PDA

View Full Version : Need to know what to add to used 2011 RT Limited I'm buying

lilluke
03-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi, everyone.

After 27 years 2-wheeling, I'm making the switch in April to 3 wheels. I'm getting a used (3600 miles) 2011 RT SE5 Limited Spyder. I've read the Do's and Don'ts several times and been spending days perusing the forums and threads. However, I like things succinct and would like either advice or encouragement on what I need to add to this Spyder.

I have limited funds for the extras so any help on what is a must first and what can be added later, is appreciated.

I live in the mountains in CO, love to take curves fast, take long trips to either coast, live on a dirt road, and don't take passengers (well, unless bugs hitch a ride). We get a lot of wind out here, too. So, to get to the flatlands in either direction, I have curves and sometimes wind.

From what I've read, I would do well to get:

missing belt cover
sway bar
laser alignment (is that a service, or is that service and buying parts?)
the front thing that goes on the bottom (I didn't write it down)
check that all the factory stuff BRP added for safety, whatever is installed (does that include BUDS, whatever that is?)

This bike has an extended warranty to August 2016. since I don't have the Spyder yet, I haven't seen the warranty.

This Spyder has had two owners. The first owner was tall and found it didn't fit his legs. The second owner is a woman who rode it up and down the mountain and on the interstate on 120 mile trips a few times.

The Spyder has Corbin seat and driver backrest, highway pegs, Garmin GPS, Kuryaken grips, all the luggage, no CB, one missing antenna, frunk seal is coming off, pegs not floorboards for the driver.

It's really in great shape and rides well. Of course, I rode it before I read the Do's and Don'ts, but I liked it. I must, because I'm selling my Yamaha Stratoliner S. I also thought my husband might like to try it on long rides, but only if he's really, really nice to me.

Of course I want more lights. I don't need a drink holder because I use a pak for water. I have a sheepskin that has done well, even on the stock Yamaha seat.

So, if I am going in the right direction, your yes nods will encourage me and any other ideas you care to share are totally welcome.

Thanks so much.

PrairieSpyder
03-24-2016, 02:47 PM
:welcome:

My list of top farkles would be:

Baja Ron's anti-sway bar
laser alignment
bump-skid (the fourth item you listed)

The sway bar and alignment will really help you in the twisties and in cross-wind situations. Of course, make sure it's had all the updates it should have.

lilluke
03-24-2016, 03:01 PM

Baja Ron's anti-sway bar
laser alignment

The sway bar and alignment will really help you in the twisties and in cross-wind situations. Of course, make sure it's had all the updates it should have.

Thank you. Now I know I'm on the right track so to speak. (Susan)

OverHillAndDale
03-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Given that you live on a dirt road, I'd put the bump-skid and the missing belt guard near the top of your list.

The laser alignment is a service, no parts. My own opinion - if your bike is out of alignment it is the best type of alignment, but if your bike seems to track straight and the tires are wearing evenly I wouldn't spend the $ (there are people on this forum who STRONGLY disagree with that statement!).

With a Corbin seat and backrest your butt and back will be much happier than with the stock seat, particularly since you've got the sheepskin.

Spyderpops, Custom Dynamics and TricLED all make quality lighting products.

ARtraveler
03-24-2016, 06:16 PM
I recommend putting about 1000 miles on your :spyder2: before adding many farkles. That will give you a chance to figure out what your particular RT needs.

If you must though:

:ani29:: Lights--the LED lighted bumpskid is good for the front end
:ani29:: Custom Dynamics trunk light bar is also very good.

Enjoy your journey. :yes:

BajaRon
03-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Given that you live on a dirt road, I'd put the bump-skid and the missing belt guard near the top of your list.

The laser alignment is a service, no parts. My own opinion - if your bike is out of alignment it is the best type of alignment, but if your bike seems to track straight and the tires are wearing evenly I wouldn't spend the $ (there are people on this forum who STRONGLY disagree with that statement!).

With a Corbin seat and backrest your butt and back will be much happier than with the stock seat, particularly since you've got the sheepskin.

Spyderpops, Custom Dynamics and TricLED all make quality lighting products.

The only reason I would disagree with the highlighted part of your statement is that MOST laser alignment services will not charge you if your Spyder is within spec. So if you don't need the alignment, you don't pay. If you do need the alignment, then it's worth the money.

Though not common. It is possible to have your Spyder track straight and also have even tire wear and still be out. The trouble with the 'Wait And See' approach is that by the time you notice uneven tire wear. It's pretty much too late for that set of tires. Replacing the front tires will cost you more than the alignment would have, and you STILL need the alignment!

