've alreadly likely had too many falls, IMHO...

You rang? :D

This is just part of my accessory package. The other pieces are two, 165mm bolts through my pelvis:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=435

mc2276
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I usually wear jeans, long sleeve shirt, gloves, helmet, boots, and bright orange safety vest. All mandated by the good ole Marine Corps as minimum and mandatory. Now weather dictates what I wear though. When cold, have a leather jacket and insulated jeans. When there is a slight chill, I wear a mesh jacket with removable liner. But when the heat of the summer gets here, it is just a long sleeve shirt.

tatt2r
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
latex rubber ...works great ...a little swampy after a long ride but it stays nice and dry... and god forbid if you ever get knocked off bike you bounce ....:D:D:D:coffee:

SpyderGirl
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
First of all.... ROFL on what Tattr said. I now have a mental image of him bouncing down the street.

Second of all, I've always like textile/mesh. I wear the BRP caliber jacket and pants, full fingered gloves, full face helmet, and Harley riding boots. For the summer I usually trade out the pants for jeans and take the liner out of my jacket. I want to be protected, but I also do not want to suffocate when it's 90+ degrees out.

When I was in Phoenix last year I rode in a t-shirt, tennis shoes, bermuda shorts, a do-rag, sunglasses, and no helmet... but only to go a few miles away. It was fun, but I think I like the helmet. Here is a photo of me on the Spyder in Phoenix with my friends' kid on the back. I took him to school on the Spyder.

HD2CANAM
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I have all types of Leathers (Chaps and Jackets) left from my Harley days, but on the Spyder I wear anything I have on at the time. I do wear a beanie type helmet and gloves, but the helmet is just to keep the hair out of my eyes. Guess at my age, I no longer am concerned whether or not I impress anyone with what I wear.

Roger
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Arachnaphile that was a good video. I will be honest on hot days when i use to ride i would wear work boots they protect the ankle,and gloves and fullface helmet. my body ain't much to look at but it is worth the $500.00 for that jacket.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

SpyderDeb
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM

I'd be interested in a group discount! :2thumbs: Been SHOPPING for a non Harley jacket - the BRP clothing doesn't fit me right - and they need a bigger selection! I'm still wearing my H-D jacket (leather, heavy or light depending on weather) if it's real cold H-D textile jacket with heated vest or jacket liner under it, can't say enough about the heated clothing here in MN - it saves the day - heated gloves - boots a must H-D also - chaps for warmth, just got my bike in Oct so looking forward to riding this spring/summer, hopefully it will get warm enough to go without chaps ;) - 3/4 H-D Helmet with pop-up shield - although just purchased the HJC SY-Max II - it has the flip down sunvisor in it - wore it for the first time a couple of weeks ago on our trip to Arizona - didn't cut down on the wind noise as much as I'd hoped so I still wear ear plugs - other than that it was great - gloves always leather again depends on the temp. Clothing is a tool - can't have to many :D

redspyderlady
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I've been trying out the Spyder snowmobiling pants over top of my jeans for the cold weather riding. Works fine and they are comfortable for me, but I doubt I've ridden much under 35-40 degrees.

wyliec
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...this is America...well, at least for now...who knows what we'll be like in a few years...

Anyway, airbag jackets are the future...they do/will save lives and they are vastly better than any padded jacket...no question about it...comfort is a non-issue as they should all be comfortable...

Hopefully, nobody will ever fly off their bikes...if you do, you'll want one of these on and you'll certainly prefer these to whatever you're wearing now, no matter how comfortable and/or good looking your current jacket is...if not, then you've alreadly likely had too many falls, IMHO...

I'd love to get a group order together and take it to impactjackets...ask the owner to put different print on them...

I'm in for a group buy. I notice though that the impact site only appears to have jackets for men based on the sizes they show; I'm sure my gf would like one.

opticat
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Icon riding jeans, and either a mesh armored jacket or a leather jacket. Full face helmet. But this is Florida and things might change when the suck-oven heat :mad: begins.

Arachnaphile
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Arachnaphile that was a good video. I will be honest on hot days when i use to ride i would wear work boots they protect the ankle,and gloves and fullface helmet. my body ain't much to look at but it is worth the $500.00 for that jacket.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Thx...it (the impactjacket) may be less than comfortable....but I'm looking for comforting, as in peace of mind, when I get to ryde......

You rang? :D

This is just part of my accessory package. The other pieces are two, 165mm bolts through my pelvis:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=435
:shocked::shocked::shocked::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Man, you must go through hell at airport security....not even trying to be funny....OUCH.....if you don't mind my asking, how did this happen?!?

Thanks for the HitAir link, and yeah, count me in for the group buy....I'll be looking for that thread when you're ready to put it together...

gjco
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the input. I was just curious what other people were wearing. Not sure what I want to buy yet. I like both looks and the functionality of all of the above. I guess I will have to convince the wife that I need both to go with what the weather is doing and what kinda mood I am in.

Arachnaphile
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for all the input. I was just curious what other people were wearing. Not sure what I want to buy yet. I like both looks and the functionality of all of the above. I guess I will have to convince the wife that I need both to go with what the weather is doing and what kinda mood I am in.

Really good thread, dude....:clap:

GeminiJane
03-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Looks like the wife rides with you, so shouldn't be too hard to convince her you need it all. I'm always finding new jackets for my husband....always on a site that just happens to have one I love too. Would hate to waste that shipping cost on only ONE jacket!!:doorag: Any smart wife would agree she should help you save money :thumbup:.

BBTW - Since hardly anyone has seen a Spyder in our area I figure there are no preconceived notions about "correct" riding gear and just mix it all up, too, according to moods. Since I try to get out every chance I can, I get bored with the same jackets, pants, leathers, helmets, etc. Mix it all up and I can get hundreds of new and different looks which satisfies my Gemini nature.

LDFIREWORKS
03-02-2009, 11:57 PM
what ever the weather calls for is right:dontknow:

ataDude
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Man, you must go through hell at airport security....not even trying to be funny....OUCH.....if you don't mind my asking, how did this happen?!?

1987... a lady pulled from a cross street into my path on Belt Line Road in Addison, Texas. 62 days in the hospital, three surgeries to save the leg.

The two 165mm bolts in my pelvis were from my own stupidity in 2002 while on the Valkyrie in McKinney, Texas.

40+ years of riding... "only" these two were serious. :yikes:

COOLMACHINE
03-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I sold my bike last August. Since I already had all the leather gear, chaps etc. that's what I wear on my Spyder. And I look dynamite!!! :2thumbs:
I am going to buy a mesh jacket this year for the hot summer though.

bone crusher
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I would like to get a 'working' number of people interested in an impactjacket together and go to Silver Spring and talk with the owner. I would also see the facility and poke around and learn more about the safety specifics. I'd be able to do this in May/June.

I figure if we could manage 10 or more riders, it'd be worth it. I think it'd be great to have enough buying power to change the lettering on the jacket to something Spyder related.

Think this can be done? I know we could get a 10% discount if we do it this way...

Thx...it (the impactjacket) may be less than comfortable....but I'm looking for comforting, as in peace of mind, when I get to ryde......

Thanks for the HitAir link, and yeah, count me in for the group buy....I'll be looking for that thread when you're ready to put it together...

Arachnaphile
03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I haven't counted but i think at least 3 in this thread plus me....but yeah...maybe start another thread whenever you're ready to go down there? As for the lettering....I'm not even that picky...heck, start a "naming thread" to come up with something Spyder related....might get some interesting ideas that way....

RoHo
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
:chat: I'd be interested in one of the jackets!! :clap:

Roho

aubierules
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM

true:yikes: