PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance?

PrairieSpyder
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
My current situation: my Spyder broke down 250 miles from home. It's at a Spyder dealer and they don't yet have a prognosis as to how long it will take to fix. I had to rent a car to get home and back there when the work is done. Insurance and roadside assistance covers alternate transportation when there's a collision, but not for break-downs. So the rental is going to be out-of-pocket.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing for road trips in which you have a break-down of your own vehicle? I've googled trip insurance and most of the sites feature the kind for things like cruises, tours, etc., where the trip may have to be cancelled or interrupted.

I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge or experience and can recommend a company to go to for future Spyder tours I have planned. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-26-2016, 11:25 AM
AAA might have something...
Otherwise; I'd look into the Good Sam Club, or some of the other RVing clubs... :thumbup:

justcalldon
03-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Travel insurance I think covers break downs and rental cars. It will pay for hotels too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murphybrown
03-26-2016, 03:19 PM
My current situation: my Spyder broke down 250 miles from home. It's at a Spyder dealer and they don't yet have a prognosis as to how long it will take to fix. I had to rent a car to get home and back there when the work is done. Insurance and roadside assistance covers alternate transportation when there's a collision, but not for break-downs. So the rental is going to be out-of-pocket.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing for road trips in which you have a break-down of your own vehicle? I've googled trip insurance and most of the sites feature the kind for things like cruises, tours, etc., where the trip may have to be cancelled or interrupted.

I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge or experience and can recommend a company to go to for future Spyder tours I have planned. :dontknow:

their top RV use to have up to 1500 for out of pocket if your ride is out for any reason

jcthorne
03-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Many auto clubs offer trip interruption coverage as part of the roadside assistance policies. I have one through AARP that does.

MEP
03-26-2016, 04:23 PM
I also have the AARP Roadside Assistance plan, specifically the Premium plan. I've never had to use the 'trip interruption' benefit but here's what it says about it...

TRIP INTERRUPTION GUARANTEE

If the vehicle you're traveling in is disabled as a result of an accident 100 miles or more from home, we'll reimburse you for certain travel and lodging expenses. Premier Plan benefits cover up to $750 (up to $500 for CA members) per incident for eligible expenses incurred within 48 hours following an accident or mechanical failure; up to $1,500 ($1,000 for CA members) maximum per membership year. Trip Guarantee is not available to residents of TX.

wyliec
03-26-2016, 04:38 PM
their top RV use to have up to 1500 for out of pocket if your ride is out for any reason

It changed a little bit. The top of the line Premier alone does not cover RV and motorcycle. That is an additional $35/year, and the card will say RV, like it used to say without the additional $35 charge. Someone had purchased the Premier card like he had for years. Then, his RV broke down last year, and because he didn't notice the $35 rider (in the pile of advertisement from AAA for renewal), he was out of pocket some $$$$$. I heard him bitching up a storm, and that's when I found out about the $35 rider.

https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/membership/compare

So, I have Premier + $35. That is for Western NY; you'd have to check in your own area.

gkamer
03-26-2016, 07:26 PM
​Depending on the cost of the premiums, I would have to wonder if something like that would be worth the money.

PrairieSpyder
03-26-2016, 09:32 PM
​Depending on the cost of the premiums, I would have to wonder if something like that would be worth the money.

I think so. Some have suggested Good Sam or AAA, etc. I was thinking of the kind of trip insurance you buy for each trip, not an annual cost.

I thought maybe there's a travel agent on SL that might have some insights.

Gray Ghost
03-26-2016, 10:00 PM
We have Coach-Net for our RV, it covers our other vehicles as well. While their trip interruption pays out up to $2000 it mentions accident and RV. If anyone is looking for a good roadside assistance plan you could ask them for details on how this applies to other vehicles.

Bob Denman
03-27-2016, 07:20 AM
I thought maybe there's a travel agent on SL that might have some insights.
How about Ivorspyder? He's put together some trips; is he a Travel Agent? :dontknow: