PDA

View Full Version : 622 trailer tire replacement

pitzerwm
04-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Anyone find a good deal, notice both of mine need replacing.

BTW Tony just came out of the closet.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127308&stc=1

Cruzr Joe
04-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I just went to a local tire shop and got 2 new tires mounted and balanced for $125.00, they are basic trailer tires, you might have to remove them from the trailer because the tire shop is not equipped to jack up that small of a trailer.

Cruzr Joe

metman
04-05-2016, 06:43 PM
I just did the same thing as Joe just before heading out to Spyder on the Bayou. A local independent tire dealer mounted and balanced two Carlisle tires for $90.10. But I just took them the two wheels and tires.

The OEM's had at least 48K on them and plenty of tread left. There was some dry rot starting to show up in the bottoms of the tread grooves, but they had a May of 2009 build date.

Headed to Spyderfest and then New England this July and felt better with new trailer tires.

Mike in KY

cptjam
04-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Bill,
Discount tire carries the exact OEM tire for 35 bucks. Read the name and size. We replaced Ann's for the price of one from the dealer! At that price, get new every 3 or 4 years! Do the bearings and bearing buddies at the same time. Joe

Bfromla
04-05-2016, 11:34 PM
I just did the same thing as Joe just before heading out to Spyder on the Bayou. A local independent tire dealer mounted and balanced two Carlisle tires for $90.10. But I just took them the two wheels and tires.

The OEM's had at least 48K on them and plenty of tread left. There was some dry rot starting to show up in the bottoms of the tread grooves, but they had a May of 2009 build date.

Headed to Spyderfest and then New England this July and felt better with new trailer tires.

Mike in KY
Wth all that you may wann pack the bearing while tires are off:thumbup:

pitzerwm
04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
If one wanted to put car tires on the trailer, what size would they be?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 08:09 PM
If one wanted to put car tires on the trailer, what size would they be?
It may not make much difference on these small trailers, but there are some real serious reasons why you don't want to use car tires on a trailer. Do some Googling. I don't recall what the reasons are, but they made sense to me.

pitzerwm
04-13-2016, 08:32 PM
It may not make much difference on these small trailers, but there are some real serious reasons why you don't want to use car tires on a trailer. Do some Googling. I don't recall what the reasons are, but they made sense to me.

I googled and found nothing that would preclude using car tires on a 622. DOT even says that if you do, reduce the rated load rating by 10%. Most of the argument was about heavy boat&trailers, the sidewall thing was a big question. When you can get a cheap trailer tire(4.80x12) with a rim at Walmart, for $30-$40, I'm thinking that a $40 car tire with a load rating greater than you would ever have in our trailers should be a safer bet.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 08:40 PM
I googled and found nothing that would preclude using car tires on a 622. DOT even says that if you do, reduce the rated load rating by 10%. Most of the argument was about heavy boat&trailers, the sidewall thing was a big question. When you can get a cheap trailer tire(4.80x12) with a rim at Walmart, for $30-$40, I'm thinking that a $40 car tire with a load rating greater than you would ever have in our trailers should be a safer bet.
Buy the cheap trailer from Wally, put the tire on your 622 rim and toss WM rim!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk