PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spyder RT Limited on Sale - Thoughts ?

jimcrom
04-12-2016, 09:03 PM
I was out and about when I saw a 2012 RT Limited for sale in the window of a used car dealership. They want $17,995 and it has 1607 miles. So it drew my attention. Now the debate is whether or not to take the plunge.

I am looking for some group thought on whether or not it is a good deal or opinions and suggestions.

Some of my thoughts are:
It is four years old
Would you need to replace tires that are probably five years old?
What about the spark plug wires would they need to be replaced.
If there is any problems there is no warranty.
I am checking on Zurich for an extended warranty.
My worry is that with only 1700 miles it hasn't even been broken in. Will probably need an oil change.
I was thinking of offering $15,000, not sure that they would be interested and maybe their hope would be to find someone who doesn't know much about spyders.
What do you think?

Gray Ghost
04-12-2016, 09:23 PM
The kelly blue book is: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/can-am/spyder-rt-limited-se5/2012/?pricetype=retail but I think that price is a bit high. Cycletrader.com has one in Montclair, CA (http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/On-Track-Powersports-2995234/listing/2012-Can-Am-SPYDER-RT-S-SE5-117799430) with 9700 miles listed for 15,799.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2016, 09:40 PM
If you haven't checked out a Spyder with the 1330 engine ( and done some serious price searching ) you will regret this purchase.............Mike :bbq:

pitzerwm
04-12-2016, 10:44 PM
If you haven't checked out a Spyder with the 1330 engine ( and done some serious price searching ) you will regret this purchase.............Mike :bbq:

I would agree with Mike, and also, its a car dealership, he just wants to get back what he had to give them which was probably $12K if that. Thing is he probably don't have a clue anything about it. Tell him you want to talk with the old owner. They hate that but if he wants to unload it, he will come about.

gkamer
04-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Cycletrader.com has one in Montclair, CA (http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/On-Track-Powersports-2995234/listing/2012-Can-Am-SPYDER-RT-S-SE5-117799430) with 9700 miles listed for 15,799.

That is a beauty of a machine.

Chupaca
04-12-2016, 11:08 PM
A new one would be nice no doubt. 2012 was a good year and if your budget is limited and they negotiate this could be a good buy. This is the V-twin 998 a high revving engine and the triple is low rpm's 1330. If you can swing the dealerships price then you should shop around for there are some 1330's out there around that price....:dontknow:

old Timer
04-13-2016, 04:56 AM
Walk in there with a check for $15 K made out for the Spyder, tell them you will be back in an hour as you are going to get lunch. Tell them that when you get back you want either your check back or the title to your new to you Spyder.

If they give you any guff at the initial point reach over and pick up your check and start to walk out........

That's the way I buy all of my cars and bikes. No haggling, no BS and have saved a bundle.

jtoro1
04-13-2016, 07:02 AM
2012 RTL is a good year the price is high but check first if you can get an extended warranty these bikes are complicated and can be expensive to fix

Pirate looks at --
04-13-2016, 09:26 AM
If this is truly in a car dealership I am guessing that they are going to want to part with it as soon as possible so they should be willing to negotiate a price for you. I would want to see the records of service and have a Can-Am dealer run the VIN to see if all recalls etc had been performed. I like the lunch idea presented above.

bronzeflex42
04-13-2016, 09:39 AM
That is a beauty of a machine.
:agree::agree: x 2. those lava bronze's 2012s are sharp!! :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 04:25 PM
I like the lunch idea too, but I'd make the check for $14,000. But then you are in California so maybe real selling prices are higher there.

bmccaffrey
04-13-2016, 07:06 PM
i think price is high

My brother recently purchased a 15 rts 2000 miles at a car dealership for same price

13-14 in the ball park

jimcrom
04-13-2016, 07:42 PM
I have looked at the 1330 engine because of the lower maintenance issues and I am inclined to get one but I always try to keep my eyes open. I just turned 60,000 miles last week so I have kinda been in the market. Thanks for your opinion!

Glorie
04-13-2016, 07:55 PM
I was out and about when I saw a 2012 RT Limited for sale in the window of a used car dealership. They want $17,995 and it has 1607 miles. So it drew my attention. Now the debate is whether or not to take the plunge.

I am looking for some group thought on whether or not it is a good deal or opinions and suggestions.

Some of my thoughts are:
It is four years old
Would you need to replace tires that are probably five years old?
What about the spark plug wires would they need to be replaced.
If there is any problems there is no warranty.
I am checking on Zurich for an extended warranty.
My worry is that with only 1700 miles it hasn't even been broken in. Will probably need an oil change.
I was thinking of offering $15,000, not sure that they would be interested and maybe their hope would be to find someone who doesn't know much about spyders.
What do you think?

I bought a 2012 RTSE5 last summer with 500 miles for $15500. Luv it and have had no problems yet. 6000 miles on it now. Can get extended warranty. I probably should its risky. My uncle has 2012 rt and he has had nothing but problems. Spends more time at mechanics than riding. And they never fix problem. Lost reverse multiple times. Wouldn't shift. Muffler fell apart. starter went.vibrations. Wobbles. Etc etc. In shop again misfiring and can't fix . lucky they have warranty but still have to pay some charge for each time. And they aren't riding much. Cross my fingers.

jimcrom
04-13-2016, 08:30 PM
I like that idea. I don't like negotiating on cars or motorcycles always feel like I am going to be screwed. That is why I always go to no haggle dealerships.

Walk in there with a check for $15 K made out for the Spyder, tell them you will be back in an hour as you are going to get lunch. Tell them that when you get back you want either your check back or the title to your new to you Spyder.

If they give you any guff at the initial point reach over and pick up your check and start to walk out........

That's the way I buy all of my cars and bikes. No haggling, no BS and have saved a bundle.

jimcrom
04-13-2016, 08:40 PM
I am trying to find out if Zurich will do an extended warranty on a 2012. According to one dealer it was two years $1000 & three years $1300. Trying to confirm that is the deal.
Course I am not a big fan of third party extended warranty after getting the shaft from Western Service when they wouldn't cover the sprocket on my 2008 and said it was wear and tear.

2012 RTL is a good year the price is high but check first if you can get an extended warranty these bikes are complicated and can be expensive to fix

jimcrom
04-13-2016, 08:44 PM
It does seem that Calif is higher than the rest of the country. Maybe they realize how we can ride pretty much year round. $15000 + 7.5% tax=16,125.

I like the lunch idea too, but I'd make the check for $14,000. But then you are in California so maybe real selling prices are higher there.

pitzerwm
04-13-2016, 08:47 PM
I like that idea. I don't like negotiating on cars or motorcycles always feel like I am going to be screwed. That is why I always go to no haggle dealerships.

Trust me you are getting screwed there too. Track down the previous owner to find out two things, any issues and what they gave him.

jimcrom
04-13-2016, 08:52 PM
I am doing that. I thought I heard him say that it was owned by a woman in this rec area. Trying to track that down. but with only 1600 miles, it is not like there was a lot of chances to see it driving around the area. How can you have something for 4 years and it only have 1600 miles?!?

Trust me you are getting screwed there too. Track down the previous owner to find out two things, any issues and what they gave him.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-13-2016, 08:54 PM
It does seem that Calif is higher than the rest of the country. Maybe they realize how we can ride pretty much year round. $15000 + 7.5% tax=16,125.
Have you checked E-bay for used 2014 RT's ......if it has over 7500 miles you can legally bring it into Calif.......imho $ 15,000 for a 2012 RT is way out of line with market prices.....KBB & NADA are also out of line with real world buying / selling prices.........Mike :bbq:

ARtraveler
04-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Surprised at the KBB listing. Seems a bit high compared to others I have seen advertised on SL in the 4 sale threads.

I had a 2011 RT A&C for sale for $13,500 and got no takers. Decided now that I will most likely keep it. 20K miles, BRP comfort seat, fog lamps, trunk light, Seal PUP floorboards. Driven by a little lady only on weekends (that is true, true, true).

I would think about $14.5 K would be more than a fair price. Do some due diligence, get the VIN and have a dealer run it for you. Get the history and see what the story is. 2012 has a reputation of being one of the best of the 998's. Trust but verify.

The dealer should be willing to dump it cheaper than the price they are asking--since I am guessing they don't want to be in the motorcycle business. And, I would guess the trader got between 10K - 12K.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm not getting a lot of bites on my 2013 RT base listed at $12,499, although one couple did come today and took it for a short ride. They have a Paggio but want to move to a Spyder. I couldn't get a real sense of their reaction to the price. I said give me a check for $12,000 and take it out the driveway! I missed one probable sale the other day because I didn't check my temporary phone I set up to take calls for the bike. :banghead: The guy bought another one for cash!

Pirate looks at --
04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
I am doing that. I thought I heard him say that it was owned by a woman in this rec area. Trying to track that down. but with only 1600 miles, it is not like there was a lot of chances to see it driving around the area. How can you have something for 4 years and it only have 1600 miles?!?

Just remember when you close the deal on the RT don't forget to register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! You will love it!

https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/

jimcrom
04-15-2016, 09:02 PM
This one has Calif plates on it so that is not a problem. Not really interested in purchasing out of State.

Now the next question is do the tires have to be replaced after five years? What about the spark plug wires? Does rubber hoses in this situation need to be changed?

Have you checked E-bay for used 2014 RT's ......if it has over 7500 miles you can legally bring it into Calif.......imho $ 15,000 for a 2012 RT is way out of line with market prices.....KBB & NADA are also out of line with real world buying / selling prices.........Mike :bbq:

jimcrom
04-15-2016, 09:06 PM
I am giving it serious consideration. It may also include the wife and the dog since she hasn't been in that area.

Just remember when you close the deal on the RT don't forget to register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! You will love it!

https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-15-2016, 10:30 PM
This one has Calif plates on it so that is not a problem. Not really interested in purchasing out of State.

Now the next question is do the tires have to be replaced after five years? What about the spark plug wires? Does rubber hoses in this situation need to be changed?
..On E-bay in Calif ...a 2015 F-3s with SE trans 206 miles $ 14,950 ....or best offer......this Spyder has it all over the one your looking at...............Mike :bbq:..............JUST LOWERED TO $14,650

jimcrom
05-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Well today I am the new/proud owner of a 2012 RT Limited.
First I want to thank everyone who provided advice and guidance in this process.
Some things that happened;

Found out that the bike was not sold until Jan 2014, so the factory warranty is in effect and because of the sale it was extended by two years. Per Bryce at Bert's Mega Mall I can also buy an additional year for about $460.

The dealer read the mileage but was looking at the trip meter 1607 miles, actual mileage was 10,000 miles. At least it has been used a bit, and hopefully the bugs have been worked out. Dropped the price by $1000 as we were filling out the paperwork. I went in with an offer of $14,500 and after that and the taxes (9.25%) I came away $14,800.

Was able to get in touch with the selling dealer and they had given me an update of what servicing they did and any issues. Probably the biggest thing for me was the manufacturer warranty.

So does anyone who upgraded from a 2012 to a newer model have the shop manual for sale?

I am going to get some floorboards and the wife wants some arm rests. May look for another Corbin seat. Let the farkle begin.

Thanks again for all the info!

What do you think?

SpyderTwyn
05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Congrats! I must say that color is gorgeous....:joke:

enjoy!

jimcrom
09-04-2016, 06:52 PM
So I bought the 2012 RT Limited and I have been pretty happy about it. Some of the issues...horn, fog lights didn't work and no music. So I took it up to the new spyder dealer in San Jose for a going over. They agreed to install a Kumho rear tire. Told them about the issues and wanted any updates done. They come and got me after a while and explained the problem. There is a horn fuse which I checked that was ok. They found that a fuse was not installed that was under the seat. Now I have music, fog lights and a horn. Then they showed me where when it was set up, they only put the hooks on the front trunk and did not install the four screws to fasten it to the frame. So I could have been making a right turn and the trunk could have been going straight. I have upgraded to the Baja Ron Bar and Corbin Seat & arm rests.
So far so good. Will be seeing everyone at the event in Sonora.

scott16119
09-04-2016, 07:52 PM
To answer your tire question.......I'm betting the rear has been replaced already if it has 10,000 miles on it. As for the front tires they seem to last a long time, usually 20,000 miles plus. I agree with your concern about 5 year old tires, I'd think about replacing them with car tires in the not to distant future. They aren't all that expensive and it's a simple job to remove the front wheels.

Bob Denman
09-04-2016, 08:06 PM
So I bought the 2012 RT Limited and I have been pretty happy about it. Some of the issues...horn, fog lights didn't work and no music. So I took it up to the new spyder dealer in San Jose for a going over. They agreed to install a Kumho rear tire. Told them about the issues and wanted any updates done. They come and got me after a while and explained the problem. There is a horn fuse which I checked that was ok. They found that a fuse was not installed that was under the seat. Now I have music, fog lights and a horn. Then they showed me where when it was set up, they only put the hooks on the front trunk and did not install the four screws to fasten it to the frame. So I could have been making a right turn and the trunk could have been going straight. I have upgraded to the Baja Ron Bar and Corbin Seat & arm rests.
So far so good. Will be seeing everyone at the event in Sonora.
Thanks for the update, and I'm glad that the bike's issues have been found and fixed! :thumbup: :congrats: