PDA

View Full Version : Belt alinement

duncan
04-03-2016, 10:46 AM
So I bought myself a damage repairable F3S ( needed a front end and a frame ) after 3 1/2 months wait I got my frame out of BRP:( and slipped it in, The problem I have is that I can't line up the belt the adjustment is all the way forward on the right and all the way back on the left other than a bent swing arm is they anything else that could cause this to happen ?
The other problem I have is when I started it up it ran find, warmed it up great, but after I run it up went a lining the belt the ABS ,VSS and EBD scrolls across the dash with limp home and a flashing MIL light any ideas People.

Darren111
04-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Duncan,
Its Darren from Leeds and I know you have been busy with your F3-S project and I am following your updates on FB. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that SL will give you the support you need to get that sexy looking red F3-S back on the road.:2thumbs:

Chupaca
04-03-2016, 02:34 PM
There are things to look for like the belts for US and Europe are different as well as the sprokets. The swing arm may be bent depending on what caused the damage to the F3. Should be easy to check. You have a new frame so that should not be an issue. If your adjusters are correct and one is all the way in and the other is all the way out to keep the belt lined up it would seem you have a swing arm problem. ..:gaah:

PMK
04-03-2016, 08:52 PM
I am not sure, and have never done it, but there is a strut used to align the engine on the RT and probably the F3. The engine / gearbox must be positioned so that when the two front wheels point dead straight, the rear wheels centerline runs exactly to bisect the front treadwidth.

Once the wheels are aligned, and the belt has some tension, even if not exactly correct but close. Ride the machine forward and roll to a stop. Check the belt alignment. Based on where the belt tracks, alter the length of the engine strut to not only get the belt aligned, but also ensure there is no underlying misalignment between the rear axle and countershaft being parallel.