PDA

View Full Version : Aspen decision

MnPlainsRider
03-28-2016, 12:40 PM
I have a 2015 Spyder RT and am ordering a Aspen camper this week. I can't decide between the Sentry (325lbs) or the Classic (350lbs). I realize the Spyder has a 400lb rating, but is it for the engine or safety. Also are electric brakes needed. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2016, 01:09 PM
IMHO, I doubt if the engine has anything to do with it......even my 998 had no issues, and 1330 will have NONE....The problem as I see it, is braking with a heavier load, this may cause a problem. Also the driveline components are getting stressed more for sure......A. the electric brakes won't hurt - if set up properly..... B. think about a STIFF Hitch instead of the regular ball & coupler...........good luck.....Mike :bbq:

MnPlainsRider
03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
What would be the advantage of the STIFF hitch?

Fatcycledaddy
03-28-2016, 01:47 PM
I tow a Bunkhouse XL camper behind mine, and yes folly loaded I am pushing the limits on the 400# limit.
I do have electric brakes added to my trailer, and although it added a little to the over all weight, I feel they are well worth it. I adjust the brakes so that I can't fell the trailer drag or slow the Spyder when I brake, and yet I can't feel it pushing either.

I use a Prodigy RF trailer mounted brake controller with a hand held adjustment unit. The controller mounts to the trailer and the hand held unit plugs into the 12 volt outlet on the bike. I have my wife adjust the brakes when we first take off, then the hand held unit is disconnected and put back in the trunk until we make the next adjustment.
This allows me to quickly adjust the brakes throughout the trip for brake ware, load changes, or road conditions. It also has the potentiometer built in so that any hard braking on the Spyder is equaled hard braking on the trailer.

More info here. http://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/prodigy-rf/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB508pViEKmVBf

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126781&stc=1

vstrommer
03-28-2016, 02:43 PM
I have a Time Out Deluxe camper with no brakes a it pulls and stops just fine. I previously pulled it with a Goldwing and the Spyder pulls and stops it by far better hands down ..👍

MnPlainsRider
03-28-2016, 02:50 PM
How much loaded weight do tend to pull vstrommer?

vstrommer
03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127105&stc=1375 or soooo....I guess I never weighed it. :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2016, 03:37 PM
What would be the advantage of the STIFF hitch?
With a Stiff Hitch ( like a Bushtec ) there is no play in the linkage AT ALL ....The Spyder and the Trailer become one.......I have made a few of these using a " tie-rod end " from a Toyt trk.....cost $ 10 or so...I think the Bustec is about $75.00 +....they work EXACTLY the same way.........if you are interested PM and I'll dig out the Part # from the vault..:roflblack:.....when you tow with a stiff hitch you really don't know the trailer is there from the feel.....and it has ANTI-THEFT advantages .......Mike :bbq:

IGETAROUND
03-28-2016, 07:34 PM
By all means get the one you really want and don't worry about the weight difference!!!

The problem with towing is stopping, and as was previously posted by an earlier poster; he tows a timeout deluxe without additional brakes and the spyder stops it better and shorter than the wing did previously.

Get what floats your goat as Bob would say:yes::yes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Al in Kalamazoo

bmwlarry
03-29-2016, 08:53 AM
WE love our Sentry and our friends loved their classic. WE both made cross country trips pulling loaded trailers with our older 998. I do have Electric brakes but never installed the controller!

Fatcycledaddy
03-29-2016, 09:11 AM
By all means get the one you really want and don't worry about the weight difference!!!

The problem with towing is stopping, and as was previously posted by an earlier poster; he tows a timeout deluxe without additional brakes and the spyder stops it better and shorter than the wing did previously.

Get what floats your goat as Bob would say:yes::yes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Al in Kalamazoo

Just to make sure there was no misunderstanding, I was not saying you MUST have electric brakes, just explaining what I have.
My trailer with the electric brakes was from towing behind a Yamaha Venture Royale. The brakes were added after riding in the rain for several hours, all the traffic coming to an abrupt stop, me finding that oil and antifreeze was all over the road in that spot, and when I tried to stop the weight of trailer continued to push me on the slick mess until I struck the car in front of me.
No damage to me, small amount of damage to the bike and car, but a real eyeopener on having that weight behind you pushing.:yikes:

I can honestly say that I think I would have been able to stop with the Spyder, but at the same time I don't want to find out. I added the brakes over that winter after the accident and they worked great for the next few years with the Yamaha. Now with the Spyder, they are there so I use them.

The Spyder tows the trailer amazingly well, and I was surprised at the little drop in gas mileage compared to the Yamaha when towing.

easysuper
04-02-2016, 11:11 AM
We bought a Aspen knock-off when we bought our first 998 RT and had no problem pulling or stopping enen riding double. We now both ride 1330 and I could never tell the diffeence either way, I have kept the standard ball hitch on ours because it makes it easer to exchange pull vehicles as we sometimes us my wifes pathfinder to go campng, we also have the add-a-room for longer stay in place camping. My wife pulls a dog trailer and I pull the camper. We are planing a 3 week ride back to Wisconsin this summer and we like the option of camping or hotels when we want. We always get several people stoping and asking about our setup when we are camping. We love ours and you will enjoy yours.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127083&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127084&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127085&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127086&stc=1

3-togo
04-02-2016, 11:47 AM
I have a 2015 Spyder RT and am ordering a Aspen camper this week. I can't decide between the Sentry (325lbs) or the Classic (350lbs). I realize the Spyder has a 400lb rating, but is it for the engine or safety. Also are electric brakes needed. Any input is greatly appreciated.

If you are still looking, I would suggest considering the Lees-ure lite made in Canada. I've owned several tent campers. The Lees-ure lite campers is very easy to set up and take down that I've encountered. I believe the bed is 54 in by 80. Have not slept on their mattress but we usually add a topper. Believe unloaded wt. is 265 PDs. However, check the specs. More money than the Aspen but the exchange rate is better now with Canada. Enjoy your purchase.
Pete