PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell on hard acceleration

DGUZZI
04-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Hi all, We purchased my wife a '15 F3 last fall and she has consistently voiced a concern about a bad exhaust like smell when she accelerates hard. I recently installed a CAT bypass partly hoping it would alleviate the smell, but she says it is as strong as ever, and I cant smell. Have any of you had a problem like this? If so whats the fix? Thanks Dave

Bfromla
04-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Any hints to the odor?:lecturef_smilie: Gas like, burnt hair, exhaust like, :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: Lot of ways it can go:p Only 1 person smelling it :hun: Leaves more room to debate.
What style helmet, has it been cleaned?:2thumbs: Is curious :popcorn: As the only other comment of smells was recently by someone towing a trailer & would get strong exhaust fumes :lecturef_smilie: Do let us know:thumbup:

PMK
04-20-2016, 05:39 AM
Two things, check the drive belt and ensure it is properly aligned. Second, if the drive belt is good for alignment, go run the machine hard for a good long run. Possibly the exhaust packing is the culprit and needs some serious heat put into it.

Adding the bypass pipe does add more heat into the packing, so that could explain the new increase in odor.

Bob Denman
04-20-2016, 07:05 AM
How many miles are on the bike now?
When they're new; there's always some "funkiness", as they burn off the coatings that are no longer needed...

DGUZZI
04-20-2016, 07:35 AM
She describes the smell as "exhaust". I dont smell it because my nose doesnt work so well. And I dont ride it very much(I ride a Guzzi). She has a full face NEXX carbon fiber helmet...yes its clean. The machine has about 2500 miles on it, and would think that any "coatings" would be gone by now. I am wondering if there is a vent tube that could be detached from the top of the engine.

Machinegunner
04-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Does she have a windshield, and if so what brand? I had problems with exhaust smell after I installed my saddlebags. I had to modify the shield to stop the vacuum created because it worked too well.

Chupaca
04-20-2016, 10:32 AM
First time on a motorcycle...?? could the gas cap seal be off and allowing fumes to wafft up to the nose..?? if it is the burnt exhaust smell I would think it is in the windshield causing a vaccum or if bags are installed . We has some members add a turn down to blow the exhaust to the ground and it helped....:thumbup:

SpyD59
04-21-2016, 08:27 PM
I noticed an odd smell on our F3 at a similar mileage last year. Seemed like the smell of leaves burning to my wife and me. I attributed it to some old gas as I noticed it the next time out after filling up at a smaller gas station. I'm not sure how often the premium grade gas turns over at all of the gas stations. Have not noticed the same smell in about 3000 miles since then. For info, I am running the stock exhaust system.

Hope your smell goes away also!

DGUZZI
04-23-2016, 09:02 PM
I installed an F4 windshield shortly after purchase, that could be it. The F4 fits very close and I can see how it could create a vacuum, also the F3 muffler is much shorter than the other year models.This would explain why she only smells it intermittently on hard acceleration. This is her 3rd Spyder. She only uses a tail bag.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128590&stc=1

DGUZZI
04-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Does she have a windshield, and if so what brand? I had problems with exhaust smell after I installed my saddlebags. I had to modify the shield to stop the vacuum created because it worked too well.
What did you do to modify your windshield?

pauly1
04-23-2016, 09:27 PM
I smell something when i accelerate hard. Rubber. Yep, that's it. Rubber is not to supposed to smell good.

spyderyderjim
04-23-2016, 10:35 PM
I installed an F4 windshield shortly after purchase, that could be it. The F4 fits very close and I can see how it could create a vacuum, also the F3 muffler is much shorter than the other year models.This would explain why she only smells it intermittently on hard acceleration. This is her 3rd Spyder. She only uses a tail bag.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128590&stc=1

Yes it is the F4 windshield that does NOT have a vent hole that is causing the vacuum behind shield to pull exhaust fumes up to driver!!!
F4 owner Don needs a vent on all his F3 shields to break that vacuum that is drawing exhaust fumes up front to driver of F3!!
Another F3 Spyder owner with F4 shield has same exhaust smell.
He said his USA small flag on rear of F3S flows forward when he rides (proving F4 shield is pulling a vacuum with NO vent in shield).
CalSci has a triangle vent hole in all his F3 shields for that reason, to break the vacuum behind shield!!
Hope this info helps F3 owners with a F4 shield.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim