PDA

View Full Version : Towing storage question

Indiana Ken
03-22-2016, 10:36 AM
I have a open trailer that I am planning on using to tow my Spyder RT, then park it and go riding.

Biking thru nice areas (maybe a week or two), towing across empty miles.

My question is to those who may travel like this - if I leave my vehicle and trailer, have you found any places generally safe to park the vehicle.

I think I would be paying for short term storage, so any storage shed park that has a fence, or KOA camp grounds etc.

fjray
03-22-2016, 10:43 AM
You might let folks know where you need the storage. When I know folks are going to be in my area I offer to let them store their trailer on my property. I've got a couple acres in the sticks with little or no security problems so there is no problem with vandals. If there is I have a backhoe.;)

Chupaca
03-22-2016, 10:47 AM
There are no end to mini storages throughout the country. Depending on where you are going you should be able to find one and many camp grounds have areas for trailers....:thumbup:

asp125
03-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Many private campgrounds and RV parks have a short term storage area to park trailers. They make convenient "base camps" from which you can ride locally before heading to another area.

Traveling to BC (Canada) last year it was prohibitively expensive to spend $300 one way for a ferry crossing with our 35ft toy hauler, so we left it at an RV park on the mainland and traveled via Spyder to Vancouver Island for a week.

Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode in to visit family.

Indiana Ken
03-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Many private campgrounds and RV parks have a short term storage area to park trailers. They make convenient "base camps" from which you can ride locally before heading to another area.

Traveling to BC (Canada) last year it was prohibitively expensive to spend $300 one way for a ferry crossing with our 35ft toy hauler, so we left it at an RV park on the mainland and traveled via Spyder to Vancouver Island for a week.

Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode into visit family.
My son lives in Centerville, VA. Comming from Indiana, I always thought the drive down from PA, thru Leesburg would be a nice bike ride.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

WA5VHU
03-22-2016, 09:51 PM
...Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode into visit family.

You missed a great campground very close to DC at https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

We stayed there a few months when working as a contractor in the area.

Lucky
03-23-2016, 04:50 PM
I've done this twice with my Sprinter and enclosed trailer. I looked for a secured (fenced) storage facility. A little Google work for my target cities found me some options. A few phone calls and I had them.

pegasus1300
03-23-2016, 05:02 PM
When my wife travels with me we trailer to where we are going to ride. So far the motels we have stayed at have been willing to let us park in their lot and kind of keep an eye on the trailer/tow vehicle.