PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into 1st gear failure

rothenbj
04-21-2016, 05:01 AM
I'm a newbie so its probably operator failure but.....

I've had my 2015 RT Limited for two days. It had 2,400 miles on it, now gas close to 3,200. On three or four stops, I went to put it into 1st gear after starting it and nothing. I found that if I put it in reverse and back up a bit, it will then let me find 1st gear, but only then.

I asked the previous owner and he said it sounds like I didn't have it in neutral when I turned it off but I think I've used the same procedure every time, although as a newbie, who knows.

Anyone able to confirm that it's probably operator error or should I find a dealer? I'm still over 1k from home.

spyderCodes
04-21-2016, 05:22 AM
Shifting problems are usually caused by slightly low oil levels.
Check your oil level (when warm).

fenelonspyder
04-21-2016, 06:06 AM
I am a newbie also and I had the same problem. I finally remembered my dealer telling me that you must have you foot on the brake to shift from neutral to first if you start the bike in neutral. I have not had a problem since.

Bfromla
04-21-2016, 06:08 AM
MT or SE?:dontknow::lecturef_smilie: If SE mine has acted funny if I was not complete stop (steep hill)& foot on brake, but yes check oil level too:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-21-2016, 07:19 AM
MT or SE?:dontknow::lecturef_smilie: If SE mine has acted funny if I was not complete stop (steep hill)& foot on brake, but yes check oil level too:thumbup:
He said ....2015 RT....Limited...I thought the " Limited " only came with an SE trans..........but yes check oil and foot on brake...........the rest of what He said was CONFUSING.........Mike :bbq:

justcalldon
04-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Yes make sure you have your foot on the brake when you shift. I have a 14 RT Limited and I had the same problem when I first started. Welcome to the Spyder World, it sounds like you are doing a lot of ridding so keep it up.
Don

Don

garb55
04-21-2016, 11:45 AM
He said ....2015 RT....Limited...I thought the " Limited " only came with an SE trans..........but yes check oil and foot on brake...........the rest of what He said was CONFUSING.........Mike :bbq:

Thank you
I thought it was just me that was confused
But then it is pretty darn easy to confuse me :roflblack::roflblack:

ARtraveler
04-21-2016, 03:09 PM
As others have posted. Foot on the brake when going from N to 1 or R (also remember the R button here).

rwc
04-21-2016, 03:10 PM
When you back up you probably use brake to stop and shift into 1st. If you put your foot on brake when you start it up it will go into 1st gear with no problem except hard clunk when not warm

Elembytes
04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Have your dealer run your VIN # and see if your unit is involved in the service bulletin about your shift position sensor. I was told some have gotten moisture inside of them and others not. ;)

rothenbj
04-21-2016, 08:42 PM
I found a dealer within eight miles of my hotel, stopped in and they graciously did the 3K maintenance on the spot. I was just hoping to get the oil changed and take care of the rest when I got home.

I don't know if the oil was low or, as I said, operator error, but no problems the rest of the day. I'll have plenty of time to find outover the next several days. Thanks everyone.

3 Wheel Rider
04-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Now that everything seems to be okay with your Spyder.... :welcome: and :congrats:

Bfromla
04-22-2016, 12:12 AM
I found a dealer within eight miles of my hotel, stopped in and they graciously did the 3K maintenance on the spot. I was just hoping to get the oil changed and take care of the rest when I got home.

I don't know if the oil was low or, as I said, operator error, but no problems the rest of the day. I'll have plenty of time to find outover the next several days. Thanks everyone.

Congrats & good to hear & very could be a combination of it all. Will get better as you learn your bike. Now are you going to join us at spyderfest?!

I wasn't there but I still care!
POW MIA VETS