Just my $0.02 and worth just a bit less than it cost you! :ohyea:

cptjam
03-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Miles will tell you what it needs, and time. Like Ron said, bring it to have a laser alignment. If in spec, it is free. Bring it to me at Spyderfest; I'll check it. You'll be able to see for yourself. Joe

jerpinoy
03-25-2016, 01:39 AM
Ride first and after you get use to it then decide what you want to do. good luck and:welcome:

Bfromla
03-25-2016, 02:00 AM

Baja Ron's anti-sway bar
laser alignment

:congrats::agree: & the belt guard, the alignment could be no fee if in spec but your front tires may suffer before you find out. You got time come down to spyderfest :yes: :bbq: Well worth the trip & the #1 dealer PITTBULL can get your buds system up to date walk you through what else you may need to look at. Some farkles already added so some may have been changed or removed.? Not to mention you can see first hand other farkles installed & see how the chat with owners how they like it. :chat::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
03-25-2016, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the Party!! :yes::ohyea::yes: :2thumbs:
The others have already mentioned putting some miles on it, and letting the bike tell you what it's going to need...
So I'll just say that :agree:

robmorg
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Congratulations on your new Spyder. :thumbup:

I also agree with the suggestions some have made to add accessories as you go. You are already buying a well accessorized bike. You'll soon figure out what you need or or want to make it uniquely yours. The one exception to that may be the beefier swaybar, especially if you enjoy taking the curves a bit aggressively, as you said.

I also have an RT limited. As for lights, I've added the Custom Dynamics high brake light on the trunk lid , and the TricLED daytime running lights on the upper A-frames for additional safety. If you'd like to see what else I've added, along the way, click the link in my signature below.

In regard to the BRP safety updates that you mentioned, any good Spyder dealer, will be able to check your serial number against the records at BRP to ensure that they have been done. if you know the serial number, you can also accomplish that with a call to BRP customer service.

FYI, "BUDS" is an acronym for the "BRP Utility and Diagnostics Software" that BRP dealers use to interface with the computerized systems on BRP products in order to perform diagnostic and reprogramming functions.

Michael82009
03-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Make a list then decide your priority

Hi, everyone.

After 27 years 2-wheeling, I'm making the switch in April to 3 wheels. I'm getting a used (3600 miles) 2011 RT SE5 Limited Spyder. I've read the Do's and Don'ts several times and been spending days perusing the forums and threads. However, I like things succinct and would like either advice or encouragement on what I need to add to this Spyder.

I have limited funds for the extras so any help on what is a must first and what can be added later, is appreciated.

I live in the mountains in CO, love to take curves fast, take long trips to either coast, live on a dirt road, and don't take passengers (well, unless bugs hitch a ride). We get a lot of wind out here, too. So, to get to the flatlands in either direction, I have curves and sometimes wind.

From what I've read, I would do well to get:

missing belt cover
sway bar
laser alignment (is that a service, or is that service and buying parts?)
the front thing that goes on the bottom (I didn't write it down)
check that all the factory stuff BRP added for safety, whatever is installed (does that include BUDS, whatever that is?)

This bike has an extended warranty to August 2016. since I don't have the Spyder yet, I haven't seen the warranty.

This Spyder has had two owners. The first owner was tall and found it didn't fit his legs. The second owner is a woman who rode it up and down the mountain and on the interstate on 120 mile trips a few times.

The Spyder has Corbin seat and driver backrest, highway pegs, Garmin GPS, Kuryaken grips, all the luggage, no CB, one missing antenna, frunk seal is coming off, pegs not floorboards for the driver.

It's really in great shape and rides well. Of course, I rode it before I read the Do's and Don'ts, but I liked it. I must, because I'm selling my Yamaha Stratoliner S. I also thought my husband might like to try it on long rides, but only if he's really, really nice to me.

Of course I want more lights. I don't need a drink holder because I use a pak for water. I have a sheepskin that has done well, even on the stock Yamaha seat.

So, if I am going in the right direction, your yes nods will encourage me and any other ideas you care to share are totally welcome.

Thanks so much.

ARtraveler
03-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Miles will tell you what it needs, and time. Like Ron said, bring it to have a laser alignment. If in spec, it is free. Bring it to me at Spyderfest; I'll check it. You'll be able to see for yourself. Joe

And I will attest that Squared Away knows what they are doing. They did both my :spyder2::ani29: when here in AK. Both needed it, one was one of the worst they ever did. Both track now like they are new machines and run on rails. Linda's first ride after the alignment, and she did a "Wow, this drives better than I have ever felt."

I was not a believer in laser alignment, but I changed my mind quickly. PS. the worst aligned :ani29: had just come from the dealer and had the famous 2 x 4 alignment.