PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the F3 (2015) Front shocks?

llyrad
03-30-2016, 02:41 PM
I have gone through all the material on how to adjust the front shocks on a 2015 F3 but it just states take to a dealer. I had no problem adjusting them on my old RTS but can't find any literature or the tool for the F3.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I am just getting the bike ready for the big ride from Northern Canada to Spyderfest and want to stiffen the front shocks before leaving.

Thanks in advance.

Michaelscs
03-30-2016, 03:00 PM
There are 2 "nuts" at the bottom of the spring on your F3 front shock. You can use a spanner wrench like this (see link)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2pcs-Universal-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Shock-Absorber-Preload-Spanner-Wrench-/161988841936?hash=item25b74991d0:g:jcgAAOSwG-1WzvrY&item=161988841936&vxp=mtr

Loosen the bottom nut (turn it counter-clockwise) and grab the spring with your hands or use the spanner wrench on the top nut and turn the spring clockwise to tighten.
It works best if you can get the weight off the springs.
If you don't want to get a spanner wrench you can use a screw driver in the notch of the bottom nut and tap it with a hammer counter-clockwise.

llyrad
03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Appreciate the help, off to the garage to get this done now!!

jcthorne
03-30-2016, 03:55 PM
The adjustment on the bottom of the spring does not stiffen the spring or shock. It only adjusts ride height.

Michaelscs
03-30-2016, 07:15 PM
The adjustment on the bottom of the spring does not stiffen the spring or shock. It only adjusts ride height.

I disagree. While I do agree tightening the spring does increase ride height and does not change compression of the shock, it does increase preload of the spring and it does affect handling. I've snowmobiled for over 20 years and I know that increasing the preload of the spring affects the handing in corners. Increasing the preload stops the outside ski, or in this case the wheel, from diving as easily in corners. It also affects the front to rear balance of the machine. It also causes the shock to rebound faster.

Adjusting compression and rebound of the shock also greatly affects handling, however the stock Fox shocks on the F3 do not have external adjustment. They can be revalved by disassembling the shock and changing the valve stack for compression or rebound. This of course needs to be done by a competent shock builder.

I have increased the preload on my F3 front shocks by 2 turns and it has improved handling in corners!