PDA

View Full Version : Not a 622, but trailer security??

pitzerwm
04-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Someone tried to steal my trailer in Springfield last year. Apparently, year before last someone stole the trailer and bike. I'm talking about the trailer that I tow my bike around. I haven't graduated to riding thousands of miles yet.

I've looked at some Youtube videos about different locks and how easily they can be defeated. Anyone using something that they really like?

I'm thinking of putting a vibration alarm on it also.

Bfromla
04-03-2016, 03:09 AM
Someone tried to steal my trailer in Springfield last year. Apparently, year before last someone stole the trailer and bike. I'm talking about the trailer that I tow my bike around. I haven't graduated to riding thousands of miles yet.

I've looked at some Youtube videos about different locks and how easily they can be defeated. Anyone using something that they really like?

I'm thinking of putting a vibration alarm on it also.
This is distirbing more accurate info please. Know punk thieves are everywhere but I personally have not heard such reports of events at SF. & hope not too:pray:

PrairieSpyder
04-03-2016, 07:53 AM
I carry a chain that I run through the trailer frame and around a tree or such. With the trailer I tow behind my Spyder, I have a coated titanium cable, so it's no cinch to cut. With a big trailer, get a heavy log chain. Also, put a padlock on the hitch.

Bob Denman
04-03-2016, 08:12 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127201&stc=1

But seriously...
Park your vehicle where it can be conspicuously seen by everyone; most of all YOU!
Leave the trailer firmly locked to your tow vehicle, and use the best tamper-resistant locks that you can find!
If you can also throw a chain around another fixed location; do so! Make sure that it's a really STRONG one!
It never hurts to be paranoid... :2thumbs:

Larry rt
04-03-2016, 08:23 AM
If they want it they will take it. I lost a cooler 2 years ago at Lamplighter, was parked next to building under light. Someone else lost some stuff same week.

MikeT
04-03-2016, 08:33 AM
I thought this only happened @Harley events. Never heard of it(doesn't mean it didn't happen) @Wing Dings. This will be our first SF. I can only hope that the multiple host hotels provide parking lot security, both on foot and video camera surveillance, around the clock during the event as a deterrent to this type of activity. I know that these measures are not fool-proof. Most of the people we ride with secure their "parked" trailers with a long, cut resistant cable/chain and lock and secure it to fixed immovable post/pole in the parking lot.

Bob Denman
04-03-2016, 08:33 AM
:agree: But it really helps, if your stuff is tougher to steal, than someone else's... nojoke