PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on tinted winshield

Cincarl
04-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Looking for advice.
I have a few scratches on my Madstad medium tint windshield. Not sure what I did to cause but want to know how to remove or if possible. I see some products out there that claim to work but most are for clear screens.
Also if I do get rid of these how to best prevent in the future, what's the best way to keep it clean without doing any damage? I use a good glass cleaner and paper towel , maybe need to use something like a diaper?

bondo
04-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Lucas slick mist and polishing cloth I do the whole bike with it rubber plastics every thing I'm a body man I've been using it for year available Canadian tire

GatorMan
04-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Looking for advice.
I have a few scratches on my Madstad medium tint windshield. Not sure what I did to cause but want to know how to remove or if possible. I see some products out there that claim to work but most are for clear screens.
Also if I do get rid of these how to best prevent in the future, what's the best way to keep it clean without doing any damage? I use a good glass cleaner and paper towel , maybe need to use something like a diaper?

I too have the Madstad windshield and really like it. I spoke with Blair at Madstad last week and asked what they recommend besides using a microfiber. He suggested rinsing of the obvious and using a towel, and said they use the Plastx product at the shop for everything; said it was a great cleaner and is what they use to polish out any fine scratches. Pauly1 might know more about the product as I think he uses Mequire's products exclusively on his Spyder toys.

Cheers!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-and-polish

Trevor G
04-05-2016, 10:09 PM
I use a good glass cleaner and paper towel , maybe need to use something like a diaper?

Paper towel is very abrasive. Only ever use microfiber cloths and wet them before removing the big bug spots.

Have another one to use with Plastex. Always only ever rub lightly.

To repair (I have used this method on plastic a number of times over the years):

1) Buy a toothpaste that promises whitening, or use one you already have. These are always slightly abrasive, which is useful for polishing.

2) Squeeze a little onto your finger and smear it on a scratched area, preferably on an edge or out of your normal vision, just to test. If it's too dry to smear easily, add a drop of water or wet your finger.

3) Using a slightly damp microfiber cloth rub the toothpaste covered area until the paste disappears - we know water displaces or dissolves toothpaste. You could also try rubbing with a dry cloth to see how well it works - this is the stage where you work out what works best.

4) Using a clean, dry microfiber cloth polish over the damaged area you had previously applied the toothpaste to, then look at it in the light to see how well the polishing worked. Look at it from various angles. Try again in the same spot to see how well each application works.

5) Once you are satisfied with your technique move across all the damaged areas, a bit at a time.

I recently used this method successfully on a badly crazed and yellowed headlight.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Looking for advice.
So you are using a good GLASS cleaner on......PLASTIC........Do I need to say more !!!!!!!!!!....................Also paper towels are made from ............WOOD..........Do I need to say more on this !!!!!!!!!...........Mike :bbq:

Bfromla
04-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Whatever you decide :thumbup: The question would be what made the scratches:dontknow: Did you throw a jacket over shield at a stop? Maybe the zipper...:lecturef_smilie:

Or ride thru a bug swarm? Yes they can scratch:roflblack: Fyi a June bug will hit as hard as a paintball at 60+mph. :gaah: Mayflies will clog a trucks radiator & cause overheat. :barf:Certain neck of woods like around me:p

Nyparrothead
04-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Sadly there is not much you can do unless you use a polishing compound made for plastics... That is one of the reasons I prefer the F4 shields... Check out their steel wool cleaning video....

Mark

Cincarl
04-06-2016, 08:09 PM
So you are using a good GLASS cleaner on......PLASTIC........Do I need to say more !!!!!!!!!!....................Also paper towels are made from ............WOOD..........Do I need to say more on this !!!!!!!!!...........Mike :bbq:
Well Mike, point taken, any suggestions to clean properly?

GatorMan
04-07-2016, 12:40 AM

From the Madstad FAQ page:

Q: What should I use to clean my MADSTAD windshield?
You can use just about any standard windshield cleaner on our cast acrylic shields, but avoid any product that contains alcohol. To remove sticky bugs and tar we've used orange-oil based cleaners like Goo-Gone, Citrus Cleaner or similar, and Meguiar's PlastX which both cleans and polishes out light scratches. You can get that stuff at most auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone (in the car polishes section). After cleaning, if you want the ultimate shine we would recommend All Kleer as the final step (the version made for motorcycles).

ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online.

Phatjac
04-07-2016, 04:49 AM
From the Madstad FAQ page:

Q: What should I use to clean my MADSTAD windshield?

You can use just about any standard windshield cleaner on our cast acrylic shields, but avoid any product that contains alcohol. To remove sticky bugs and tar we've used orange-oil based cleaners like Goo-Gone, Citrus Cleaner or similar, and Meguiar's PlastX which both cleans and polishes out light scratches. You can get that stuff at most auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone (in the car polishes section). After cleaning, if you want the ultimate shine we would recommend All Kleer as the final step (the version made for motorcycles).

ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online.

From the F4 Customs website:How do I clean my new F4 windshield?
F4 Customs windshields solve the daunting problem that is as old as the industry itself: “How do I clean my windshield without scratching or damaging it with the wrong rags and chemicals?” Easy – with F4 Customs windshields, simply use paper towels and standard glass cleaner. That’s right, the infamous X’s (Windex® and Rain-X®) are no longer off limits! To watch a video on care instructions, click here (https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=videos/videos&information_id=10).

GatorMan
04-07-2016, 07:48 AM
From the F4 Customs website:How do I clean my new F4 windshield?

F4 Customs windshields solve the daunting problem that is as old as the industry itself: “How do I clean my windshield without scratching or damaging it with the wrong rags and chemicals?” Easy – with F4 Customs windshields, simply use paper towels and standard glass cleaner. That’s right, the infamous X’s (Windex® and Rain-X®) are no longer off limits! To watch a video on care instructions, click here (https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=videos/videos&information_id=10).

That's great, but I believe the OP was asking about how to clean/remove scratches from a different brand of windshield. There are many posts about brands elsewhere, and to each there are different interests/factors that go into their choice; performance, aesthetics, price, experience, availability, etc. F4 Customs are but one, and they are wonderful people with excellent products. And their product isn't maintained in the same way a Madstad is, but that's ok. Manufacturers as well as buyers have choices. Life is a series of choices, and they all have consequences; some good and some bad.

I have no connection to Madstad other than a product and company interactions I'm happy with. I would like to have the F4 cleaning process, but I chose a different set of features and benefits.

Heres a a blurb that might shed some light on the choice of materials in question:

Q: Why does MADSTAD use Cast Acrylic instead of Polycarbonate plastic?

Cast acrylic is more rigid, more optically clear, has better scratch resistance, better chemical resistance for cleaning, easier to mold, less costly, and does not cloud or become hazy over time like polycarbonate can. We use a minimum 3/16" (4.5 mm) thick cast acrylic to make all of our windshields so they are nice and rigid, super-clear and easy to maintain.
FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet it should be good enough for your motorcycle!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2016, 08:00 AM
I didn't see any OTHER - Bad cleaning products / practices so I didn't answer that part.........but I use lots of running water and a large soft sponge with liquid IVORY SOAP..........Mike :bbq:

Brentc
04-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Looking for advice.

Carl, not sure on repairing the current damage, but once you do get it taken care of I've found that the ammonia in glass cleaner is damaging to the plastics. I use a product called plexus, with a microfiber towel and it works great. If you have road splatter after a long ride, best to rinse with warm water or let a hot towel soak on it for a while then rinse. The bigs will actually act as an abrasive if you just start wiping away....

Good luck with the scratch removal, please post your results. I'm imterested in how you make out.:thumbup: