PDA

View Full Version : Baja Ron Front Shock Spring Adjusters, upgrade shocks or both?

mcmaverick
04-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm going to add Baja Ron's anti-sway bar and I'm wondering what to do about stock shocks.

NM Wrench
04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I added the shock adjusters and couldn't be happier. And a lot cheaper than new shocks. That with his sway bar it will feel like a different bike!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I added only the pre-load adjusters, and found myself to be happier than a clam in wet sand! :D

trikermutha
04-04-2016, 12:54 PM
I just added Baja Ron's adjusters and waiting for nice weather to test and adjust. I didn't want to spend money on new shocks that I really didn't need

kywinger
04-04-2016, 01:00 PM
BajaRons sway bar and shock adjusters seem to be doing the job, took the lean out of the front end.
Fox shocks seem a bit high when other items work fine.

kngfsh27
04-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Just installed last week. Went out yesterday for a 200+ miles and they work great. I installed the sway bar last month. I am very pleased with both. Installing the adjusters raised the front of my RTL a half inch. They definitely stop the front end dive when applying the brakes hard. Takes the curves a lot better than before making the changes. If you are planning to DIY, set aside around 4 hours to do the install. It is not bad to do. Just follow Ron's instructions, take your time and be safe.
I weigh 180#.

spacetiger
04-04-2016, 07:02 PM
It might help you in posting your weight so other posters can post their weight too and you can get a better idea if their recommendations will help you.

You can imagine if you weight 270 (just making a point, hope you don't) and all the answers are coming from riders that weight 170-200 and they LOVE the preload adjusters... then a rider that weighs 265 says they did not work very well, which input would you value in making your decision?

"...size matters" in this case.

Jerry

robmorg
04-04-2016, 08:49 PM
"...size matters" in this case.

Jerry

Jerry,

Not really. They are continuously adjustable for any weight. I can personally attest to that. If you are big guy you just crank 'em up another turn or two. For me it took 4.5 turns to find the right position where they made the front end not too soft, and the ride not too firm. And there was plenty of adjustment left beyond that. Average size riders will likely crank in only two turns. According to all the past reports on these things, Ron's shock adjusters will make the ride noticeably better for all but the very smallest riders.

BajaRons sway bar and shock adjusters seem to be doing the job, took the lean out of the front end.
Fox shocks seem a bit high when other items work fine. :agree:
I was going to buy a set of Elka's when Ron came out with these adjusters last year. I tried these first and decided I didn't need to upgrade the shocks after all. The sway bar serves a different purpose. Both together REALLY improve the ride and the turn stability.

Chupaca
04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
One or the other but not both. I would go with the adjusters to start...:thumbup:

cptjam
04-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Ann has both and loves them. Two different jobs.

nslowmotion
04-05-2016, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1111817]I just added Baja Ron's adjusters and waiting for nice weather to test and adjust. I didn't want to spend money on new shocks that I really didn't need[/QUOTE

whats your secret to getting the top bolt out. I tried last week but I never could get it out. I have pretty big hands.

DriftersWay
04-05-2016, 04:56 AM
QUOTE=SpongeBob2015;1112110]
I just added Baja Ron's adjusters and waiting for nice weather to test and adjust. I didn't want to spend money on new shocks that I really didn't need[/QUOTE

whats your secret to getting the top bolt out. I tried last week but I never could get it out. I have pretty big hands.

You will need to bend the very end of an open end wrench.

DriftersWay
04-05-2016, 04:59 AM
I'm going to add Baja Ron's anti-sway bar and I'm wondering what to do about stock shocks.

I installed both and am very happy with the handling.
The owner of Winber even commented on how well
my bike handles.
I am 200lbs and have the adjusters set at 4 turns.

Butch

trikermutha
04-05-2016, 08:55 AM
QUOTE=SpongeBob2015;1112110]

You will need to bend the very end of an open end wrench.

It was going to way to much hassle with the tools and trying to remove the upper shock bolt..I just removed the frunk plus I was able to clean out my radiators. :thumbup:

trikermutha
04-05-2016, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1111817]I just added Baja Ron's adjusters and waiting for nice weather to test and adjust. I didn't want to spend money on new shocks that I really didn't need[/QUOTE

I pulled the frunk off. To much BS with the angles and trying to get the upper bolt out..The frunk comes off pretty easy once you do it one time..

Sam Mac
04-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I just did both. Huge improvement. For what it's worth you will save a few $$$ if you order both at the same time.

Duke-Blue
04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I just did both. Huge improvement. For what it's worth you will save a few $$$ if you order both at the same time.

I went with just the sway bar b/c of price and wish I have gotten both at the same time. I will add the adjusters as soon as possible. Penny wise and dollar foolish, as my father would say. Get both.

vstrommer
04-06-2016, 09:01 PM
I got the Bajarons Shock Adjusters installed tonight. Easy to follow instructions and it took me about 90 minutes to install. The spring compressor tool that Ron has optional with the Kit worked great. Using a Offset 15mm box end wrench worked excellent for the top shock bolt without removing the Frunk. I Gained 1/2" of ground clearance with them zeroed out yet. It got dark and starting to mist rain so I have not taken it for a test ride to seat the springs and give them some more adjustment.

:thumbup: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127459&stc=1