PDA

View Full Version : Travel time for Spyderfest?

Scotts8826
04-16-2016, 06:33 AM
Spyderfest is drawing people from all over the US and beyond. To those that are riding your Spyder to Springfield, how many miles are you traveling and how many days are you going to take to cover those miles?

AY4B
04-16-2016, 06:46 AM
I am coming from Greenville Tx, 390 miles and about 6 hours away plus rest stops. Im coming with my Spyder meetup group. We have maybe 17-20 in our convoy. Cant wait!:ohyea:

Brentc
04-16-2016, 06:46 AM
There are 8 of us meeting up from the East Coast making the journey in three days.

Cant wait!

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 06:50 AM
I'm part of the group travelling with Brent... :thumbup:
We've got the 1300 mile trip spaced out over three days, and are travelling along the "Southern Route"
(We've got guys along who haven't piled serious mileage up. It made sense to break it down a bit...)
Some of us will be returning home along the "Northern Route" (I-44 to I-70)
That'll be a 1200 mile, two-day pull! :2thumbs:

Buckeye Bleau
04-16-2016, 06:53 AM
I have been planning on attending for some time, pinched nerve in neck may prevent it.

it is 749 miles from NE Ohio, ohiospyderryders.org has a group ryding out.

Trbayth
04-16-2016, 08:06 AM
We've got the 1300 mile trip spaced out over three days, and are travelling along the "Southern Route"
(We've got guys along who haven't piled serious mileage up. It made sense to break it down a bit...)

Me too. Doing the final check outs on the bike today and tomorrow.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-16-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm planning on 5 days for 1600 miles. Last year coming home with stops @ museums, Grand Canyon, etc., I averaged about 230/day.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

rogerb
04-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Two of us from Maine 1490 miles three days at a smooth pace and decent weather.:pray:

Cruzr Joe
04-16-2016, 08:21 AM
250 miles for us and we will do it before lunch.

Cruzr Joe

Tango
04-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Doing about 1200-1300 miles over three days. Driving truck and trailer over a Northern route to Ohio, then south to Springfield. Could do it in 2 days, but why? Taking our time with plenty of rest stops. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

PrairieSpyder
04-16-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm just 300 miles from Springfield, so I'll get there in a day by car. Then a day to get home by Spyder. :ohyea::ohyea:

I tried a new route last week but there was lots of road work and low speed limits. Pretty countryside, though.

JIM W
04-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Leaving from Central Wisconsin 650 miles one day :yes:

murphybrown
04-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Spyderfest is drawing people from all over the US and beyond. To those that are riding your Spyder to Springfield, how many miles are you traveling and how many days are you going to take to cover those miles?
Never know exact miles because sometime the "powers that be" call me to take "that road...to see where it might go!!"....This time (6th Spyderfest) will be a leisurely ryde with planned tourist stopping along way...but I have "done the road to Spyderfest" in 3 days...hmmmm thinking the last time I did the "get there now" trip was 2014 when I was soooo excited to get the new RTS...luv that machine...but I'm hearing the call of an F3t!!! We will see ... We sill see.
Of course I'm just this great grannie "dreading" that time to depart [51 hours 25 minutes 43 seconds]....NOT...:yikes::yes:
This year FredWA is joining me for his first (guarantee it won't be his last Spyderfest)

fencepost
04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
675 miles, 2 days, 2F3's, 3 dogs. The plan is all back roads, will be trying the Curvey road routing on my new Garmin 590, should be quite interesting.

M109Dreamer
04-16-2016, 10:20 AM
I am coming from Greenville Tx, 390 miles and about 6 hours away plus rest stops. Im coming with my Spyder meetup group. We have maybe 17-20 in our convoy. Cant wait!:ohyea:
I am hoping to do Spyderfest next year with y'all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

armyspydervet
04-16-2016, 11:33 AM
I am in the East Coast Posse group. I'm taking my Spyder from Northern VA to Gettysburg this weekend to get some saddle time before next Sunday.

Scotts8826
04-16-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm coming in from the Kanas City area so the drive will be under 200 miles. I'm looking at it as a test run. I know I can go further in a day but I'm not sure about 4-5 days in a row for an epic trip.

STELLING MAN
04-16-2016, 11:45 AM
My buddy and I will be coming from the Buckeye state, 640 Mi. we will take two days to go out and 1 day to come home same as last year..

Jheck
04-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Ok, this sounds interesting. Are you guys actually riding your spiders these distances or trucking them as the Harley riders do? I'm not trying to be a smart a-s. I have a 2014 RT but only have 3000 miles on it as I am very leerily about going any distance form home because of all the problems I am reading about. I come from Goldwings and Burgmans and have been cross country 3 times in my life, so long distance is not new to me. I would love to develop the confidence to do that on my Spyder , but the fear of being left side the road at my age because of some stupid DESS or Limp mode has me spooked.

SpyderAnn01
04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
1,450 miles we leave on Sunday and will be in Springfield early Tuesday afternoon.

SpyderAnn01
04-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Ok, this sounds interesting. Are you guys actually riding your spiders these distances or trucking them as the Harley riders do? I'm not trying to be a smart a-s. I have a 2014 RT but only have 3000 miles on it as I am very leerily about going any distance form home because of all the problems I am reading about. I come from Goldwings and Burgmans and have been cross country 3 times in my life, so long distance is not new to me. I would love to develop the confidence to do that on my Spyder , but the fear of being left side the road at my age because of some stupid DSS or Limp mode has me spooked.

I have a 2014 RT that is 26 months old and I have put 72,000 miles on it, it has been the most awesome machine. Last summer we had 10 Spyders ride to Alaska with no one being stranded. I have crossed the country more times on it than I can count.

PrairieSpyder
04-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Ok, this sounds interesting. Are you guys actually riding your spiders these distances or trucking them as the Harley riders do? I'm not trying to be a smart a-s. I have a 2014 RT but only have 3000 miles on it as I am very leerily about going any distance form home because of all the problems I am reading about. I come from Goldwings and Burgmans and have been cross country 3 times in my life, so long distance is not new to me. I would love to develop the confidence to do that on my Spyder , but the fear of being left side the road at my age because of some stupid DSS or Limp mode has me spooked.

I have a 2014 RT that is 26 months old and I have put 72,000 miles on it, it has been the most awesome machine. Last summer we had 10 Spyders ride to Alaska with no one being stranded. I have crossed the country more times on it than I can count.

What Ann said. I was on that Alaska trip. Get out there and go whereever you want with it. If you're leery of going long distances, travel with a group, like many the folks going to Spyderfest.

But I'm wondering what "all the problems" you're reading about.

Dan McNally
04-16-2016, 12:43 PM

What route are you taking to get to Springfield from NY?

Yazz
04-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Know a few of the above posters, and yes they are riding their Spyders. If you're leery of making the trek and maybe being left of the side of the road, join up with a group riding from your area. It's a good way to make new friends.

There'll be people trailering too. Some are RVing, others can't make that long of a ride, but want to join in the fun.

It doesn't matter how you get to Spyderfest, it's that you get there. :clap:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-16-2016, 01:07 PM
My 1600 miles each way will be on my 2014 RTS that has only a little over 1300 miles on it yet. I bought it with 654 miles on it this past winter. Ryding the Spyder pulling my "tent on a trailer" is why I'm taking 5 days. I just can't do as many miles a day on the Spyder as I can in a car or pickup!

The problems you've been reading about with the 2014 and newer are the exception. Earlier years had more problems but BRP is making great progress on reliability. The Spyder may not yet rival the GW for reliability, but it's getting there!

Jump on it and enjoy. Don't let the fear of failure deprive you the joy of success! :yes:

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 02:59 PM
What route are you taking to get to Springfield from NY?
We're all leaving the Northeast on Sunday morning, and will converge on Fairmont, WV at the Hampton Inn.
Can you join us? :D
BrentC is our "Trail Boss". He can give you all of the itinerary and contact information. :thumbup:

AY4B
04-16-2016, 03:43 PM
I am hoping to do Spyderfest next year with y'all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I wish you all could come.
Anyone From the N Texas area wishing to come with us can RSVP on this meetup page. We still have 3 openings left.
http://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Ryders-of-East-Texas/events/227537530/

almosthere
04-16-2016, 03:57 PM
We are leaving Wed. Night 9pm Google says 690mi if we avoid highway and tolls. Just got the bike 2 1/2 weeks ago and still breaking it in 2015 rt-s. We have 450 miles on it now so don't want to burn it in at 75 / 80 mph for 11 hours. Long way gets us there in just over 13 hours. Plan to drive gas up to gas up non stop. Hope to pull in before lunch Thur.

AY4B
04-16-2016, 04:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJEeHND_lQ

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Ok, this sounds interesting. Are you guys actually riding your spiders these distances or trucking them as the Harley riders do? I'm not trying to be a smart a-s. I have a 2014 RT but only have 3000 miles on it as I am very leerily about going any distance form home because of all the problems I am reading about. I come from Goldwings and Burgmans and have been cross country 3 times in my life, so long distance is not new to me. I would love to develop the confidence to do that on my Spyder , but the fear of being left side the road at my age because of some stupid DESS or Limp mode has me spooked.

Ride the bike! :2thumbs:
Get in Touch with BrentC, and ride with our group... :2thumbs:
(Do you know a fella in your Town by the name of Bruce Erath?)

Brentc
04-16-2016, 05:04 PM
If your interested in being part of the group from the northeast, we are planning to have a blast and not leave anyone behind, unless they deserve it! :roflblack:

Seriously, if you'd like some riding partners, you found your group. Just pm me I'll shoot you our itinerary and if it works, welcome aboard! We have a big mix of first timers, and seasoned veterans so it will be a nice ride.

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Hi Brent!
Dan McNally is interested our route also... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Maybe next year from Alaska. Going to give it a couple weeks each way. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 05:21 PM
If you stop in Washington State; I'm pretty sure that Karyl will put on a pot of coffee for you! :thumbup:

Brentc
04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
We're all leaving the Northeast on Sunday morning, and will converge on Fairmont, WV at the Hampton Inn.
BrentC is our "Trail Boss". He can give you all of the itinerary and contact information. :thumbup:

Sent Dan a pm, and just to clarify by "Trail Boss" that just means I knew how to use Google maps......:yikes:

PrairieSpyder
04-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Maybe next year from Alaska. Going to give it a couple weeks each way. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

That would be great, Dwayne. I hope you'll do it. :ohyea:

murphybrown
04-16-2016, 06:04 PM

The 2000 miles to get to Spyderfest. I also ryde a 2014 RT...now have 38k .. absolutely no issues. What "issues" are you fearful of happening? Don't know of any vehicle, 2. 3 or 4 wheel that you can't find a problem with...not all but a few models of everything have had issues. Make sure you have a good roadside. TP and go for it!!!:thumbup:

Synthetic
04-16-2016, 07:19 PM
We are planning on driving straight through to Spyderfest. We are not stopping for fuel, food, restroom breaks or rest stops...straight through.
It's a pretty straight shot of about 5 miles....depending upon traffic...it could take as long as 10 minutes but as always...the journey is more important than the destination! See you all at SpyderFest!

armyspydervet
04-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Sent Dan a pm, and just to clarify by "Trail Boss" that just means I knew how to use Google maps......:yikes:

And you're paying for meals and gas :roflblack:

Brentc
04-16-2016, 08:01 PM
And you're paying for meals and gas :roflblack:

That would explain why the position was easily obtained........

guzzihack
04-16-2016, 08:10 PM
My wife Bonnie and I are looking at 350 miles from mid-west Illinois. This will be her first long ryde in nearly 10 years on our new RTS. We will probably do some 2 and 4 lane traveling. Enjoying the view and making decent time. We will probably leave sometime on Wednesday, haven't made a final decision yet. We are hoping for a new beginning to our touring together again. Looking forward to new friends and adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan McNally
04-16-2016, 08:16 PM

A year ago, today, I left my home, 90 miles north west of Washington DC, and rode to Tucson AZ and back - 5,391 miles. I rode a 2013 RT LTD before the recall work was done - and had no problems. Unless you have been having problems with your Spyder, go for it. There are over 100,000 Spyders on the road - and we all hear, 20 times, every time someone has a serious problem. We seldom hear when someone rydes and rydes with no problems - because . . . well, because they are out ryding!

Dan McNally
04-16-2016, 08:18 PM

I'll look at the route - perhaps I can meet some folks up in PA for part of the ryde. Fairmont is almost 200 miles west of here.

CarolinaSpyderRyder
04-16-2016, 09:20 PM
870 miles. Should be able to do it in one day. Yes I'm riding.

Mazo EMS2
04-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Heading down form Arena, WI. Says it's 540 miles one way. We're gonna do the trip in two days. Says it's an 8.5 hr drive, but I'd rather take it easy and enjoy the scenery on the two lanes...

johnwinslow
04-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Spyderfest is drawing people from all over the US and beyond. To those that are riding your Spyder to Springfield, how many miles are you traveling and how many days are you going to take to cover those miles?1477 miles 24hrs

johnwinslow
04-16-2016, 09:41 PM
We are planning on driving straight through to Spyderfest. We are not stopping for fuel, food, restroom breaks or rest stops...straight through.
It's a pretty straight shot of about 5 miles....depending upon traffic...it could take as long as 10 minutes but as always...the journey is more important than the destination! See you all at SpyderFest! 24hrs 1477 miles and I am driving a red rts

Cruzr Joe
04-16-2016, 10:00 PM
24hrs 1477 miles and I am driving a red rts

I wish you luck, but a 24 hr ride (without a rest somewhere in the middle) is really a dangerous ride. Good luck

Cruzr Joe

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-16-2016, 10:22 PM
870 miles. Should be able to do it in one day. Yes I'm riding.
You must be a glutton for punishment! For me 870 miles would be 17 hours by car! I have found that 50 mph average works good for estimating travel time, not including night stop time. That includes rest stops, lunch breaks, etc. Can't quite do that on the Spyder.

CarolinaSpyderRyder
05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
You must be a glutton for punishment! For me 870 miles would be 17 hours by car! I have found that 50 mph average works good for estimating travel time, not including night stop time. That includes rest stops, lunch breaks, etc. Can't quite do that on the Spyder.

It wasn't as bad as I thought... it was about 16 hours because I stopped at this great little place called the Rose Garden in Silver Point, TN for dinner. Little bit of rain north of Nashville too, other than that smooth riding.