PDA

View Full Version : Harness

Desert Spyder
03-30-2016, 10:54 AM
I used to have a 2010 RT and now I have the 2015 Rt. I own a 622 trailer. What is the harness I would need to install on the 15, I hear its a 4 pin now, to hook the 5 pin setup on the trailer. BRP is trying to hook me up with a $560 hitch kit. I do not need the hitch. Just the harness that goes from the bike lights to the plug under the left saddle bag (unless they moved it). Thanks

Showie
03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Make your own. Get 1 set of each connection and wire together. Sorry but they usually come in sets of 2 and the other connector will not be used. :chat:

SpyderAnn01
03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Brian, if you search there are several threads that have the info you need. You need to be sure that you get the new grounding harness or you will blow out your trailer wiring harness on the Spyder.

SpyderAnn01
03-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Here is one of the most recent threads and it has part #s

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?85216-HELP-2010-Trailer-to-2014-rts-still&highlight=trailer+wiring

Desert Spyder
03-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks Ann. I did a search on SL re this subject after posting the original message. BRPs parts web page was of no use at all. Apparently I can't do a search for part numbers in the search window. Unbelievable. So as I understand it, based on the replies, I need to replace the harness on the trailer so I don't blow a module and make my own for the bike? That makes no sense.

billybovine
03-30-2016, 11:45 AM
You have a couple options. I assume you kept your hitch but not the harness from the 2010.

You can buy the 3 parts that make up the BRP harness as replacement parts. Extremely stupid expense. Someone posted the numbers a while ago but I cannot find it. For the trailer you would then have to buy the conversion harness for your trailer. This will make it 4 wire like your new harness. Your dealer should be able to look up the part numbers.

Or. You can buy and install the Show Chrome harness. Available from some of the sponsor vendors on this site. That will give you a 5 wire output. Then wire a 5 wire plug of your choosing to this harness and install a matching one on your trailer. This will keep the amber turn signals on your trailer.

rpatsh
03-30-2016, 11:47 AM
This is what I used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301755175015?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cruzr Joe
03-30-2016, 12:00 PM
This is what I used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301755175015?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wont work, he has an RT

Cruzr Joe

billybovine
03-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Wont work, he has an RT

Cruzr Joe

It will work but the link below is for an easier to install one for a RT from the same manufacturer. Also sold by a site vendor sponsor.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/TrailerWiringHarnessSpyderRT.aspx

Marker
03-30-2016, 12:25 PM
I have a 2015 RT Limited. I pull a 2010 RT 622 Trailer.
The dealer used my 2010 RT hitch for my new spyder. The dealer ordered the new 2015 ltrailer light harness for my 2015 RT.
As far as the trailer goes I bought a a 4pin trailer adapter harness for my 2010 RT 622 trailer so that I could tow it with my car Part#219400271.
Then I asked the dealer to cut off the 2015 RT spyders square end off and solder on a flat 4 plug so that I could use it on my car and RT with no adapter.
Hope this helps. My riding friend just cut off the 2010 Rt622 wire plug and soldered on a flat 4 connector with no problems.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126921&stc=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CAN-AM-SPYDER-4-PIN-RT-622-2012-AND-PRIOR-TRAILER-ADAPTER-HARNESS-219400271-/151109236548

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTY1WDEyNDQ=/z/P0wAAOSwPe1T-PJ8/$_57.JPG

Desert Spyder
03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Holy crap! BRP sure created a mess with that "Freedom" trailer. On the other hand you couldn't pull the 622 with anything but the Spyder. Not to mention the oddball 1-7/8 hitch. You guys have been a big help. Thanks.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Not to mention the oddball 1-7/8 hitch.
That is pretty much the standard for motorcycle trailers. Not oddball at all!

Take a look here at what I did a couple of years ago. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1. You can leave off the bits for the high mount lights and the brake light modulator. The isolator I used is probably not available anymore but you can buy an isolator from a trailer supply place, bike accessory online store, or an auto parts store. If you go this route you won't have to make any changes to your trailer and can keep the separate amber turn and red stop lights.

I didn't have problem one with the electrical on my 2013 RT and don't expect to with my 2014 RTS.

Desert Spyder
04-01-2016, 12:31 PM
That is pretty much the standard for motorcycle trailers. Not oddball at all!

Take a look here at what I did a couple of years ago. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1. You can leave off the bits for the high mount lights and the brake light modulator. The isolator I used is probably not available anymore but you can buy an isolator from a trailer supply place, bike accessory online store, or an auto parts store. If you go this route you won't have to make any changes to your trailer and can keep the separate amber turn and red stop lights.

I didn't have problem one with the electrical on my 2013 RT and don't expect to with my 2014 RTS.

Maybe the size is pretty much standard for a MC but the reason BRP is using a 4 pin connector, as stated on their parts webpage, is to make it compatible for a cage which is usually 2 in.

Desert Spyder
04-01-2016, 12:44 PM
According to Shawn Smoak, a MC mechanic and Spyder tech up in Washington and has done many Spyder YT videos, the parts need for the bike include the connection module (710 003 198), Module Harness (710 003 200), and the Hitch Harness (710 004 272). In addition the trailer tongue harness needs to be adapted to 4 pin.

Back in 2013, BRP changed everything because of the Brembo brake system. Using the old 9 pin would interfere with that system.

Remember the old days when we used to splice wires to the brake lights on our cages, to a plug for the trailer...50 ft house trailers at that. Sometimes we didn't use a plug. Now we have a 5 ft trailer being towed behind a 3 wheeled bike and you need to be a rocket scientist....and have good credit limit on your card.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-01-2016, 02:30 PM
According to Shawn Smoak, a MC mechanic and Spyder tech up in Washington and has done many Spyder YT videos, the parts need for the bike include the connection module (710 003 198), Module Harness (710 003 200), and the Hitch Harness (710 004 272). In addition the trailer tongue harness needs to be adapted to 4 pin.

Back in 2013, BRP changed everything because of the Brembo brake system. Using the old 9 pin would interfere with that system.

Remember the old days when we used to splice wires to the brake lights on our cages, to a plug for the trailer...50 ft house trailers at that. Sometimes we didn't use a plug. Now we have a 5 ft trailer being towed behind a 3 wheeled bike and you need to be a rocket scientist....and have good credit limit on your card.
Didn't they drop the 9 pin before 2013 and have a 5 pin or 6 pin connector for one or two years? The 9 pin was really oddball which is why I think they dropped it. Probably too many complaints about not being compatible in the least with other M/C trailers.

I'm skeptical about any tie-in to Brembo since the only connection to the brake system is to the brake light circuit. The only connection that circuit has to the electronics is a 12 volt signal to the ECM when the brake light switch closes and sends 12 volts to the brake lights.

As long as you tie in to the bike circuit with an isolator/brake light module, there is no advantage or benefit to 4 wire over 5 wire. The BRP Y harness is a cleaner tie in to the bike harness but electrically it has no benefit over direct taps into the harness. The harness up to the connector has a separately fused 12 volt supply to supply power for the trailer lights that does not continue to the bike tail/brake lights.

Desert Spyder
04-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Didn't they drop the 9 pin before 2013 and have a 5 pin or 6 pin connector for one or two years? The 9 pin was really oddball which is why I think they dropped it. Probably too many complaints about not being compatible in the least with other M/C trailers.

I'm skeptical about any tie-in to Brembo since the only connection to the brake system is to the brake light circuit. The only connection that circuit has to the electronics is a 12 volt signal to the ECM when the brake light switch closes and sends 12 volts to the brake lights.

As long as you tie in to the bike circuit with an isolator/brake light module, there is no advantage or benefit to 4 wire over 5 wire. The BRP Y harness is a cleaner tie in to the bike harness but electrically it has no benefit over direct taps into the harness. The harness up to the connector has a separately fused 12 volt supply to supply power for the trailer lights that does not continue to the bike tail/brake lights.

I dont know. Shawn did say there was a safety factor. Probably the module. I know nothing about the Brembo. We are just basically running an extension cord to the trailer lights. Now it's a federal case. Geze Louise!

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-02-2016, 12:06 AM
I dont know. Shawn did say there was a safety factor. Probably the module. I know nothing about the Brembo. We are just basically running an extension cord to the trailer lights. Now it's a federal case. Geze Louise!
The only real safety aspect I'm aware of would be two fold. One is by using the isolator for the brake lights you don't run the risk of blowing the bike brake light fuse if there is ever a short in the trailer wiring. The other factor I consider to be of utmost concern and that is the turn signals. The bike T/S are fed directly from the cluster with no fuse in the the line. If you connect the trailer turn signals directly to the bike T/S, and have a short in the trailer wiring, you run the risk of serious damage to the cluster. At least I wouldn't want to bet against it. The cluster is a several hundred dollar item so it's prudent to treat it carefully!

Desert Spyder
04-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Just a little update. The trailer hitch harness has a 9 pin plug on it but only 4 wires coming from it. HUH? There's a SL member in Georgia who's been working with me and reports this does not agree with the BRP wiring diagram. I have the 2011/2012 622. Frustrating. Anyone else out there have hermaphrodite wiring?

Smutt
04-07-2016, 03:29 PM
I bought a Pole Harness Can-am #710003227 that converts the 622 trailer from 9 pin to 4 square that the newer RTs have. It is sometimes called a tongue harness, you can go to Amazon.com and do a search, a picture and info. will come up. I don't know if this is what you are looking for. Jim