PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, and appreciation....

Arachnaphile
02-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Hello, all. I am a new member, been lurking for about 2 weeks, and I want to say thanks for all the useful info I've read on here. Thx to Lamonster for starting this site, it's truly a gold mine of Spyder info. Now a little background about me.....

I first started looking at the spyder last summer, I wanted a CBR 600RR, but my parents, my dad in particular, nixed the idea of anything on 2 wheels (I am in my late 20's, and I know I can do what I want, but I respect my parents for all they have sacrificed and done for me, so I must respect their wishes). Besides, from what I hear, a CBR wouldn't have been a good idea for a first bike. So, I saw this strange contraption with 2 wheels in the front and one in the back. Sat on it and fell in love. I then began the research, which led me all over the net, and most recently, here.

I have not purchased yet (I'm trying to save enough for a decent downpayment to offset the monthly payments), I live in the Fresno area, and Clawson Motorsports quoted a price in the $19,000 (out the door, taxes and all, may have been a fully loaded model, idk) range which is out of the question. I don't know if this is negotiable, the dealer I spoke to was the same guy who I was gonna buy through last year, nice guy, friendly, but I gotta shop within my limits. I see some 08's going for $13,500, and I'm thinking about going that route. If anyone can suggest a good dealer in CA who can help, I would appreciate it.

One more thing: I know the SE5 has more reported issues than the SM5, but I was gonna go with the SM5 for budget concerns anyway. The bad is always magnified on forums, while the good is minimized or not even reported, but one serious concern I have: What is up with the steering issues? Dicey steering at highway speeds is enough to make me reconsider, even if the odds are in my favor.....but I REALLY want this thing. I will most likely never own a bike, so this is probably as good as it's gonna get for me.

Sorry for the titangraph, and thx in advance for all of your help. Great resource u folks have provided here.....

strats
02-26-2009, 04:59 AM
welcome
Good to have you "not lurking" anymore

gjco
02-26-2009, 06:33 AM
welcome

Lamonster
02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
welcome:spyder2::doorag:

babyanlee
02-26-2009, 06:39 AM
welcome

retread
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM
welcome

dltang
02-26-2009, 10:39 AM
welcome

crazycanuck
02-26-2009, 10:58 AM
welcome

Greg H.
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
welcome :cheers:

Dudley
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
welcome
Seems like you are near the point we all reached about our Spyders. I read reviews, blogs, marketing, etc., etc. for about 2 months. I tried to weigh the plus and minus factors and then figured that nothing made by man is perfect. We have had our SE5 since 11-18-08, have over 5800 miles and have never regretted buying it. The transmission has the "fix" and it really improved the shifting. The brakes squeek, but they stop you on a dime, so that's not a safety issue (the dealer will change them, as per BRP bulletin, I just need to make an appointment). As for the stearing, thankfully no problem for us. We plan on a trip this summer that will be nearly 8000 miles and feel like the Spyder will pull us through. I rode 2 wheelers for over 40 years and find that the Spyder is safer, more versatile (I can stop on any surface big enough to accomadate it without worry about slope, softness, gravel, sand, etc.). The all-around safety of any vehicle is largely dependant on the driver. Many motorcycle accidents could be prevented if the driver had been more defensive and not taken other motorists for granted. When you buy your Spyder, I wish you many miles of pleasure.

SpyderGirl
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
welcome

Hope we can get in on a ride with you this year. I am in my late 20s and was also toying around with the idea of a sport-bike and am sure glad I bought a Spyder. We are in East Contra Costa County.

bjt
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Welcome to SpyderLovers. :f_spider:

FANG
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
welcome to a great :spyder2: family

pitmon
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
:clap:welcome Welcome and glad to see you here. Hope you get your spyder, I know you will love it!!

spyder3rdr
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
welcome glad to have you aboard

Diggittt
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
welcome and follow your heart. You already decided that you want a motorcycle and have stated that this is as close as you will ever get so go for it. You will not be disappointed with this machine. Like all new things, there are growing pains we must endure but they are all so far very miner. I am in the Central Valley as well and I too hope we can take our :f_spider:'s out for a nice run.......

Diggittt

BajaRon
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
First of all welcome. Lurking is for cowards! :D
Your parents gave you good advise. Don't start with a CBR. You have a lot of life ahead of you if you do things right. There is plenty of time to get that crotch rocket once you get some experience.

The Spyder is a great ride. Not a motorcycle (contrary to the DMV... but then when have they ever been right?) but a great ride in it's own right.

Steering issues are not common when you look at the big picture. And of those the majority seem to be that it doesn't work at all (as in my case).

Intermittent steering problems with pulling the wrong direction, etc., are a bit disturbing but seem to be very rare.

There are no guarantees in life. But your odds go way up with a Spyder vs. most everything else on 2 wheels. And I've been riding 2 wheels for longer than I'd like to admit.

SpyderByter
02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
First of all, codus on the respect you show for your parents :2thumbs:.

After being on 2 wheelers since i was 16, i can say that i don't miss them. The Spyder has just too many more advantages over disadvatages compared to a 2 wheeler. I drove it to work today in CT (6:30 AM). There was a very thin layer of "Black Ice" on some parts of the roads. Nothing you would even notice in a car, even when braking. But I noticed it on the Spyder only because the rear tire would spin and fishtail a bit before the traction control kicked in. But it steered fine and braked fine, even though i was cruisin. I would have been asking for a trip to the hospital if i was on my two wheeler.

SpyderByter
02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok, you live in Cali, so whats this black ice thing have to do with me you ask? Glad you asked. Now ask some old timer bikers in Cali if they ever came around the corner and found themselves going into a patch of oil or antifreeze, or ended up driving home in an unexpected sprinkle when the roads are the most slippery.

8LEGS
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
welcome

Arachnaphile
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
....u guys (and ladies) are as hospitable as all my previous reading has led me to believe. Thank you all.....lemme try to make some responses.....

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me.....I am already feeling like a part of your great community even tho it'll prob be June before I get my Spyder:pray:.

Dudley: I agree, the most effective safety for operating any vehicle lies between the operator's ears.

SpyderGirl: Thx for the welcome, and yes, I have family in the Sac. and S.F. area, so when I get my Spyder, I plan on visiting them, and a ride with you guys would be really cool.

Diggitt: Very cool, and since I drive down to L.A. occasionally, I would look forward to riding with you when I get my hands on my Spyder:pray: (You guys already have me planning ahead:D).

BajaRon: Yeah, it was a lil shamefully voyeuristic:opps::D, but I'm glad to be here. The Traction Control and ABS, along with the inherent stability of three wheels are deciding factors for me.

SpyderByter: Thank you for the kind words...and the black ice thing isn't so farfetched in Cali as you might think....I drive to L.A. fairly regularly, and anyone who travels up and down the Golden State knows about the area by Grapevine. It's just south of Bakersfield, and right before you hit L.A. county....its a sharp uphill climb (into the mountain) and during certain times of the year it is rendered impassable due to icy conditions because of it's altitude......oil and antifreeze are other concerns as well, like you mentioned.....

strats, gjco, Lamonster, babyanlee, retread,dltang, crazycanuck,Greg H., bjt,wbbrn1952,pitmon,sypder3rdr, and 8LEGS: Much appreciated.....

Can't stress how great you guys have been, and i'm happy to be a part of your family.....

Oh, and if anyone from Cali could post your dealer experiences and recommendations I would sincerely appreciate it.....

Gotta run to the gym.....look forward to catching up on all the other threads when I get back.......

pzim
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
welcome:congrats:

LDFIREWORKS
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
:2thumbs::congrats:welcome:spyder:

4leafpat
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi,
I bought mine at Marina Boat Sales in Lodi. Nice folks and I got a good deal on an 08 SM5 last summer plus I traded in my Kawasaki Mean Streak for the Spyder, which other shops were not interested in due to not really being motorcycle dealers.

Good luck and there are enough of us around now to get a group ride together in the SF and Sac areas.

Pat

Director
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
welcome
Seems like you are near the point we all reached about our Spyders. I read reviews, blogs, marketing, etc., etc. for about 2 months. I tried to weigh the plus and minus factors and then figured that nothing made by man is perfect. We have had our SE5 since 11-18-08, have over 5800 miles and have never regretted buying it. The transmission has the "fix" and it really improved the shifting. The brakes squeek, but they stop you on a dime, so that's not a safety issue (the dealer will change them, as per BRP bulletin, I just need to make an appointment). As for the stearing, thankfully no problem for us. We plan on a trip this summer that will be nearly 8000 miles and feel like the Spyder will pull us through. I rode 2 wheelers for over 40 years and find that the Spyder is safer, more versatile (I can stop on any surface big enough to accomadate it without worry about slope, softness, gravel, sand, etc.). The all-around safety of any vehicle is largely dependant on the driver. Many motorcycle accidents could be prevented if the driver had been more defensive and not taken other motorists for granted. When you buy your Spyder, I wish you many miles of pleasure.

:agree: Well said, Dudley. Motorcycles are not inherently unsafe. Defensive riding is the key to survival.

Bruce

P.S. Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders, Arachnaphile!

Arachnaphile
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks pzim, LDFIREWORKS and Director...

4leafpat: the info is much appreciated, what I was looking for...glad you got a good deal, I'm guessing from your username you've got the luck o' the Irish on your side:D...

aka1004
02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
welcome
i think alot of dealers still have 08s sitting on their floor (due to economy i believe) and willing to deal. also check ebay for possible dealer near you trying to sell off 08s. most will finance and save few more bucks for add-on
you gonna need them.:D

srspyder
02-28-2009, 03:50 AM
welcome

The_Spyderwoman
02-28-2009, 04:13 AM
welcome

Arachnaphile
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
welcome
i think alot of dealers still have 08s sitting on their floor (due to economy i believe) and willing to deal. also check ebay for possible dealer near you trying to sell off 08s. most will finance and save few more bucks for add-on
you gonna need them.:D

thx terribull and srspyder.....

aka1004: I'm really counting on the bolded above, quite possibly my strongest bargaining leverage I believe...I'm keeping an eye on EBay, and calculating a lower price out of state combined with shipping costs as compared with the California markup (man, I used to live in Tennessee, and compared to there, EVERYTHING costs more here:yikes::(:banghead:).