PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this?

aerialdall
02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
On the center gauge of my instrument panel there appears to be a bubbling of some sort of clear film?? It is inside the glass & does not appear to be accesible. It has been there since I got my Spyder in November & it seems to be getting worse. I've shown pictures of it to my dealer & they have not seen anything like it. They said they would check into it & see what needs to be done. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this & if so what had to be done to fix it.

brutus450
02-24-2009, 08:05 PM
clear plexi comes delivered to manufacturers with clear film on each side to protect from scratches - even when cutting to make the final shape. Looks to me like the assembler on that one forgot to take off the clear film on the inside before they assembled the gauge pod. I would pop out the pod and see if the film is on there and peel it off.

bone crusher
02-24-2009, 08:11 PM
On the center gauge of my instrument panel there appears to be a bubbling of some sort of clear film?? It is inside the glass & does not appear to be accesible. It has been there since I got my Spyder in November & it seems to be getting worse. I've shown pictures of it to my dealer & they have not seen anything like it. They said they would check into it & see what needs to be done. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this & if so what had to be done to fix it.

If it's a 'snail trail', it can be fixed...your cluster comes out pretty easily...it can be unsnapped and the inside can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth...it can then be snapped back together and put back in the 'dash'. There are two clips behind the windshield that need to be pushed (use sharp screwdriver or something of the sort)...the cluster will pop out...from there, you can look at it and probably figure out how to disassemble it...it's not hard...you won't ruin the waterproof seal or damage the cluster itself...it will not reset anything either...the cluster plugs in on what looks like a printer cable end...you can unplug and plug back in without a worry.

I don't know why these bikes tend to have this, but since I've cleaned mine, I haven't had a problem...oh yeah, there is no special coating inside the plastic that you'll remove with the microfiber...

bdspyder
02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
mine is doing that too. Just haven't had time to clean it.

bone crusher
02-26-2009, 12:54 AM
It's an easy fix...worth doing...so much cleaner when you're done...

aubierules
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
clear plexi comes delivered to manufacturers with clear film on each side to protect from scratches - even when cutting to make the final shape. Looks to me like the assembler on that one forgot to take off the clear film on the inside before they assembled the gauge pod. I would pop out the pod and see if the film is on there and peel it off.
:agree:

aerialdall
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info! Not sure I can be trusted with a sharp object of some sort though.. :yikes:[quote=bone crusher;76514] (use sharp screwdriver or something of the sort)...