PDA

View Full Version : So anyone else don't like their mirrors?

Smylinacha
02-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't like them - they look like antennae on a bug. I'd like to get rid of them - will make the front look cleaner. Maybe make the lights on the front fenders act as turn signals and cover the holes where the mirrors were w/ something else - another flush light or something. Any ideas?:dontknow::popcorn:

bone crusher
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Got the kewlmetal extensions...now they are at least functional...

AMTJIM
02-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I'm about to kick mine to the curb, too. I think I would rather have some bar end mirrors. When I look at the mirrors, I think clunk or bonk. When I am going down the road, I find myself looking over my sholder all the time. After I get over the vanity of staring at my hands, according to the mirrors, there is a severe earth quake occurring right behind me.

Greg H.
02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
'Love my mirrors! :thumbup: Thanks for asking, though! :)

tatt2r
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
cut them off install video cam on back of spyder ...i think magicman did that ...and install directionals on your helmet :D:coffee:

AMTJIM
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
cut them off install video cam on back of spyder ...i think magicman did that ...and install directionals on your helmet :D:coffee:
Yes, the rear view license plate camera. Not sure about the turn signals on the helmet though.

BeRight
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Like you, I would like to do the same with the Spyder but it has dang integrated turn signals in the mirrors - - so I am at a loss. Higher up turn signals is a safety benefit

I removed mirrors from my motorcycle, and use bar end mirrors. It provided me three benefits-better looks, better rear visibility and reduced wind buffeting.

I look forward to someone coming up with a solution and sharing same.

NancysToy
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Like you, I would like to do the same with the Spyder but it has dang integrated turn signals in the mirrors - - so I am at a loss. Higher up turn signals is a safety benefit

I removed mirrors from my motorcycle, and use bar end mirrors. It provided me three benefits-better looks, better rear visibility and reduced wind buffeting.

I think there are a couple of readily usable solutions to turn signal relocation. Problem remains the mirrors. On a bike, the handlebars seldom move far, so bar-end mirrors are quite usable almost all the time. On the Spyder, with it's wide turning bars, you would be blind except when going straight.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

steven888
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree to remove the mirror's. They are goofy lookin from the front view. I have my thinking capa on. If I have some good ideas I will let you know.

:chat:

vt228
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
:2thumbs: go to wal - mart 88.00 well go on licensplate the screen goes on windscreen when you start the bike the screen comes on you can see behind you and you can keep mirrors or knot. I got 2 . 1 for my truck when I back up kids you no and helps get trailer hitched up going to pt mine on my spyder 2 wires one to power one to ground wire on runing lights on bike plate light no drilling kneeded easy and cheep you can agust it easy to mount ...:2thumbs::spyder2:

max continuous
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Call me Koo Koo but I kinda thought the insectoid look was kinda the point?
Max

steven888
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, You are right but they are funny lookin. The spyder has such a muscle look to it. With the mirror's sticking way out from the rest of the bike they look like an after thought.

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'm about to kick mine to the curb, too. I think I would rather have some bar end mirrors. When I look at the mirrors, I think clunk or bonk. When I am going down the road, I find myself looking over my sholder all the time. After I get over the vanity of staring at my hands, according to the mirrors, there is a severe earth quake occurring right behind me.

Clunk or bonk - PERSACTLY!!!:2thumbs: Me, HDX & Roaddog were at the BMW/Ducati store today - Roaddog got the Gerbings :thumbup:. I saw bar mirrors on a bike there - looked MUCH CLEANER. HDX is doing some research for me now - we're coming up w/ some ideas. I'd like to have something "flush" where the antennae were. I don't use my mirrors much either - I look behind me all the time. But Roaddog & HDX tell me there is a law where I have to have at least one mirror (all I need) and I have to have "visible" turn signals.

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:34 PM
cut them off install video cam on back of spyder ...i think magicman did that ...and install directionals on your helmet :D:coffee: Nope, no directionals on my helmet - I want a clean look but now that I think of it - a helmet cam would be fun!:clap:

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:36 PM

What if you made the lights on the front fenders be turn signals?

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I agree to remove the mirror's. They are goofy lookin from the front view. I have my thinking capa on. If I have some good ideas I will let you know.

:chat:

Thx - yep we're researching it too.

bone crusher
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
:agree: I think they're fine...and practical enough to leave on...isn't there

a law somewhere about not having mirrors? I know you can't take them off of a car...

Max

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Max

I know Max but I can't seem to get away from the naked bike look - I hate doo dads on stuff. It clutters up the front - but that's just my opinion.

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes, You are right but they are funny lookin. The spyder has such a muscle look to it. With the mirror's sticking way out from the rest of the bike they look like an after thought.

Exactly! Now I was at the HD store today with HDX & Roaddog. We were also at the BMW & Ducati store and I saw those handle bar mirrors - very cool. Really improved the front of the bikes. And yes, I agree, Spyder has a "muscle" look to it and those antennae detract from it all. I sat on one of those Tri Glides at the Harley store - real sweet looking bike but it was so strange to me having 2 wheels in the back - guess I got used to my Spyder pretty quick! I want to keep it and make it meaner looking.

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I think there are a couple of readily usable solutions to turn signal relocation. Problem remains the mirrors. On a bike, the handlebars seldom move far, so bar-end mirrors are quite usable almost all the time. On the Spyder, with it's wide turning bars, you would be blind except when going straight.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

I like your little cold bundled up dude for your siggy! We are in for a lot of snow tomorrow night. Too bad you can't take the tires off the Spyder and put skis on it for the winter!

I rarely use my mirrors - I always look all over the place - turning my head and stuff and the mirrors stock really don't let me see a whole lot anyway.

max continuous
02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I just went out and looked at mine....DARN if they don't look a bit goofy.
I can't tell for sure since mine won't go into position.
4km. on the bike and the mirrors flop around like wet noodles! They just refuse to seat and tighten!
Max

Roaddog2
02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I like your little cold bundled up dude for your siggy! We are in for a lot of snow tomorrow night. Too bad you can't take the tires off the Spyder and put skis on it for the winter!

I rarely use my mirrors - I always look all over the place - turning my head and stuff and the mirrors stock really don't let me see a whole lot anyway.How is your snow women doing did she pass on yet :coffee:

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I just went out and looked at mine....DARN if they don't look a bit goofy.
I can't tell for sure since mine won't go into position.
4km. on the bike and the mirrors flop around like wet noodles! They just refuse to seat and tighten!
Max

Still looking but I got some ideas.

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 06:19 PM
How is your snow women doing did she pass on yet :coffee:

No! She'll be getting a boob job w/ all the snow we're gonna get on Sunday night! She'll be way over double Ds!

Roaddog2
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
:agree::agree:
No! She'll be getting a boob job w/ all the snow we're gonna get on Sunday night! She'll be way over double Ds!

max continuous
02-28-2009, 06:29 PM

Bow wow Chicka chika Bow bow!:yes:

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Tongue/making-fun-054.GIF

AMTJIM
02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't care what the initial topic is...threads always end up talknig about boobs at some point.

ataDude
02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Still running OK?

I don't care what the initial topic is...threads always end up talknig about boobs at some point.

AMTJIM
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Still running OK?
What...boobs or spyder?

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Cuz boobs are cool!:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
:agree::agree:

Clear now but hopefully by Monday we won't have to go to work!:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Sara
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
installed the 4" risers, now a reflection of my hands are in the middle of the mirrors, blocking a good part of the rear vision----so I did install bar-end mirrors, and like them a lot, but what to do now?? I have two sets of mirrors-------somwehre down the line there will be an answer-----Will the Kewl extenders help enough??

steven888
03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
If we could come up with some small lights to put in place of the mirror's. Then we could remove the mirror's and put handle bar mounted one's. This would be much better.

Recluze
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
installed the 4" risers, now a reflection of my hands are in the middle of the mirrors, blocking a good part of the rear vision----so I did install bar-end mirrors, and like them a lot, but what to do now?? I have two sets of mirrors-------somwehre down the line there will be an answer-----Will the Kewl extenders help enough??
I have the extensions and they make a fairly useless mirror very useful. I highly recommend them but I like that idea of the license plate mounted camera also. Has anyone actually done that? Pictures to share?

Roaddog2
03-01-2009, 11:59 AM
If we could come up with some small lights to put in place of the mirror's. Then we could remove the mirror's and put handle bar mounted one's. This would be much better.Thats what were talkin about clean I don't care for the not so smooth transition on those kewmetal extensions :ani29: seen a few not for me :coffee:

steven888
03-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I also agree. The extention's dont make it look any better, In fact they look worse. Clean, Clean, Clean, That's what were looking for.

Smylinacha
03-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Hi Sara, what bar end mirrors do you have?

Roaddog2
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi Sara, what bar end mirrors do you have?
They must be black Smylinacha after all that chrome won't get you home :ani29:

steven888
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Removed the console and mirror's today. Will paint the console along wth other part's. Will not be putting the mirror's back on. I am search high and low for light's to repace the blinker's in front. Also need mirror idea.

Way2Fast
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
To be road legal, a motorcycle, Spyder included, must have at least ONE side view mirror. As far as I know this rule applies in every state. Not sure if any of the laws were amended to allow rear view cameras as a substitute for the mirror ??

AMTJIM
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
You could try some pig spotters just to fill the mirror quota, some have built in LEDs for turn signals. The rear view is bad with them.
http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=121462
http://www.indysuperbike.com/image.php?productid=121462

bone crusher
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM
To be road legal, a motorcycle, Spyder included, must have at least ONE side view mirror. As far as I know this rule applies in every state. Not sure if any of the laws were amended to allow rear view cameras as a substitute for the mirror ??

That's what I thought...and as far as cameras go, probably not a valid replacement...mirrors don't stop functioning, cameras do...

Roaddog2
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
That's what I thought...and as far as cameras go, probably not a valid replacement...mirrors don't stop functioning, cameras do...
:agree::ani29:

John in PA
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Thought you'd like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/snowcones.jpg?t=1236051694