PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

GASpyderRT
04-07-2016, 10:09 PM
the dreaded check engine light came on and I noticed that when i stop the Spyder shuts off or sputters with low idle. I pulled the code P1172 (burning rich on number 1 Bank)and found some saying that its possibly caused by cracked or broken vacuum hoses. Which side of the bike would i pull the plastic off of to check the hoses? i would rather not have to haul it 75 miles to a dealership if possible. Thanks

spyderCodes
04-07-2016, 10:29 PM
the dreaded check engine light came on and I noticed that when i stop the Spyder shuts off or sputters with low idle. I pulled the code P1172 (burning rich on number 1 Bank)and found some saying that its possibly caused by cracked or broken vacuum hoses. Which side of the bike would i pull the plastic off of to check the hoses? i would rather not have to haul it 75 miles to a dealership if possible. Thanks

The hoses are on the left side but the crack usually causes a lean condition, but I would have a look anyway.

spyderCodes
04-07-2016, 11:01 PM
It could be a spark plug, plug wire or a coil.

Chupaca
04-07-2016, 11:04 PM
:agree:....two best replaced with silicone hoses. Check well they are deceiving. ..

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127536&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127537&stc=1

Snowbelt Spyder
04-08-2016, 06:50 AM
While the vacuum leak created by the cracked hoses usually causes a lean condition, the erroneous signal coming from the MAP sensor will usually cause a rich condition. The same as a sensor failure would. Either way, if they've never been changed, then it's time.

Left side of throttle bodies, tucked up under the air box. Look for a black sensor with a vacuum hose coming from each side to the front a rear throttle bodies. The hose lengths are critical. They both should be 85mm long and 3mm ID.

spyderCodes
04-08-2016, 09:10 AM
While the vacuum leak created by the cracked hoses usually causes a lean condition, the erroneous signal coming from the MAP sensor will usually cause a rich condition. The same as a sensor failure would. Either way, if they've never been changed, then it's time.

Left side of throttle bodies, tucked up under the air box. Look for a black sensor with a vacuum hose coming from each side to the front a rear throttle bodies. The hose lengths are critical. They both should be 85mm long and 3mm ID.

You are absolutely right about that.
The error codes the Spyder generates don't always reflect exactly what the problem is.
They usually point in the general area.
Sometimes there are multiple codes that are actually caused by the the "bad thing" and this causes a cascade of other codes.

Sorry, just a little tirade about error codes.
I'll get off my soapbox and stand in the corner......

Snowbelt Spyder
04-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks. Yeah, the MAP sensor vacuum hoses are the logical first place to start. Now that I've gotten to the computer, here's the pic for the OP.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127566&stc=1

GASpyderRT
04-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks. Yeah, the MAP sensor vacuum hoses are the logical first place to start. Now that I've gotten to the computer, here's the pic for the OP.

Thanks http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127566&stc=1
for all the help I will pull the plastic tomorrow and inspect them. Should I get the vacuum hoses from the dealer?

JKMSPYDER
04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Do a thread search for vacuum hoses. I replaced mine with NAPA silicone hoses. They can withstand the heat much better than the BRP hoses and much cheaper. I can't remember the part # but you should be able to find it in the search. Just found the NAPA part #. H466.

bronzeflex42
04-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Do a thread search for vacuum hoses. I replaced mine with NAPA silicone hoses. They can withstand the heat much better than the BRP hoses and much cheaper. I can't remember the part # but you should be able to find it in the search. Just found the NAPA part #. H466.
I searched NAPA sites and they are all out of stock. I ordered an equal part from Autoplicity. Gates racing part#27075 vacuum hose(silicone). They suppose to be the same parts. I just wanted some on hand in case i need them. :clap:Are the sizes 85 mm long for both hoses?

Grandpot
04-15-2016, 03:01 PM
I searched NAPA sites and they are all out of stock. I ordered an equal part from Autoplicity. Gates racing part#27075 vacuum hose(silicone). They suppose to be the same parts. I just wanted some on hand in case i need them. :clap:Are the sizes 85 mm long for both hoses?

The length is just a little under 4". The actual length is not as critical as the two hoses being of EQUAL length. Stretch out and measure one of the old hoses and then cut to new ones to be the same length.

Snowbelt Spyder
04-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Yes. the official length from the service manual is 85mm for both.

GASpyderRT
04-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes. the official length from the service manual is 85mm for both.
It doesn't appear to be the hoses they look like they are in good shape. so I am going to tow it into a dealer and see what the problem is.