PDA

View Full Version : FOBO accuracy

SpyderSteveFL
03-25-2016, 03:11 PM
So I didn't want to derail the FOBO spot on thread so I started this one. I also thought the FOBO was pretty darn accurate and I don't know what happened but the FOBO seems off by 3 psi now. I don't know what is off, FOBO or the gauge but in earlier tests I thought this gauge was very accurate, now I don't know which is off. I'll need to get a second gauge to test against. But as you can see in picture, gauge is spot on 20 (measured front right) and FOBO shows 23.4. That's a problem when my hi/low alarm is set to 3 psi. Sure I can remove some air to have FOBO show 20 psi but I have to be sure it is right and not gauge. It's not good if I can't trust an expensive analog gauge.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126524&stc=1

finless
03-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Try swapping a sensor and see if you get the same results.... You do not have to unbind it first either... In fact don't do that.

If you do, my bet your gauge is not right.

I had 4 gauges all of different price and "so called" quality. They all read different!
Only one gauge (an older one I had for years) matched the FOBO.

Confucius says - "man with too many gauges never knows the real pressure". :)

Bob

KJWEB
03-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Confucius says - "man with too many gauges never knows the real pressure". :)
Bob

Confucius is right! My pencil tire pressure gauge and the FOBO are very close in measurements.

robmorg
03-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Like you say, it's hard to tell without bringing a third reliable guage into the mix. But my inclination would be to trust the FOBO - especially if the batteries are reading full charge as your's are. Even the slightest bit of air escaping the analog guage, because it is not making a perfect seal around the Schrader valve, can make a difference in the reading.

finless
03-25-2016, 03:26 PM
FYI a comment on gauges...

Because we run much lower pressures than a car or most anything, I believe most these mechanical gauges are more accurate at pressures above 32 and below 90 (like 10 speed bicycles).

So my opinion only here but based on experience my mechanicals are not very accurate reading 19 PSI.

Bob

SpyderSteveFL
03-25-2016, 03:38 PM
I guess what bothers me the most is I remember this gauge and FOBO to be within 1 psi. So something changed and went off, just not sure if its the FOBO or gauge. My son has a cheap digital gauge like I used to, I'll have to try his and see what happens.