PDA

View Full Version : Real Spyderfest Travel Tip

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Many of us travel with our laptops.
If you are like me you have your browser store your passwords just as matter of convenience.

Travelling with your laptop posses a significant risk even if your laptop isn't stolen but left unattended.

Better to wipe your passwords and all other personal info before departing.

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 07:47 AM
:agree: Back them up on some sort of storage device, and leave that home: safe and sound! :thumbup:
Carry only the ones that you absolutely need to have... in your head! nojoke

jcthorne
04-18-2016, 09:42 AM
These are good points. Be aware that if you use Chrome, the passwords are not stored on the local machine but in your Google account online so they stay synced between your various devices.

You need to have secure passwords for entry into your laptop and should activate two factor authentication on your Google account if you use one. Your laptop's hard drive should also be encrypted.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-18-2016, 09:47 AM
This may sound totally STUPID :gaah:, but what if you wrapped it in some Heavy duty Alumin. foil........would this prevent signal access ????????........... Mike :bbq:

Cruzr Joe
04-18-2016, 09:48 AM
FYI, the Best Western Coach House has two computers for the public in their lobby, although some hate to use a public computer, they are available if you need one.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 09:49 AM
:D Now look what you made me pull out of storage!! :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128319&stc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-18-2016, 09:58 AM
I use the encrypted database program SplashIDSafe on my phone to store all my passwords and usernames with a nearly 20 digit password to access it. I've got over 600 entries. The desktop version is on my PC at home but not on my laptop or tablet. I store non-critical usernames and passwords, like for SL forum, in my browser. I about crapped one day after changing the PW for SplashID and I was reversing some digits. One more attempt and it would have wiped out the database, and I was 120 miles from home! :gaah:I finally realized what I was doing wrong. Believe me, something like sure helps to imprint the PW more firmly in your head!

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-18-2016, 10:01 AM
This may sound totally STUPID :gaah:, but what if you wrapped it in some Heavy duty Alumin. foil........would this prevent signal access ????????........... Mike :bbq:
As I have just recently learned from my CB hassles, aluminum is not very good at trapping radio frequencies.

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Signal stealing wasn't my point, but wrapping it aluminum foil probably wouldn't help much with that either.
My Mac Air has a titanium case and it is great at finding WiFi
Hotel cleaning staff has access to your room and most folks probably leave their computer there while they go and Spyderfest.

On a bad day I could circumvent a Windows password in about 10 minutes and a Mac password in about a half hour (No the FBI didn't hire me for the iPhone case) and I'm old and slow.

And I am not trying to imply, state or otherwise suggest that anyone working for any hotel chain anywhere IS THE LEAST BIT DISHONEST.

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 10:18 AM
These are good points. Be aware that if you use Chrome, the passwords are not stored on the local machine but in your Google account online so they stay synced between your various devices.

You need to have secure passwords for entry into your laptop and should activate two factor authentication on your Google account if you use one. Your laptop's hard drive should also be encrypted.

Chrome>Settings>Advanced Synch Settings+ Uncheck as many things as you feel necessary.

Chupaca
04-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tips and information. Cyber therft is a big thing :bowdown::bowdown:

Grandpot
04-18-2016, 11:08 AM
I have all my passwords on an encrypted flash drive that I wear around my neck.

Cruzr Joe
04-18-2016, 11:11 AM
Cyber Theft ??? I don't have a cyber so someone probably already stole it :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Anonymous

PrairieSpyder
04-18-2016, 11:15 AM
FYI, the Best Western Coach House has two computers for the public in their lobby, although some hate to use a public computer, they are available if you need one.

Cruzr Joe

When I was there last month to drop off my RT, the internet at BWCH was really frustrating. About every other click resulted in another window opening for an ad. I don't remember that from last year.

DrewNJ
04-18-2016, 11:16 AM
You all still travel with laptops? Why?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Because I can't stand virtual keyboards.

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Cyber Theft ??? I don't have a cyber so someone probably already stole it :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Anonymous

We'll get the authorities right on it! :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128324&stc=1

But I carry a laptop because I'm too cheap to buy anything new!

DrewNJ
04-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Because I can't stand virtual keyboards.
They make some pretty sweet Bluetooth travel keyboards. Connect easy to any Android/Apple device.

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 11:46 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128325&stc=1

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 11:53 AM
They make some pretty sweet Bluetooth travel keyboards. Connect easy to any Android/Apple device.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk\

Thanks for the info but golly why would anyone want Blue Teeth?

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 12:14 PM
:agree:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128326&stc=1

jcthorne
04-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Because as apple and Samsung have found out, tablets are far too constrained and as such sales are dying. There is no need for 3 data appliances per person. Phone, tablet and PC. Laptops have gotten so powerful that they have all but replaced desktops. Smart phones have gained capabilities as well. Tablets cannot do the work of a PC and are getting squeezed out.

pegasus1300
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Where's lightening rod and ground wire?

:D Now look what you made me pull out of storage!! :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128319&stc=1

jcthorne
04-18-2016, 01:44 PM
On a bad day I could circumvent a Windows password in about 10 minutes and a Mac password in about a half hour (No the FBI didn't hire me for the iPhone case) and I'm old and slow..

And any car can be stolen, and most padlocks take about 30 seconds to pick.

None of this will keep the skillful and determined crook at bay, but as with most locks, its enough to keep honest people honest and I cannot be accused by the insurance company of leaving the keys in the car. Use reasonable protections, and the rest is State Farm's problem. That's what I pay them for.

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 01:46 PM
:agree: Your security precautions don't need to be impervious: they just need to make you more trouble than the NEXT guy! nojoke

DriftersWay
04-18-2016, 02:29 PM
:agree: Back them up on some sort of storage device, and leave that home: safe and sound! :thumbup:
Carry only the ones that you absolutely need to have... in your head! nojoke

If I carry in my head,, they are lost. :banghead:

Bfromla
04-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Many of us travel with our laptops.
If you are like me you have your browser store your passwords just as matter of convenience.

Travelling with your laptop posses a significant risk even if your laptop isn't stolen but left unattended.

Better to wipe your passwords and all other personal info before departing.

:thumbup: Thanks & hope will help some. But (hard to say this nicely:sour:) UNPLUG people! It's SPYDERFEST:yes::yes: Your friends should all be here ( if they cant be, you are rubbing it in unfriendly like:barf:). Come to enjoy meeting new people :chat: good food:bbq:& farkle :pray::helpsmilie:, not to get online.
PLEASE &THANK YOU:firstplace:

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 02:37 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128334&stc=1

DrewNJ
04-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Because as apple and Samsung have found out, tablets are far too constrained and as such sales are dying. There is no need for 3 data appliances per person. Phone, tablet and PC. Laptops have gotten so powerful that they have all but replaced desktops. Smart phones have gained capabilities as well. Tablets cannot do the work of a PC and are getting squeezed out.
That's really not the point, you all are talking about traveling, and security, not sales and market place. Curious as to what your doing on a trip that would necessitate a laptop that you couldn't do with a smartphone?

Personally, I haven't owned a desktop in 10+ years and my laptop I use for work, but use it more in tablet configuration and leave the keyboard at home. There is more than just Apple and Android, but I haven't found anything travel related yet I can't do on my phone. Just seems silly to lug around a laptop on vacation.[emoji6]

DrewNJ
04-18-2016, 02:57 PM

PrairieSpyder
04-18-2016, 03:19 PM

:agree: That's why I gave up using an iPad. My Mac Book does so much more, and my iPhone is an alternative to the tablet.

PrairieSpyder
04-18-2016, 03:20 PM
If I carry in my head,, they are lost. :banghead:

I like to make mental notes, but never have anything to write on! :dontknow:

spyderCodes
04-18-2016, 03:51 PM

I guess if your point is you may as well leave your financial records and passwords on the laptop left unattended in your hotel room because it's password protected and you have insurance for such things then I can't say you are wrong, it's just that I would rather not go through the inconvenience.

Bob Denman
04-18-2016, 05:02 PM
:agree: No matter HOW good your insurance is; it's always better, to NOT have to call in a claim! nojoke

Gray Ghost
04-18-2016, 10:03 PM

I don't have a tablet, but my wife does so I am aware of what they are able to do. The programs that I tend to use when we are on the road are a real PITA to use on a tablet. So I carry a laptop. I have also pulled inactive codes on my Spyder while in a Walmart parking lot in the desert to figure out why the check engine light was on, couldn't have done that with my phone or a tablet.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-18-2016, 10:47 PM

A laptop is just plain easier to key into, and easier to see. Think about it, 15" screen vs 5" screen, that's NINE times the area! And those rinky dink fictitious keyboards compared to an almost real keyboard! There ain't no comparison! I use Graffiti handwriting recognition for input [holdover from good ol' Palm PDA days!] but even that doesn't hold a candle to an old fashioned IBM keyboard. Newer ain't always better! :lecturef_smilie:

I will admit my tablet has one advantage over the laptop, and that's browsing Spyderlovers with the use of Tapatalk. That is easier than using a browser. And GPS apps work better with a tablet on the Spyder than would a laptop! :ohyea:

DrewNJ
04-19-2016, 05:38 AM
A laptop is just plain easier to key into, and easier to see. Think about it, 15" screen vs 5" screen, that's NINE times the area! And those rinky dink fictitious keyboards compared to an almost real keyboard! There ain't no comparison! I use Graffiti handwriting recognition for input [holdover from good ol' Palm PDA days!] but even that doesn't hold a candle to an old fashioned IBM keyboard. Newer ain't always better! :lecturef_smilie:

I will admit my tablet has one advantage over the laptop, and that's browsing Spyderlovers with the use of Tapatalk. That is easier than using a browser. And GPS apps work better with a tablet on the Spyder than would a laptop! :ohyea:
So, while on vacation your busy writing a novel? [emoji23] [emoji23]
No wonder some of you need trailers....[emoji85] [emoji12]

pitzerwm
04-19-2016, 12:51 PM
I use Lastpass to keep my passwords safe and that way you type nothing on your keyboard.

Be aware that ALL public wifi are like a party line on your phone. With common apps anyone can read everything that you type. So, my recommendation is that you avoid going to your banks or credit card sites on any public wifi. If you actually type your password, accept the fact that someone on that same wifi could be reading it.

Bob Denman
04-19-2016, 12:53 PM
No wonder some of you need trailers....[emoji85] [emoji12]
So; are you coming to SpyderFest armed with just a toothbrush, and a Platinum card? :thumbup:
You're MORE than welcome to ride with us! :clap:

jcthorne
04-19-2016, 01:28 PM
I use Lastpass to keep my passwords safe and that way you type nothing on your keyboard.Be aware that ALL public wifi are like a party line on your phone. With common apps anyone can read everything that you type. So, my recommendation is that you avoid going to your banks or credit card sites on any public wifi. If you actually type your password, accept the fact that someone on that same wifi could be reading it.

You use a public wifi without a vpn? eeeewuuuuu...