PDA

View Full Version : no more blind spot

aka1004
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
just another little something for my spyder. i have them adjusted so i if i dont see a vehicle next to end of grips i am ok to make lane change.

LDFIREWORKS
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
pretty cool mod:agree::2thumbs:

bone crusher
02-25-2009, 12:18 AM
I have the kewlmetal mirror extensions...these things should come standard on the Spyder...a must-have!

aka1004
02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
i have stock handle bar and not planning to get riser and stock mirror position is not bad but i wanted get rid of small blind spot i had so i don't have to turn my head to look. this was a cheap solution. more money for other :cus::D

Aussie spyder
02-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Mirror extensons should be supplied by BRP free of charge. The Spyder is not roadworthy with the short mirror bars.

Greetings Henk

Stuart49
02-25-2009, 06:30 AM
What ever happened to turning your head before making any move?
If I had 17 mirrors I would still turn my head. When I can longer turn my head I will stop riding.

Old time?
Stuart

bjt
02-25-2009, 08:02 AM
If I had 17 mirrors I would still turn my head. When I can longer turn my head I will stop riding.

Old time?
Stuart

+1. I always 'take a peek' before lane changes and often try to glance over either shoulder if driving in traffic even if I'm intending to keep going straight just to be aware of where other vehicles are in relation to me. Seems like a lot of people like to get up close to the Spyder and ride for while in my blindspot before speeding up to get right alongside. I think they are trying to figure what a Spyder is and who makes it. :dontknow:

aka1004
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM

Old time?
Stuart

i have always prefer to use mirrors. whether i am driving car, big rig, or ryding spyder. especially on spyder, because i get boxed in by drivers looking at my spyder so many times. i train myself and adjust mirrors constantly and i do believe its safer way to ryde. easier to monitor what's going on around me and less reaction time if i have maneuver according to any sudden moves others make, especially ryding at 80 mph.

NancysToy
02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with the "head on a swivel" approach. It is the safest way. I do use my mirrors, but always double check. For both of us, the Spyder mirrors are quite good, with just a little hand interference inside. No mirror extensions needed. I like what you did with the convex mirrors, though. Pretty nice location, and they don't obscure part of the standard mirror. This seems more logical. How are they mounted? Are they a bolt-on or stick-on?
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

FANG
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
+1. I always 'take a peek' before lane changes and often try to glance over either shoulder if driving in traffic even if I'm intending to keep going straight just to be aware of where other vehicles are in relation to me. Seems like a lot of people like to get up close to the Spyder and ride for while in my blindspot before speeding up to get right alongside. I think they are trying to figure what a Spyder is and who makes it. :dontknow:

:agree::2thumbs:

aka1004
02-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I agree with the "head on a swivel" approach. It is the safest way. I do use my mirrors, but always double check. For both of us, the Spyder mirrors are quite good, with just a little hand interference inside. No mirror extensions needed. I like what you did with the convex mirrors, though. Pretty nice location, and they don't obscure part of the standard mirror. This seems more logical. How are they mounted? Are they a bolt-on or stick-on?

i had put 8k miles on spyder in very short time(about 2 month) and it just was not natural for me to turn my head on spyder because thats not how i drive any other vehicle. i tried couple of other options before this one but did not work too good. this one has suction cup and i thought i would have to use little adhesive or bolt on but with little moisture it's very solid. i bought at pepboys and was originally designed to be mounted on windshield of cars to monitor kids in the back seat of vehicle. I use them to monitor kids, big and small around me gaga-ing over my spyder.:D

Greg H.
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
+1

I'm fine with the stock set-up, as well. And, I always turn my head to look before changing lanes, and backing up - always.

BajaRon
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Mirror extensons should be supplied by BRP free of charge. The Spyder is not roadworthy with the short mirror bars.

Greetings Henk

Don't blame BRP for this one. They would love to extend the mirror stalks.

There is a standard for motorcycles and you can't exceed a certain stalk length regardless of any safety concerns.

Our all wise government knows best, and they have all your tax dollars to obstruct a free enterprise company like BRP....but that is another story altogether.

BRP began the process to get an exception for the Spyder. But when they realized how long it would take, how expensive it would be and that there was no guarantee they would be successful they gave up.

I've got the KewlMetal extensions and they really do the job, with or without risers.

Director
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
+1

I'm fine with the stock set-up, as well. And, I always turn my head to look before changing lanes, and backing up - always.
:agree:+2. After reading many posts about how awful the mirrors were on the Spyder, I was very pleasantly surprised when I purchased mine and found no issue at all. The mirrors are significantly better than on many sport bikes I have operated in the past. And yes, shoulder checks are a very important part of the curriculum in our motorcycle training program here. Turning your head is a habit that could save your life.:coffee:

Bruce

Roaddog2
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Old time?
Stuart
:agree:

bone crusher
02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Why do you have mirrors on your car then?

Old time?
Stuart

NancysToy
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Why do you have mirrors on your car then?
I turn my head in a car, too, and also in an airplane. Maybe it's an old habit, but it's a safe one. Unfortunately, only motorcycles are open enough to give you an unobstructed view that way, hence mirrors on cages. On motorcycles, turning your head takes more time than you may have available, so the mirrors are a huge help, but turning your head back to look over your shoulder just before you make a move can save your life! Good habit to develop. In the old days, bikes didn't have mirrors, and we had no choice. Other bikes vibrate so much you can't see a thing. Look over your shoulder and live to ride another day.

bjt
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I turn my head in a car, too, and also in an airplane. Maybe it's an old habit, but it's a safe one. Unfortunately, only motorcycles are open enough to give you an unobstructed view that way, hence mirrors on cages. On motorcycles, turning your head takes more time than you may have available, so the mirrors are a huge help, but turning your head back to look over your shoulder just before you make a move can save your life! Good habit to develop. In the old days, bikes didn't have mirrors, and we had no choice. Other bikes vibrate so much you can't see a thing. Look over your shoulder and live to ride another day.

+1 There are still blinds spots that you have to watch out for. When changing lanes in a car, I check the mirrors then glance either to the left or the right (depending on which lane I want to go to) to be sure there isn't a vehicle riding in the blind spot.

Director
02-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Old time?
Stuart

Stuart, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration agrees with you. In a study entitled, "Intersection Negotiation Problems of Older Drivers," the agency reports:

Perhaps most common is the age-related decline in head and neck mobility. Joint flexibility has been estimated to decline by approximately 25 percent in older adults, due to arthritis, calcification of cartilage, and joint deterioration. This restricted range of motion reduces an older driver's ability to effectively scan to the rear and sides of his/her vehicle to observe blind spots, and can also hinder the timely recognition of conflicts during turning and merging maneuvers at intersections (Ostrow, Shaffron, and McPherson, 1992). Reduced neck flexibility also penalizes older pedestrians who must detect potential conflicts without unreasonable delay to accomplish intersection crossings within a protected signal phase.

If you are interested, the full report is at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/olddrive/oldvol1/vol1tablecontent.html#vol1table

Cheers,

Bruce

Greg H.
02-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't care how good your rear view mirrors are, you cannot see everything behind and next to you.