PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question?

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 12:05 AM
I formerly rode a 2012 RT and recently bought a 2015 RT. Has anybody else who made a similar switch noticed any differences in the position of the foot pegs and handlebars. I am not talking anything major but it seems that my left foot hurts a little more when shifting, as well as my shoulders. Anybody else out there?

:dontknow:

Bfromla
04-08-2016, 01:51 AM
I formerly rode a 2012 RT and recently bought a 2015 RT. Has anybody else who made a similar switch noticed any differences in the position of the foot pegs and handlebars. I am not talking anything major but it seems that my left foot hurts a little more when shifting, as well as my shoulders. Anybody else out there?

:dontknow:
Just a guess by your choice in words "formerly" that it has been some time & maybe you are just out of practice? :dontknow::coffee::coffee: Just a thought:popcorn::thumbup:

ThreeWheels
04-08-2016, 05:13 AM
I went from a 2010 RT to a 2014 RT, and frankly I have not noticed any ergo changes. Maybe they are subtle enough that I haven't noticed them.
My ex girlfriend mentioned that the seat seemed a bit more comfortable.
I had a Utopia backrest on the 2010, and I have the factory backrest on my 2014.
Sorry, I don't have any information to help you.

Oh, and one other thing. There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however stupid answers.

Brentc
04-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Could be the subtle difference in your former bike having been broken in to your liking, and the new bike still getting fit to you?

wyliec
04-08-2016, 06:28 AM
You say your left foot hurts a little more, indicating it was already hurting with your previous spyder. In physical therapy we notice when someone's body is aching in one place they compensate their movements elsewhere to try and alleviate the pain.

However, if you didn't mean your left foot was hurting previously, forget what I said.

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 06:53 AM
;) You might just be over-thinking this whole thing...
But just because I never noticed any differences in my two bikes; it doesn't mean that they weren't there.
Do what you can to make your foot not hurt first: good luck! :thumbup:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the responses. To answer the questions posed, no I havent been away for awhile. Traded the 12 and bought the 15 at the same time so I didnt have to re-acclimate to the bikes. I believe the differences are subtle, but I have noticed a difference. I guess riding the 12 for over a year did get the bike adjusted to my body, but I never noticed any problems when I first started riding. Maybe it will take some time. And yes, my left foot has been hurting for awhile. About a year and a half. It just seems to be hurting a little more since I got the 15. Shift lever, I have a manual, just seems to be hitting a slightly different part of my foot now. I try to adjust my foot but I cant seem to find the sweet spot that I never had to try to find with the 12. Oh well, I still am enjoying the hell out my new Spyder. I will figure it out soon.

ijon1
04-08-2016, 07:05 AM
In my opinion there is no stupid question. You are looking for knowledge. This is the place to find it.

Upstater
04-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. To answer the questions posed, no I havent been away for awhile. Traded the 12 and bought the 15 at the same time so I didnt have to re-acclimate to the bikes. I believe the differences are subtle, but I have noticed a difference. I guess riding the 12 for over a year did get the bike adjusted to my body, but I never noticed any problems when I first started riding. Maybe it will take some time. And yes, my left foot has been hurting for awhile. About a year and a half. It just seems to be hurting a little more since I got the 15. Shift lever, I have a manual, just seems to be hitting a slightly different part of my foot now. I try to adjust my foot but I cant seem to find the sweet spot that I never had to try to find with the 12. Oh well, I still am enjoying the hell out my new Spyder. I will figure it out soon.

I have a '12 RT SE5 and I may be asking a stupid question here. Is the larger engine rpm difference causing a change in shifting pattern? In other words, on the 2012 semi-automatic SE5 we "shift" at higher rpm's than the new larger engines. Is this true for standard machines as well? My thought is that you may have to shift sooner in the lower rpm range (and maybe more often depending on the ride) than on your previous machine. :dontknow: If so, maybe this new pattern is exacerbating your recurring problem.

Michaelscs
04-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Have you tried adjusting your shift lever? That can make a huge difference.
There's a turnbuckle underneath to allow you to adjust the height of your shifter.
A little change can make a big change for the comfort of your foot!

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Come to think of it; there WAS a change to the seats in 2014! :thumbup:
That might make all of the difference!

Hokiev
04-08-2016, 07:58 AM
If you like me...it's just OLD AGE Creeping in!!

kbwitt
04-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Since it is on shifter foot. Maybe could try a shoe or boot with a stiff or harder sole.
Like the post about shifter is adjustable maybe both will help. Good luck .
Kenn

ARtraveler
04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
The later RT's have the foot boards tilted a bit downward compared to the more level positioning on the earlier version (2012). When I first saw this, I was wondering "what are they thinking?" I found the position to be slightly more comfortable when I changed from my 2010 to the 2014. IMO, the seats are still "mush" and I changed over to a BRP Comfort seat the following year.

I have dealt with bad hip issues so am familiar with riding in pain. For a long time I carried a sheepskin gel pad and a AirHawk cushion so that I could change up my riding positions as needed.

Whether ergos are good or bad pretty much depends on the individual.

jerpinoy
04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
muscles memory. you'll get used to your new ride.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2016, 02:09 PM
That's what I was wondering! The seat sure feels different on my '14 compared to the '13. What did they do, shorten the driver's part of the seat? I'm half tempted to give whoever finally buys my '13 the seat off my '14 and keep the '13 seat!

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 02:13 PM
If your 2013 is handy; swap the seats, and see if it makes a difference... Good Luck! :thumbup:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I have a '12 RT SE5 and I may be asking a stupid question here. Is the larger engine rpm difference causing a change in shifting pattern? In other words, on the 2012 semi-automatic SE5 we "shift" at higher rpm's than the new larger engines. Is this true for standard machines as well? My thought is that you may have to shift sooner in the lower rpm range (and maybe more often depending on the ride) than on your previous machine. :dontknow: If so, maybe this new pattern is exacerbating your recurring problem.

As far as the foot problem goes, I believe this is the culprit. Goin 50mph on the 2012 im only in 3rd gear as opposed to 6th on the 2015. More upshifts and downshifts, more shifts using my POS foot. :thumbup:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 10:27 PM
If you like me...it's just OLD AGE Creeping in!!

I refuse to believe that is the problem. LOL. It aint creepin in, its just bustin the door down and making itself at home.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 10:30 PM

And apparently it is just enough to cause me to notice it. As usual, thanks everyone for the help and the information.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Have you tried adjusting your shift lever? That can make a huge difference.
There's a turnbuckle underneath to allow you to adjust the height of your shifter.
A little change can make a big change for the comfort of your foot!

Did not know the shifter lever was adjustable. I will definitely check this out.

Chupaca
04-08-2016, 11:06 PM
The difference is more likely the seat. Now as to the shifter you can adjust it. The tips are elliptical and can swing up and down forward and back a bit. Loosen the pinch bolt and rotate the tip and give it a try. You can also raise or lower the lever. Remove the pinch bolt there and pull the lever off the shift shaft and move it up or down really install on the splines and tighten the pinch bolt...this could help the foot pain if you haven'the tried it already...:thumbup: