PDA

View Full Version : RS-S seat question

griffontamer
03-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

The stock seat pan on my 2010 RS-S is broken (bought it that way) and the skin is ripped so... I figure it's time to get a seat.

My question is, if a used Corbin and a new BRP Comfort seat are about the same price, which one should I get? What are the pros and cons of either?

I do NOT have the luxury of test-trying them first (unless someone in Western WA has them and is willing to let me try them) so any recommendations are welcome. The current stock seat feel fine for 1-2 hour rides, if that makes any difference.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Truthfully, I must have the most flexible *ss in Spyderdom.......because I have liked every seat on every Spyder I have owned (3).......But I did like the OEM material on my 2011 RSS the best.......jmho ....Mike :bbq:

DrewNJ
03-21-2016, 03:35 PM
I have owned, and hated both of those seats.
Nobody is going to be able to tell you which one is going to work better for you.
The BRP Comfort seat is the most similar to the stock seat compared to the Corbin. The Corbin seat moves you forward a few inches too.
Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Graptor
03-21-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm very happy with the comfort seat on my 2015 RS. I have a Corbin seat on my Victory Hammer. The Corbin changes my seat position on the Hammer and it feels great. The only thing I would like to bring up is the quality of the fix of the Corbin. It was terrible on the Hammer. I had to take a file to a $1000 seat to make the bolts fit. This was supposedly designed with Victory as well. I really have to question the workmanship of Corbin, so be cautious.

Crisis
03-21-2016, 04:36 PM
The Corbin will move you forward approx. 2 inches. I go used to it. The Corbin is not waterproof, you'll need a rain cover. Cool Ass Seat Cover works great. http://www.genuinecoolass.com/ Also, be careful of used Corbin seats, if they are very shinny they are very slippery. Good luck!

griffontamer
03-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks to all for the input. Sounds like I'll likely go with the BRP seat. If anyone has a stock RS-S or BRP comfort seat they want to get rid of, let me know. Otherwise I'll get one of the seats on feebay.

IGETAROUND
03-21-2016, 04:44 PM
You will be eternally comfortable with a Russell Day Long especially if you are OK for two hours on the stock seat. :thumbup::clap::yes:

​Al

PistonBlown
03-21-2016, 05:07 PM
You don't have an option for the standard seat but that's my vote.

It the best suited for moving around on in corners because of it's shape and that's the sort or riding I like to do.

I've also ridden repeated 18 hours a days with it and no issues.

I have standard pegs and bars on mine, I suspect its when different pegs/risers are added to an RS then that's when people start finding the stock seat uncomfortable.

Chupaca
03-21-2016, 05:15 PM
In all honesty I only kow the oem and the comfort. We need a saddle store with all the seats where can try them all. Would have to be independent wealth to buy them all....:roflblack:

latony007
03-21-2016, 06:21 PM
i did not like the corbin i had on my RS, too hard and way to slippery. The best after market seat maker in my opinion is mustang. I LOVED the mustang seat i had on my last cruiser. I have not tried one for the spyder they just started making them but i am sure they use the same extra soft and cushy design as the rest of them.

robertl
03-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Corbin, Mustang, and Ultimate are always at Bike Week but that is a year away.

OEM - I was hurting after 20 minutes, but I have little to no padding of my own.
Corbin - flat and wider, definitely more comfortable, but the wide part made it difficult for my wife to reach the ground if driving. Passenger also tends to slide forward. Had option for driver and passenger backrests. Ultimate and Mustang would also have those options.
BRP comfort - is exactly as it describes, much more comfortable than the oem. I believe it does sit you back a little but that might be because you don't slide towards the front as with the oem. I am tall so this worked out well. I also do not notice nearly as many vibrations from the drive train.
I paid just over 400 from dealer. The dust on it was free.

Seats are personal preference so people will have completely different reviews of the same seat.

My suggestion would be to find some to sit on. Local dealer had one with a Corbin so it was a pretty quick decision once the wife sat on one. Check in your area as well as any local spyder meetups.

DrewNJ
03-21-2016, 06:32 PM
IMHO the best way is to call motorcycledave and talk to him about having him do a custom seat. You'll get WAY more bang for buck than any off the shelf aftermarket seat.
He's also a nice guy and a good guy to talk to!

Crisis
03-21-2016, 08:09 PM
IMHO the best way is to call motorcycledave and talk to him about having him do a custom seat. You'll get WAY more bang for buck than any off the shelf aftermarket seat.
He's also a nice guy and a good guy to talk to!

:agree: