PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question

Commander
04-07-2016, 08:28 AM
I have a 2015 RTL. My wife rides with me most of the time and we are about 100 lbs under the max vehicle capacity. should I consider better shocks/shock spring adjusters, or just leave things alone for now?

Bob Denman
04-07-2016, 08:35 AM
If I were you: I'd ride it for a while, and let the bike tell you what it needs. :thumbup:
I have added BajaRon's front shock preload adjusters to my 2014, but kept the stock Anti-Swaybar.

DrewNJ
04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
If I were you: I'd ride it for a while, and let the bike tell you what it needs.[emoji106].

Best advice for sure!!![emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Chupaca
04-07-2016, 10:48 AM
:agree: it's all in the ryde. As you get more miles under your belt you will feel if you need more in the way of suspension. There are many steps you can take and as Bob said the adjusters is step #1. This will allow you to see the difference as needed....:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2016, 11:01 AM
I believe you have an LTD RT, if so the rear shock self-adjusts for the load carried............as others have suggested ride it awhile first, then consider a Bajaron Sway-Bar as a first step......I think that may be all the extra you would need ........Mike :bbq:

PMK
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Our 2014 Rts was purchased new and modded in stages.

I will say though, if I knew the benefit of all the mods in the begining, the decision would be obvious and concluded with why did I wait.

We rode our machine stock for a bit.

Within two weeks of purchasing the Spyder, I balanced the front tires to get rid of the front end shake.

About 6 months after purchase was the installation of the BajaRon swaybar. I also aligned the front wheels.

The machine was ridden with this chassis setup for just under 18 months.

In december of 2015 I installed the Can Am optional FoxShox for the front of the RTs.

The FoxShox, have a firmer spring than oem. They also have adjustable preload and far superior damping for better grip and control.

Each change improved the handling. However, the best single mod for handling was the FoxShox and new rear tire.

I want to add that I wish I had spent the money on front shox earlier but was holding out for the best which is Ohlins. Ohlins still is not offering Spyder suspension yet, but these FoxShox are very good for short money. Add in the swaybar and the front is now planted well enough that my next change is firmer sidewall front tires.

Many people here have installed the preload adjuster and / or the swaybar. Not knocking the preload adjusters but I would put that money into FoxShox that have adjustable preload and much more.

Adding preload is not the same as increasing spring rate.

Get it all, ride it for a 100 miles to settle the chassis, then get the machine aligned and don't look back.

I'll likely get spanked for saying it but that is how it is in our house.

KX5062
04-09-2016, 10:56 AM
I agree with PMK. The stock shocks are made to a price point, and are designed for a soft ride, definitely compromising on the handling characterics. For most people, that's fine and they work just fine. The pre-load adjuster are good for many people, but firming up the springs is only masking poor dampening and rebound characterics. However, for many people that's good enough and is a low cost improvement.