PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding buying a pre-owned Spyder RT

Runcy12
04-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Hello all,

Been lurking and searching the forums for bout a month now, and have not found the information I am looking for, so I thought I would just ask. After 10+ years on 2 wheels, I have made the decision to move to 3 wheels. I would love to purchase a new unit, but a pre-owned is more my budget.

As far as pre-owned goes, are there any years I should stay away from or should be looking at? Are there any common issues I should be on the look out for?

One of my wife's wishes is a heated seat. Is the factory heated seat worthy, or should I be looking at a Corbin? I have seen many good mentions of the Ultimate seat, but does not look like they make a heated option.

I am sure I will have more questions, but these would be a good start. Thank you in advance.

Runcy12

jtoro1
04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Make sure it has a extended warranty because these machines are very complicated

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-03-2016, 08:03 PM
If you are looking at a 998 motor, the 2012's are the best. 2013's are good as long as the heat issues have been taken care of. If your budget is a little bigger, than the 2014's and up have the bigger motor and better MPG. Good luck finding what you want. These are fun machines.

wd8ajj
04-03-2016, 09:13 PM
I would look at a 2014 and up RT. One is that they have a bigger engine and not the heating problems and the seat and handlebars are heated. I love mine.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
04-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I would look at a 2014 and up RT. One is that they have a bigger engine and not the heating problems and the seat and handlebars are heated. I love mine.

I have a 2015 RT-S and I dont have a heated seat.

Motorcycledave
04-03-2016, 09:51 PM
I have the factory type seat heaters
you can install your self for as low as
$75.00 no need to spend big money just
to get a heated seat
you can count on a bunch of help right here
on SpyderLovers
Dave

Hello all,

Been lurking and searching the forums for bout a month now, and have not found the information I am looking for, so I thought I would just ask. After 10+ years on 2 wheels, I have made the decision to move to 3 wheels. I would love to purchase a new unit, but a pre-owned is more my budget.

As far as pre-owned goes, are there any years I should stay away from or should be looking at? Are there any common issues I should be on the look out for?

One of my wife's wishes is a heated seat. Is the factory heated seat worthy, or should I be looking at a Corbin? I have seen many good mentions of the Ultimate seat, but does not look like they make a heated option.

I am sure I will have more questions, but these would be a good start. Thank you in advance.

Runcy12

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Sir I am brutally FRANK so........Since one of your first and probably main concerns is BUDGET ....why are you even mentioning a very EXPENSIVE Corbin seat with HEAT no less ??????...........If money is an issue Spyders are not at the bottom of the price structure........However, if you need a Trike the Spyder is the best way to go........I would suggest looking for a 2014 RT ( manual trans are less but they didn't make as many ) try to find a Basic or " S " model ( you don't need an LTD ). The 14's with the 1330 engine's are far superior to the V-Twin model's and have much less maintenance....( I've owned both )............Good Luck & :welcome:.......Mike :bbq:

pegasus1300
04-03-2016, 10:08 PM
You don't say what your budget is. I had the same problem new taste, used budget. I bought a low mileage 2012 RTL for $15000.Depending on which year and trim level you should be able to fine one somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. There was no warranty left so I couldn't get a BEST warranty from BRP. I bought one from Zurich and I have used it once and it worked as advertised. There is a lot of support here for the 1330/6 (2014 and newer) but the 998 VTwin is a very capable and I have no trouble staying up with my Goldwing friends. The big drawback is lower fuel mileage and more frequent service intervals. I do my own service so that doesn't bother me. These are fun machines no matter which one you choose. I rode 2 wheels for 50 years. So yes there is a transition period but I love to ride my Spyder.

Jim&Teresa
04-03-2016, 10:23 PM
If you are looking at a 998 motor, the 2012's are the best. 2013's are good as long as the heat issues have been taken care of. If your budget is a little bigger, than the 2014's and up have the bigger motor and better MPG. Good luck finding what you want. These are fun machines.

:agree: My first Spyder was a 2012 RT Limited - a very good bike without any issues - that would be a good choice. I know the 2013's were a transition year for the RT.

If your budget allows it, a 2014 RT or newer would be a GREAT choice as that has the 1330 engine and improved overall powertrain. I currently own a 2014 RT Limited with just over 26,000 miles on it. It's a great bike and is better than my 2012 RT Limited. Both bikes for me were trouble free! :firstplace:

Good luck with your decision on a Spyder and look forward to you letting us know what you bought! :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

ARtraveler
04-03-2016, 11:29 PM
All of your questions have been answered very well above. Make sure you test drive and find the one that suits you and your budget the best. :welcome:

Runcy12
04-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Sir I am brutally FRANK so........Since one of your first and probably main concerns is BUDGET ....why are you even mentioning a very EXPENSIVE Corbin seat with HEAT no less ??????...........If money is an issue Spyders are not at the bottom of the price structure........However, if you need a Trike the Spyder is the best way to go........I would suggest looking for a 2014 RT ( manual trans are less but they didn't make as many ) try to find a Basic or " S " model ( you don't need an LTD ). The 14's with the 1330 engine's are far superior to the V-Twin model's and have much less maintenance....( I've owned both )............Good Luck & :welcome:.......Mike :bbq:

Hi sir,

Nothing wrong in being brutally honest. The situation is I could purchase a "New" unit if it came down to it, but I would honestly not like to be strapped to a payment that makes it difficult to enjoy the other things in life. I plan to sell my 08' H/D Deluxe which I have turned into a short mans Street Glide, as I was not blessed with the inseam to comfortable ride an H/D Tour bike. I would like to find a gently used unit, which I could "make my own" like I did with my H/D. I have ridden an H/D trike and hated it. I had the chance to take a friends Spyder for a spin last season and found it to be enjoyable.

I really like the idea of the semi-automatic transmission. Have these been reliable? Thanks to all who have responded

Runcy12

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 07:03 AM
:welcome:
Find yourself a used 2014...
They ARE that much better! :2thumbs:

DrewNJ
04-04-2016, 07:34 AM
IMHO its like any other vehicle purchase. Buy the newest, lowest mileage unit with the options your looking for that fits your budget. Be cautious of the 13's as they had their issues.

Going from a 12' RT to a 14' RT would be a similar move as going from a 13' Street Glide to a 14' Street Glide in the Harley world. Considerable changes, but at a considerable cost difference too. Only you can make that call.
The best advice I can give you is to ride and pick what works best for YOU and not drink the forum kool-aid and buy what OTHERS think you should buy.
Good luck and ride safe!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

opiewhan
04-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Hello all,

Runcy12
I bought my 2011 RT-S with 5,000 miles and now have 16,000 in just over 1 year with NO PROBLEMS.. But if you can afford go with 2014 or 2015.. My wife also has a Spyder now, both our roadsters were found on CRAIGSLIST.. Good luck shopping..

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 07:55 AM
IMHO Going from a 12' RT to a 14' RT would be a similar move as going from a 13' Street Glide to a 14' Street Glide in the Harley world. Considerable changes, but at a considerable cost difference too. Only you can make that call.
The best advice I can give you is to ride and pick what works best for YOU and not drink the forum kool-aid and buy what OTHERS think you should buy.

While I'm not familiar with the model-year changes in Harley's line-up; I can assure you that the 2014 RTs are a Paradigm Shift...
The 1330 engine runs at MUCH lower rpm levels, and gives better fuel mileage, and longer ranges between stops.
The 1200 watt alternator is WAY stronger than the old 650 watt magneto that makes the electricity in the 998s
The reconfigured cooling system keeps all of the heat away from the rider and passenger, and seems to simply do a better job of keeping the "hot parts" cool...
The SE-5's new engagement clutch setup removes the chances of toasting clutch plates due to not shifting at the correct rpm levels...

We all complained about our original RTs, and BRP was clearly listening, when they introduced the 2014 models.

JayBros
04-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Like other posters on this thread I recommend you considerlooking for a 2014 RT, either base or -S model. My '14 RT-S is the first Spyder I've owned and IMO, while the 998 V-twin Spyders are good machines the 1330 triple with six-speed transmission is a quantum leap forward in maintenance and reliability. Yes, there have been some small issues as almost any vehicle manufacturer experiences with a new model year that includes significant changes from prior years but BRP has gotten most of those bugs corrected. There are used, low mileage '14 RTs out there if you're willing to hunt and perhaps travel a bit. Good luck and good hunting!

DrewNJ
04-04-2016, 09:00 AM
While I'm not familiar with the model-year changes in Harley's line-up; I can assure you that the 2014 RTs are a Paradigm Shift...
The 1330 engine runs at MUCH lower rpm levels, and gives better fuel mileage, and longer ranges between stops.
The 1200 watt alternator is WAY stronger than the old 650 watt magneto that makes the electricity in the 998s
The reconfigured cooling system keeps all of the heat away from the rider and passenger, and seems to simply do a better job of keeping the "hot parts" cool...
The SE-5's new engagement clutch setup removes the chances of toasting clutch plates due to not shifting at the correct rpm levels...

We all complained about our original RTs, and BRP was clearly listening, when they introduced the 2014 models.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/be07dbc408886b7e031a3a9d2a7804c0.jpg

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 09:13 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127274&stc=1

den2614
04-04-2016, 09:15 AM
I am the owner (not for long), of a 14 RTL. As much as I hate to admit, my physical condition has deteriated to the point that riding even 3 wheels is not enjoyable any more.
With the $3,000 in extras that the buyer is getting, as well as 5 years remaining on the extended warranty, the buyer is getting a great bike and a great deal at $23,000. If I was starting over, knowing what I know now, I definitely would by a tenderly used 14 RTL, than a 16 RTL. Good luck.

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 09:30 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that your hand is being forced... :shocked:
The best of luck to you, and we'll keep you in our prayers! :pray::pray:

Runcy12
04-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the consensus is for a 2014 and up. Can anyone tell me what kind of tire wear I should expect? Also is anyone using BRP Satellite radio kit?

Please don't flame me for this question, as I know ppl generally have strong feelings one way or another on this topic, but here it goes. Coming from a Harley Davidson with True Dual exhaust, I am used to a bit of growl. While my bike was not obnoxiously loud, other drivers knew I was there. Now I know the Spyder won't have anything close to what I am used to, and I don't expect it to, but I am wondering if there are any aftermarket exhaust available that beef up the sound a bit without sounding tinny?

Again thanks to all for your input. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a big purchase, and all your information is valuable to me.

Runcy12

rwc
04-04-2016, 10:54 AM
I have the BRP satellite radio and it works just fine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the consensus is for a 2014 and up. Can anyone tell me what kind of tire wear I should expect? Also is anyone using BRP Satellite radio kit?

Please don't flame me for this question, as I know ppl generally have strong feelings one way or another on this topic, but here it goes. Coming from a Harley Davidson with True Dual exhaust, I am used to a bit of growl. While my bike was not obnoxiously loud, other drivers knew I was there. Now I know the Spyder won't have anything close to what I am used to, and I don't expect it to, but I am wondering if there are any aftermarket exhaust available that beef up the sound a bit without sounding tinny?

Again thanks to all for your input. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a big purchase, and all your information is valuable to me.

Runcy12
If you want Satellite you can save a bunch with after-market ( probably better also ) ask Bob Denman ( above ) He put one on and is Happy............GROWL......the Spyder is NEVER going to compete with a HD for quality of sound , the HD V-twin is unique and no-one else has it..................However you can get a different sound various different ways.......Two Bros. , is quite loud ....Yoshimuira - is milder .....removing the Catalytic convertor and adding the Baffle insert is the mildest...........I would listen to them all first........Mike :bbq:

trikermutha
04-04-2016, 10:59 AM

Runcy12

I use a satellite radio and plug it into the trunk. Its just SAt receiver and use the existing BRP radio system. works well IMO.

pegasus1300
04-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I have a Sirius Satellite Radio I run thru a Sena SM 10 dongle and then to s
Sens SMH10 in my helmet.Works great

As for growl BRP sells a performance muffler that has more growl then the stock.

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 01:13 PM
XM radio? I bought a Sirus Onyx XM receiver, and hooked it into the onboard system with the MP-3 plug...
I configured the rear 12 volt outlet to be "hot" only when the ignition was on, and plugged it into that port
Easy-Peasey! :thumbup:

murphybrown
04-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Runcy12
I run the Khumo esta rear tire. Now for the "growl". I put on the cat bypass and two bros exhaust. Verrrry nice growl yep plenty loud!!!:b2b::yes:

Runcy12
04-04-2016, 07:19 PM
XM radio? I bought a Sirus Onyx XM receiver, and hooked it into the onboard system with the MP-3 plug...
I configured the rear 12 volt outlet to be "hot" only when the ignition was on, and plugged it into that port
Easy-Peasey! :thumbup:

I currently have an Onyx that I use on the Deluxe. Guess I like the idea of an integrated system.

I have read a few posts about "sway" bars...can anyone tell me more about that?

Bob Denman
04-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I currently have an Onyx that I use on the Deluxe. Guess I like the idea of an integrated system.

Depending on the bike that you buy; they're either a VERY good option, or at least something to seriously consider...
The Pre-2013 bikes had a different suspension, and they would really "heel over" in a hard-pressed turn.
(My 2010 felt as if it was trying to drag a handlebar end cap at times! :yikes:)
In 2013; they changed a whole bunch of the running gear, and improved the front suspension by a pretty decent amount.
I had put BajaRon's Anti-Swaybar, and a set of Elka shocks on my 2010, and it was razor-sharp in the turns. My 2014 is actually about 90% as good as my fully-modded old bike, but is much more compliant.
I would suggest riding the bike for a while, and deciding what YOU think it needs...

And I hate myself for saying this: Ron is a heckuva nice guy, and I really like all of the stuff that he sells for our bikes...

trikermutha
04-05-2016, 09:01 AM

The sway bar on turns helps that feeling the bike is going to roll/lean. Same principle as like on cars

As for satellite its the same thing just you now have the BRP radio. THe only draw back is that you don't see the song name on the display if you just you a receiver type satellite versus the BRP radio.

Runcy12
04-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Depending on the bike that you buy; they're either a VERY good option, or at least something to seriously consider...
The Pre-2013 bikes had a different suspension, and they would really "heel over" in a hard-pressed turn.
(My 2010 felt as if it was trying to drag a handlebar end cap at times! :yikes:)
In 2013; they changed a whole bunch of the running gear, and improved the front suspension by a pretty decent amount.
I had put BajaRon's Anti-Swaybar, and a set of Elka shocks on my 2010, and it was razor-sharp in the turns. My 2014 is actually about 90% as good as my fully-modded old bike, but is much more compliant.
I would suggest riding the bike for a while, and deciding what YOU think it needs...

And I hate myself for saying this: Ron is a heckuva nice guy, and I really like all of the stuff that he sells for our bikes...

Thank you for that feedback!

Bob Denman
04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
I can only offer up what my experiences have been...
Other's might be inclined to tell you that I'm, "about as full of crap, as a Thanksgiving Turkey"; but I'd like to think that I've learned a little bit over the years! :D
Ultimately: it comes down to how you ride your bike, and how you like it to "feel" in the twisties... :thumbup:

JayBros
04-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Two points if I may. Regarding tire wear you can expect to experience the same thing with a Spyder that you do with a two wheeler, namely the mileage you get, whether with a two ply motorcycle tire or a four ply automobile tire, is going to be a direct function of how aggressive you are with the throttle. BRP changed the compound of the rear tire after owner complaints about enough traction and the newer compound brought a deafening chorus of complaints about reduced tread life. In mid 2014 they reverted to the previous, harder compound so a tire with a manufacture date earlier than 2814 is the softer compound. Read the reams of posts on tires and take your pick.

Second, having had the unfortunate (IMO) experience of riding behind Spyders with loud aftermarket exhausts on all the group rides on Spyderfest 2015 while wearing ear plugs and being half deaf, you are welcome to my position in the procession should the opportunity arise.

DrewNJ
04-05-2016, 12:16 PM
I can only offer up what my experiences have been...
Other's might be inclined to tell you that I'm, "about as full of crap, as a Thanksgiving Turkey"; but I'd like to think that I've learned a little bit over the years! :D
Ultimately: it comes down to how you ride your bike, and how you like it to "feel" in the twisties... :thumbup:
Are you guys really going to argue about which RT does better in the twisties....[emoji38] [emoji23] [emoji23]

What you 14'+ owners should be telling the guy is how you have to stand on your head, hop 30' on one foot, while sprinkling fairy dust over your head or whatever it is you have to do to stop the dess errors and get the bike to start to begin with!!!..[emoji6] [emoji12] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Bob Denman
04-05-2016, 12:31 PM
:shocked: I couldn't hop on one foot if you held a gun to my head... :shocked:
But the fairy Dust thing sounds do-able! :D
But I've never seen a DESS error, and my bike ALWAYS starts! :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127338&stc=1

Sarge707
04-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Don't ignore the 998 Engine RT -It has a Nice High reving 5 Speed that I prefer to my F3 with the 6 speed . You should Test drive a 2012 RT and a Newer one and be your own judge.
If you do get a Older RT you should make sure the New Air Ducts are installed and the Stupid Plastic panels which cover the cylinder heads are "Taken Off?" So you minimize heat build up- Be Extra cautious of the 2013 Model because it was built for the New engine BUT got stuck with the old engine?nojoke

Buckeye Bleau
04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Last fall I decided to buy a Spyder. New was more than i wanted to pay, so I found on on EBay in Florida, i am in Ohio. It was a 2013 RTL, with 12,686 miles at an Indian, Polaris, Cadillac dealer, who went over it, installed new tires and the bike still had BEST warranty until late 2017. I used Uship.com to get it up to Ohio.
Yes, it is the V-twin and I love it. Originally the mileage stunk, then I read the message on this site that is for new owners, boom, mileage went up and I could not be happier. Sure the 1330 would be nice but the money I saved made it great for me.
regardless what you get, Ryde on with a smile!

:sour::yes:

Runcy12
04-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Once again thank you all for your input!

I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home. I got stranded with a fuel line problem once with the H/D, and don't care to relive that experience of hopelessness trying to find someone with a trailer to come get me. :opps:

Again I appreciate all the information that has been given.

Runcy12

ARtraveler
04-05-2016, 04:22 PM
No DESS issues here. :yes::yes:

Sarge707
04-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Once again thank you all for your input!

I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home. I got stranded with a fuel line problem once with the H/D, and don't care to relive that experience of hopelessness trying to find someone with a trailer to come get me. :opps:

Again I appreciate all the information that has been given.

Runcy12
Of the 3 Spyders I have owned 09GS-35,000 Miles- 2012 RT 15,000 Miles- 2015 F3-2,000 Miles- I have Never been stuck on the road!nojoke

Remember The New one will depreciate 3 thousand the second you leave the Lot where as a Good deal on a used older RT Has already done most of its depreciation already. I can't stress enough that you should take the time to test drive the 2 Different versions 2 CYL VS 3 CYL at a dealer!

Bob Denman
04-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home.
Honestly; it was a problem in some of the 2014s... But in an open forum; you'll always more complaints that you will praises.
Issues become problems... problems become disasters... and disasters become "the end of all things"! :shocked:
BRP has worked hard to end this one. I'd like to think that they've got a handle on it... :thumbup:
(Excuse me: I'm gonna go see if my bike will start! :yikes:)

DrewNJ
04-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Honestly; it was a problem in some of the 2014s... But in an open forum; you'll always more complaints that you will praises.
Issues become problems... problems become disasters... and disasters become "the end of all things"! :shocked:
BRP has worked hard to end this one. I'd like to think that they've got a handle on it...[emoji106](Excuse me: I'm gonna go see if my bike will start! :yikes:)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/83023eaaff7376d11d2ec637f30373dd.jpg

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji106]

Bob Denman
04-06-2016, 07:27 AM
:shocked: Oh great...
Now; I've got to go to the bathroom.... AGAIN! :banghead: :shocked:

Runcy12
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Once again thanks to everyone for there thoughts and opinions. Now if the god awful weather would warm up, I would love to go test drive a few units!

Ride safe everyone!

Runcy12

Copperman
04-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Once again thanks to everyone for their thoughts and opinions. Now if the god awful weather would warm up, I would love to go test drive a few units!

Ride safe everyone!

Runcy12

Good luck with that. You might have to go a little north (Maximum Powersports) to get in a test ride. Sam, their sales manager, says every Spyder they have is available to test ride as long as you have a MC license.

Runcy12
04-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Good luck with that. You might have to go a little north (Maximum Powersports) to get in a test ride. Sam, their sales manager, says every Spyder they have is available to test ride as long as you have a MC license.

Copperman, have you had any experience with Flatout Motorsports? I am on the far east side and they are fairly close.

Copperman
04-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Copperman, have you had any experience with Flatout Motorsports? I am on the far east side and they are fairly close.

By all means go there and see for yourself. Their attitude about test rides may have changed. A few years ago they told me the only way I'd be able to take a test ride was if I was ready to buy, not just looking/shopping.

I go there three or four times a year just to see what they have on display, just because they're local. I"m on my second Spyder and tried to give them my business both times. We just couldn't agree on a price. As soon as I test ride an F3 Limited, I'll have a decision to make (assuming I like it) and I will, again, give them the opportunity to sell me one.

As far as service, they charge $150.00 and hour... crazy $$$. Although, they have replaced my back tire, on both bikes, and charged me $100.00, each, for labor. I also had to sign a Waiver because they were car tires and I was more than happy to sign it. I ride a little over an hour north to Maximum and pay $80.00 an hour. I know a few guys here in Indpls that go up there.