PDA

View Full Version : F3 questions

PrairieSpyder
04-07-2016, 06:23 PM
OK, for you F3 owners. Do you think I need the Ron-bar?

Also wondering about shocks. Are shock-adjusters and repositioners the same thing?

reissooz
04-07-2016, 06:37 PM

Also wondering about shocks. Are shock-adjusters and repositioners the same thing?

Patti, I got the Ron-bar because I felt anything that helps handling on any motorcycle is a plus. I am planning to upgrade my shocks, probably the Elka Stage 2s, this year. I'm not sure about the F3T though. I would ask Joan how she feels about upgrading the shocks.

900Dave
04-07-2016, 07:07 PM
I do not own an F3 at this moment, BUT I can tell you I spent a lot of my money to get my ST to handle better. Baja Ron sway bar and I put a set of Elkas on the front and back. I just did a demo ride on an F3 Limited with my wife on the back. Out of the box the F3 completely blows my ST away in the ride and cornering. At this point when I make the purchase later in the year I am definitely thinking I will ride the F3 Limited stock for a little and then decide.

CanAmChris
04-07-2016, 07:12 PM
See my post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?91398-Baja-Ron-F3-anti-sway-bar

I am what some would call a "spirited" rider. Shocks and anti-sway bars perform separate tasks. For me, the bar made all the difference. Your mileage may vary.

bscrive
04-07-2016, 07:34 PM
I didn't put on Ron's bar on my wife's F3, I just put on a RT bar that I got from another member. My wife said that she didn't notice any difference. She found that the F3 handled great stock, unlike her GS and STL. On both those machines, Ron's bar made all the difference. The RT bar was noticeable thicker than the stock F3 bar. There was a chart put on here last year that showed the strength of the stock F3 bar and the stock RT bar. The stock RT bar was significantly stronger. Not to put down Ron's bar. Ron puts out quality stuff, but the RT bar was much cheaper. I did put the aluminum hiem joints he sells for the bars.

Also, my wife is a pretty aggressive driver. She keeps up to me on my new Valkyrie.

Tazzel
04-07-2016, 08:02 PM
No you dont neeeeeeed it.

You will get use to the way it handles in the corners at stock.

If you want to hold the line with less effort and more control then a upgraded sway bar will help.

cuznjohn
04-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Pattie good luck if you get the f3. i have sat on a few, but find them a lil small for me.

Chupaca
04-07-2016, 08:14 PM
You don't need the sway bar till you ryde it sufficiently to know you do...The shock adjusters and the relocators are different animals. I would suggest the adjusters because they will give you that little bit more. The relocators I don't believe would work on the newer model spyders. Ryde first modify later and do it a little at a time so you can see what each is doing for you and if you like or need them....:thumbup:

Sarge707
04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I had the Ron Bar on my 09GS and I have it on my 2012 RT and It is GREAT!!
On my New 2015 F3 I feel NO need for a Different sway bar BUT might put on a 2014-2015 RT sway Bar for a stiffer feel.
The stock F3 Handles Great with the Stock Bar -I would Wait and See how you like it FIRST?

PrairieSpyder
04-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Pattie good luck if you get the f3. i have sat on a few, but find them a lil small for me.

The F3 is only small for you for now. Pretty soon there'll be less of you and it might fit juuuuuust right! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
04-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I had added the anti-sway bar to my '14 RTS on general principle, based on my experience with the '11 RTS. But I'd also heard that the '14 stock RT bar was already stiffer than the ones on the older models. So I was wondering if the F3 needed it.

Would someone please explain the shock adjusters? What do they do and how?

Thanks.

cuznjohn
04-07-2016, 08:55 PM
The F3 is only small for you for now. Pretty soon there'll be less of you and it might fit juuuuuust right! :thumbup:

right now i am down 43 pounds, but this week the loss stopped. i expected that, and i also started eating semi solid food again. it will be a long process, but i have nothing but time

spyderyderjim
04-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Hi Patti,
The 2016 F3T has about the same rear swingarm as your 2014 RT, soft spring rear shock spring and air bladder (that you can add air to if you want rear to sit higher or ride a little firmer). The 2016 F3T front stock shocks are good.
The stock 2016 F3T should be spot on suspension for your riding!!!
The stock 2016 F3T is much firmer than your stock 2014 RT suspension (so you will love the firmer, faster handling in corners than your 2014). (you will probably try to pass my 2015 F3S in a corner on Hwy 125 as good as you ride, ha)!!
1. I would suggest you have Pitcrew remove Cat & install the cat bypass pipe. You have a RT type quieter muffler on stock 2016 F3T (than on the short loud 2015 F3 muffler).
2. If you can swing it $ wise I would suggest drivers adjustable back rest.
3. Also you should get the 2016 Tall F3T windshield installed (7" taller & about 5" closer to helmet give you a quieter shield, more wind protection), (maybe Len will trade stock F3T shield & a few $$ to boot). (the stock shield is about 2" farther forward at top of shield than the 2015 F3 curved shield that created hearing lose wind blasting around my helmet).
I think you will really enjoy your F3T for the lighter feeling, much better handling, faster corners with no effort, than your 2014 RT!!
(You can email me for any questions about F3 Spyder as I have made many mods to get it to the 2016 F3T stock level, in my 1 year experience of ryding 2015 F3S).
Front Shock spring preload adjusters is a ring nut type around shock threads where you can turn the ring a few turns tighter for stiffer shock spring preload or softer.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

PrairieSpyder
04-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Hi Patti,
The 2016 F3T has about the same rear swingarm as your 2014 RT, soft spring rear shock spring and air bladder (that you can add air to if you want rear to sit higher or ride a little firmer). The 2016 F3T front stock shocks are good.
The stock 2016 F3T should be spot on suspension for your riding!!!
The stock 2016 F3T is much firmer than your stock 2014 RT suspension (so you will love the firmer, faster handling in corners than your 2014). (you will probably try to pass my 2015 F3S in a corner on Hwy 125 as good as you ride, ha)!!
1. I would suggest you have Pitcrew remove Cat & install the cat bypass pipe. You have a RT type quieter muffler on stock 2016 F3T (than on the short loud 2015 F3 muffler).
2. If you can swing it $ wise I would suggest drivers adjustable back rest.
3. Also you should get the 2016 Tall F3T windshield installed (7" taller & about 5" closer to helmet give you a quieter shield, more wind protection), (maybe Len will trade stock F3T shield & a few $$ to boot). (the stock shield is about 2" farther forward at top of shield than the 2015 F3 curved shield that created hearing lose wind blasting around my helmet).
I think you will really enjoy your F3T for the lighter feeling, much better handling, faster corners with no effort, than your 2014 RT!!
(You can email me for any questions about F3 Spyder as I have made many mods to get it to the 2016 F3T stock level, in my 1 year experience of ryding 2015 F3S).
Front Shock spring preload adjusters is a ring nut type around shock threads where you can turn the ring a few turns tighter for stiffer shock spring preload or softer.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I was thinking about the tall-boy windshield, but being as short as I am, I'm concerned it'd be too tall for me to see over it. IF I get an F3T, I'll go with the stock shield and see how it goes. By Spyderfest next year, there'll probably be some aftermarket shields on the market.

If we ride Hwy 125 again, you'll have to just try to keep up!

Patti

PrairieSpyder
04-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Another question for those of you who have F3's . . . Do you use a travel cover? There's an OEM one in the catalog, but is there another source? What do you recommend? :hun:

siny10309
04-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Another question for those of you who have F3's . . . Do you use a travel cover? There's an OEM one in the catalog, but is there another source? What do you recommend? :hun:

I bought this one from Amazon and am really happy with it. fits great, heavy duty, has 2 vents, heat shields, windshield hole, and about a quarter of the price. held up great with the elements so far.

Fits an F3 great

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Can-Spyder-Storage-Cover/dp/B00A3EZKWG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Patti, I would hold off on the cover until you decide on your windshield................and to my knowledge there are no shock re-positioners and or re-locators .......Mike :bbq:...........................PS how's things going with your RT problem ???????

Midian
04-13-2016, 02:09 PM
I can see how a new sway bar would be beneficial on something like an RT because you sit so high on them. I seriously don't know how anyone rides those things! It feels like kneeling on a chair at the dinner table. But I have a '16 F3T limited SS and it handles like a damn ninja. I ride it pretty hard and I can't see how anything could make it handle better without inertia throwing you off it.

Maybe I am wrong but that's how it feels to me. I have been wrong in the past, you know. Just ask my ex wife, ex girlfriends, ex employers... Well, anyone with "ex" as a lead descriptor in their title. :roflblack:

Tazzel
04-13-2016, 04:29 PM
I rode my F3 for 2k miles then put the upgraded sway bar on. In my opinion, it does handle better in the turns now. However, having also owned a 2012 RS and installing an upgraded sway bar on the RS, the F3 handled better stock then the stock RS.

Des
04-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Need to upgrade the rear shock & Spring on the F3s 2015 as the ones that are supplied with bike are very substandard and should have never been fitted to the F3 ,poor quality control by BRP?:yikes: Des Down under :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

OJ UK
04-14-2016, 05:04 AM
Need to upgrade the rear shock & Spring on the F3s 2015 as the ones that are supplied with bike are very substandard and should have never been fitted to the F3 ,poor quality control by BRP?:yikes: Des Down under :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Patti will, I believe, be getting the 2016 F3-T or F3-L and both of those models have different swinging arm and suspension set up to the F3-S.

But I agree that the OEM rear shock on the F3-S is a bloody disaster and way too soft.....there is a replacement with a different part number ( 219 400 739 )
which is said to address the failings of the original.

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Patti will, I believe, be getting the 2016 F3-T or F3-l and both of those models have different swinging arm and suspension set up to the F3-S.

But I agree that the OEM rear shock on the F3-S is a bloody disaster and way too soft.....there is a replacement with a different part number ( 219 400 739 )
which is said to address the failings of the original.

Yes, the F3T is what I'm considering. Thanks for that info, OJ.

armyspydervet
04-14-2016, 08:24 AM
I just got the OEM travel cover in the mail yesterday. High quality and it has zippered cut outs for the windshield and passenger backrest (it even folds into itself and has an integrated zipper so there is no separate bag to haul around. I was surprised how compact it is rolled up). If you use a smaller windshield, should be no problem. Not sure about going to a larger. At SpyderFest, you are welcome to give my F3-T a good walk around and test drive. All these questions you are asking, I had and more. Still considering a sway bar and upgraded seat, but I want to look at other people's bike and see what the different options are.

armyspydervet
04-14-2016, 07:04 PM
This is cover WILL work with a larger windshield. I didn't notice it earlier, but at the crease where the cover meets the top of the windshield is another zipper. If you unzip it, it extends to accommodate a larger windshield. This cover is NICE.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128050&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128051&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128052&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128053&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128054&stc=1

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the pics. :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Maybe I should have asked more questions . . . like . . . should I buy one? But I went and did it! :dg1:

I couldn't help myself and had to test drive it, so I drove down to Springfield yesterday, stayed over and then spent most of today at Pitbull's. I did a test ryde and am hooked. They're gonna build it and I'll pick it up Monday of SF week. Red F3T with a few mods of my choosing.

ARtraveler
04-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Maybe I should have asked more questions . . . like . . . should I buy one? But I went and did it! :dg1:

I couldn't help myself and had to test drive it, so I drove down to Springfield yesterday, stayed over and then spent most of today at Pitbull's. I did a test ryde and am hooked. They're gonna build it and I'll pick it up Monday of SF week. Red F3T with a few mods of my choosing.

:congrats: You know the routine. Pictures when you get it. :yes:

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2016, 09:38 PM
:congrats: You know the routine. Pictures when you get it. :yes:

You betcha!

armyspydervet
04-14-2016, 10:56 PM

:congrats:Glad to see the Bob D and Brent support group was able to assist another :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
04-14-2016, 11:23 PM
I guess I've been out of the loop, I didn't realize that you were buying an F3. I hope you like it

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2016, 11:34 PM
I guess I've been out of the loop, I didn't realize that you were buying an F3. I hope you like it

I became interested when they came out with the touring version. I started considering it after Bayou and when I took my RTS to Len for repair, I got to see the one I liked all shiny and bright in the showroom. But I wanted to test drive first. Planned to do that during SpyderFest, but some of the mods I'd want would take more time than SF would allow. So I went down there and demo'd it.

armyspydervet
04-15-2016, 04:45 AM
I became interested when they came out with the touring version. I started considering it after Bayou and when I took my RTS to Len for repair, I got to see the one I liked all shiny and bright in the showroom. But I wanted to test drive first. Planned to do that during SpyderFest, but some of the mods I'd want would take more time than SF would allow. So I went down there and demo'd it.

What mods are you getting?

JKMSPYDER
04-15-2016, 05:55 AM
Congratulations Patti!!!!

reissooz
04-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Yeehaw Patti!!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes: You are going to love it! Congratulations!

PrairieSpyder
04-15-2016, 07:23 AM
What mods are you getting?

Bump skid, heated grips, floor boards, GPS mount, red scoops & grill trim, red chrome wheels, signature light, driver back rest, short reach bars.

armyspydervet
04-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Bump skid, heated grips, floor boards, GPS mount, red scoops & grill trim, red chrome wheels, signature light, driver back rest, short reach bars.

LOL. Got it. That is going to be a nice ryde!

PrairieSpyder
04-15-2016, 07:43 AM
LOL. Got it. That is going to be a nice ryde!

Then there will be a list at the vendor village, but it's not final, yet.

reissooz
04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Then there will be a list at the vendor village, but it's not final, yet.
Which chrome wheels did you get? SE or manual?

PrairieSpyder
04-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Which chrome wheels did you get? SE or manual?

SE, of course!

Nyparrothead
04-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I have the sway bar and Elka stage 2's. It makes is a different bike!

KID Ryker
04-15-2016, 09:31 AM
:congrats:Have Funny.

cognaccruiser
04-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Congrats Patti. I saw that you were interested but had not seen that you had gone and pulled the trigger (computer troubles = limited reading time). Sounds like a real beauty. If we didn't have the RTS for long road trips and no trailer, I'd be all over that triple black. Going to miss Spyderfest this year but would have loved to have seen it. Looking forward to pics.

Gary

PrairieSpyder
04-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Congrats Patti. I saw that you were interested but had not seen that you had gone and pulled the trigger (computer troubles = limited reading time). Sounds like a real beauty. If we didn't have the RTS for long road trips and no trailer, I'd be all over that triple black. Going to miss Spyderfest this year but would have loved to have seen it. Looking forward to pics.

Gary

I'm slowly learning to travel with less stuff. For really long trips, I'll take my Leesure-Lite camper, on which I can load some extra stuff.:ohyea: