PDA

View Full Version : Dead Spyder

jthornton
03-21-2016, 08:27 AM
My Spyder died on the I-310 bridge yesterday... here are all the symptoms I can remember. First sign of trouble I put it in reverse backed up a bit then it didn't go back into gear, no clunk nothing... then I gave it a bit of gas and got a clunk and it was in gear. I rode the rest of the day with no issues. Sunday morning I came to a stop light and the clutch didn't disengage fully and it was pulling so I put it in neutral and a bit of smoke came out the right side. The oil can came on so I stopped a few hundred yards later and added a bit of oil and checked it was full. Started up the bridge and the oil can came back on and so did limp mode. I had to keep going as the bridge was under destruction and no place to pull off. I finally limped to the other side and was not sounding good by the time I stopped. While waiting for the rescue team to arrive we tried to push it back some to give them a place to pull off in front but it was very hard to push and it was in neutral and the parking brake was off and I checked it to be sure.

Edit: I forgot one important detail, the oil tank was full to the top when I checked after crossing the bridge.

JT

Bob Denman
03-21-2016, 08:32 AM
:shocked: Since it wasn't, "sounding good"; this isn't just an electrical sensor thing going on... :shocked:
I'm just guessing right now; but I'd take a look at the oil pump.
That would obviously impact the engine and transmission...
Please let us know what you find, and Good Luck! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126229&stc=1

Tango
03-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Not what I expected to read first thing in the morning. :gaah: No oil pressure? Pump? Glad you weren't injured being on an interstate. Hope you have a good dealer to diagnose the problem. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Tango
03-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Bob you beat me to it. We must have been linked by mental telepathy. :roflblack::roflblack: Tom :spyder:

Bob Denman
03-21-2016, 08:38 AM
:shocked: Tom, Were that the case; I'd feel really bad for what you have to suffer through... :shocked:

JT... Any other indications as to what might have happened?

jthornton
03-21-2016, 08:46 AM
:shocked: Tom, Were that the case; I'd feel really bad for what you have to suffer through... :shocked:

JT... Any other indications as to what might have happened?

At this point I suspect a clog or something restricting the suction of the oil pump, or the oil pump itself failed. See the edit above about the oil tank being full to the top.

I purchased the RT on 2-21-13 so I suspect the warranty is gone and I didn't get the extended warranty so this one is up to me to fix. I do have a good dealer about 75 miles away and an untested dealer here in town.

JT

IGETAROUND
03-21-2016, 09:08 AM
OMG, JT I'm feeling your pain, hope this turns out to be something minor; keep us posted as you can.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Al

Chupaca
03-21-2016, 09:18 AM
From the last footnote I would say that the return from the oil tank is blocked for some reason. The oil light indicating an oil pressure issue from lack of oil which is now all in the tank and not flowing back to the engine. Have you cleaned the filter screen in the tank..?? I would start there pump seems to be pumping or the tank would be low. Smoke may be from the overflow on the oil tank....

jthornton
03-21-2016, 09:28 AM
From the last footnote I would say that the return from the oil tank is blocked for some reason. The oil light indicating an oil pressure issue from lack of oil which is now all in the tank and not flowing back to the engine. Have you cleaned the filter screen in the tank..?? I would start there pump seems to be pumping or the tank would be low. Smoke may be from the overflow on the oil tank....

That sounds logical to me. I assumed the oil pump sucked from the tank by the pressure pump and a scavenging pump emptied the crankcase. Just doing a quick look at the service manual I see the scavenging pump and oil pump in the motor as well as the tank screen. The Spyder is still down on the Bayou, I'll make the 1160 mile round robin road trip tomorrow to retrieve the sick Spyder.

Chupaca
03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
First motor I have had with the outside oil tank so not that familiar with it but from the oil measuring system I would say a good part of it is gravity. The screen is very fine mesh . When you get to her next re check the level and if it is down you can confirm...long drive be safe

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Lew L
03-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Good luck and save traveling. Hope this is an easy fix and no permanant damage.

Kaos

Ex-Rocket
03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
JT, If you need any help I'm free and can get you if needed. Just let me know.

Frank G
03-21-2016, 10:36 AM
My thought process thinks that a clutch plate disintegrated, plugged the oil system which caused oil starvation and more than likely messed up the motor bearings and other components.

Wish you the best of luck, I'm in the same boat you are, without warrentee, just crossed fingers.

By the way, I continuously see salvaged motors on e-bay, might be the cheapest way out.

billybovine
03-21-2016, 11:08 AM
I assume you have a RT, 998 engine, SE5 model. Please correct me if any details are not correct.

When you say the oil tank was full to the top. Do you mean to the full mark on the dipstick or overfull to the top of the tank?

Low engine oil pressure can be caused by a blocked oil filter or screen. Leak in the suction line, sucking air. A large internal oil leak. The composite drive gears to the oil pump failed. Rare but has happened. You have already ruled out low oil level.

Smoke on the right side may point to an external oil leak but it can't be very big. I find that symptom curious.

Also I find curious is the shifting and clutch symptoms. The HCM does use engine oil to shift gears and operate the clutch. But it is a separate system with it's own oil pump.

Sorry this happened. Please keep us informed how this turns out.

IGETAROUND
03-21-2016, 11:22 AM
For WIW; from the maintenance manual for cleaning of the oil tank strainer: clean and inspect every 14,000 miles or two years.

Hope that this was not the proximate cause of your breakdown. :yikes:

Al

Snowbelt Spyder
03-21-2016, 11:44 AM
That sounds logical to me. I assumed the oil pump sucked from the tank by the pressure pump and a scavenging pump emptied the crankcase. Just doing a quick look at the service manual I see the scavenging pump and oil pump in the motor as well as the tank screen. The Spyder is still down on the Bayou, I'll make the 1160 mile round robin road trip tomorrow to retrieve the sick Spyder.

Well, this sucks.

I believe you have the correct idea of the functions of the pressure pump and the scavenging pump. Since you have a service manual, take a look at the section on the SE5 clutch. The clutch is kinda like two subassemblies. A pressure plate - friction plate section that is operated by a piston with oil pressure from the HCM, and a centrifugal clutch section. As you described this problem, it seemed as though the centrifugal clutch operation was the first indication that something was wrong. And so at this point, who knows what disintegrated clutch parts started getting pumped around in your oil system. The clutch cover and oil line to the clutch piston is on the right hand side of the motor. Possible source of the smoke. Perhaps both filters are clogged as well.

ARtraveler
03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
I cannot offer any more mechanical advice other than what has been posted above.

Let us know how this plays out. Good information to know. :thumbup:

jthornton
03-21-2016, 01:46 PM
JT, If you need any help I'm free and can get you if needed. Just let me know.

Thanks for the offer, my buddy is retired and is free so I'm picking him up to help with the driving (all I had to do was buy him lunch today). We leave at 3am for Raceland.

JT

jthornton
03-21-2016, 01:47 PM
For WIW; from the maintenance manual for cleaning of the oil tank strainer: clean and inspect every 14,000 miles or two years.

Hope that this was not the proximate cause of your breakdown. :yikes:

Al

I had not quite reached the 14k mark but would have been close enough for the service when I returned from Raceland.

JT

jthornton
03-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Well, this sucks.

I believe you have the correct idea of the functions of the pressure pump and the scavenging pump. Since you have a service manual, take a look at the section on the SE5 clutch. The clutch is kinda like two subassemblies. A pressure plate - friction plate section that is operated by a piston with oil pressure from the HCM, and a centrifugal clutch section. As you described this problem, it seemed as though the centrifugal clutch operation was the first indication that something was wrong. And so at this point, who knows what disintegrated clutch parts started getting pumped around in your oil system. The clutch cover and oil line to the clutch piston is on the right hand side of the motor. Possible source of the smoke. Perhaps both filters are clogged as well.

The smoke seemed more like a bit of oil hit one of the exhaust pipes as it didn't last long.

JT

Vidman
03-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Hey Cuz,

Sorry to hear this. I think you are going about it correctly. First thing I would check is the filter/screen for clogging. Here's hoping it's that simple/cheap. Good luck.

Chuck

oldguyinTX
03-21-2016, 02:06 PM
It can't hurt to try and get a "goodwill gesture" from BRP to get this fixed at no cost to you. They have been known to do this in the past for repairs on Spyders that are out of warranty. As my dad always said, "You can't get what you don't ask for". Good luck to you.

Bob Denman
03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
:agree: it cant' hurt to ask; Good luck!! :thumbup:

jtpollock
03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
:yikes::banghead::gaah:I feel your pain! but you don't have enough miles to be having problems,
these things are just full of bug's sorry to here hope all works out.... jtpollock

spyderCodes
03-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Here's hoping that it's just an oil screen clog that can be remedied quickly.
And I am keeping good thoughts.

However I doubt it.
The low pressure (oil can) screen has a really low threshold due to the value of oil pressure switch.
I think it's on the order of 5 to 8 psi which basically means if there is that little oil pressure by the time you see it and react it's game over.
It's difficult for me to see how the oil screen could be clogged with only 14K on the clock.
I 'm sure it has had at least one oil change(probably 3).
So, that leaves the oil pump going south.
But a bad oil pump doesn't really explain the full oil tank either.
It sounds like the pickup from the tank was blocked somewhere in the line.
There is a rubber hose that connects the oil tank to the engine and that might have been kinked or obstructed.
All of the above causes really suck.

Dan McNally
03-21-2016, 04:56 PM
So sorry to read about this. I didn't get the extended warranty, either, when I first purchased - but after watching this website for a few months, I sprang for one - and it paid for itself, last Fall.

I won't own one, without a warranty, after that - they are beyond my feeble brain to maintain.

I agree with the folks who are suggesting you ask BRP to step up - it isn't like you have 80,000 on it.

bmccaffrey
03-21-2016, 08:05 PM
I agree with the warranty part.
Cleaning the screen at 14000 is ridiculous. Understand preventive .

With todays oils and filters. Will not check mine as many others here have not

If it's plugged other issues.

Jt your the man that will figure it out. Keep us posted

DrewNJ
03-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Drop the oil and filters and see whatcha find....I'm guessing clutch.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Bobleach45
03-21-2016, 09:16 PM
This is why this forum is so great, lots of people willing to share knowledgeable thoughts and people that care about others. I can't add anything but best wishes for a safe recovery mission and we'll all be looking forward to hearing the conclusion to the saga.

Bfromla
03-22-2016, 12:00 AM
This is why this forum is so great, lots of people willing to share knowledgeable thoughts and people that care about others. I can't add anything but best wishes for a safe recovery mission and we'll all be looking forward to hearing the conclusion to the saga.
:agree: But do feel a need for a certified tech to help chime in:firstplace: :chat:
HAY BRP :hun: That would be good part of customer service accomplished with minimal effort. We customers dont need to learn through pain & expense. The dealerships know how to help :p Why not the manufacturer?:dontknow: (Sending the surveys:banghead:)

jthornton
03-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Today's update: Step 2 get the Spyder home... done! 1,162 miles in 18 1/2 hours. I think I'll take a nap today but first I have to get the Spyder off the trailer and into the garage before the rains start.

JT

Bob Denman
03-23-2016, 07:05 AM
Glad to hear that you made it home safely; rest up! :thumbup:

jthornton
03-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Well, I just got off the phone with the Dealer and can you believe this I must have purchased the extended warranty at some time because it is a $50 deductible till 3-18! We have some bad weather coming today but when it passes I'll haul it up to them. :)

JT

billybovine
03-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Good to hear. The 3rd year extra warranty is such a popular promotional item. It's hard to buy a Spyder that does not have that.

Bob Denman
03-23-2016, 09:31 AM
:yes::yes::yes::yes: WOO-HOO!!!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126369&stc=1

jtoro1
03-23-2016, 10:29 AM
I would suggest to purchase another extended warranty these bikes can be expensive too fix I am going to get another Zurich warranty,when mine is up in 2018

Dan McNally
03-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Really glad to hear about the warranty! They are well worth the cost!

revjvegas
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Glad to hear the good news on the ext warranty.

Fingers crossed for you they get her done in time for SpyderFest.

oldguyinTX
03-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Great News!! $50 out of pocket is way better than what would surely have been big bucks. Now, playing devil's advocate, what about getting home, going back, hauling it home, gas, hotel, etc.? Talked to a guy a couple of years ago that had the engine on a 2014 RT blow up on the way home from SpyderFest. Long story short, BRP paid for the tow back to Springfield (not BRP Roadside Assistance, which bites) , 2 nights in a hotel, and replaced the engine. Best of all possible outcomes for him. That is what customer service is all about. BRP should do more of this.

Buggy
03-24-2016, 02:00 PM
That's what I like.....the makings of a happy ending!:yes::yes:

Kwalsh
03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
My rule of thumb is if it's more than I make in a month I buy any warranty I can, I hope you have a quick and painless resolution for you.

Good luck

Empty Pockets
03-27-2016, 09:02 AM
JT

Glad to hear you made it home safely both times. even better to hear that you have the extended warranty. I'm guessing you took it up to Midwest in Farmington?

jthornton
03-27-2016, 12:36 PM
JT

Glad to hear you made it home safely both times. even better to hear that you have the extended warranty. I'm guessing you took it up to Midwest in Farmington?

Yep, dropped it off at Midwest Friday.

JT

jthornton
03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Great News!! $50 out of pocket is way better than what would surely have been big bucks. Now, playing devil's advocate, what about getting home, going back, hauling it home, gas, hotel, etc.? Talked to a guy a couple of years ago that had the engine on a 2014 RT blow up on the way home from SpyderFest. Long story short, BRP paid for the tow back to Springfield (not BRP Roadside Assistance, which bites) , 2 nights in a hotel, and replaced the engine. Best of all possible outcomes for him. That is what customer service is all about. BRP should do more of this.

The rental car came with a $210 one way drop off charge plus the rental of ~$100 or so to get home on Sunday. The rescue mission took 5 tanks of gas, 1/2 quart oil, 4 cups of coffee, a sausage/egg biscuit, 2 Popeye's lunches and 18.5 hours of road time.

JT

jthornton
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Parts came in today so I'll know soon if the engine is DOA or not.

JT

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 11:49 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127571&stc=1 For you!!!

billybovine
04-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Since the parts are ordered and in. They must have told you what went wrong?

jthornton
04-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Since the parts are ordered and in. They must have told you what went wrong?

Not much info at this time, all I know is a gasket failed and they had to order some parts. I'll quiz the mechanic when I see him. My take is the pressure pump could not supply the engine with oil pressure for some reason but the scavenging pump was working (over full oil tank).

JT

Dan McNally
04-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Good luck, JT. Hope it all works out well for you.

jthornton
04-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Good luck, JT. Hope it all works out well for you.

It might just work out well, the dealer just called and the engine has to come out and get torn down. The output shaft has a lot of play in it, maybe I'll get a new engine!

JT

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Or a new bike...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127594&stc=1

jthornton
04-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Or a new bike...

It's pretty close to the right color, a bit dark for me. I'd bet it will take more than $50 to go that route...

JT

Bob Denman
04-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Well... yes; it would! :D
But the 1330 bikes do offer an awful lot of improvements over the 998s. :thumbup:
(They went back to the "Orbital Blue", that they used in 2010, and 2011)

jthornton
04-09-2016, 06:51 AM
Well... yes; it would! :D
But the 1330 bikes do offer an awful lot of improvements over the 998s. :thumbup:
(They went back to the "Orbital Blue", that they used in 2010, and 2011)

That would match my 2010 622...

JT

Bob Denman
04-09-2016, 07:38 AM
:D Checkmate!!! :D

jthornton
04-16-2016, 07:30 AM
Well they got the engine out but have not torn it down yet so hopefully they will have an answer to the cause soon and start putting it back together.

JT

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 07:45 AM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
How about some "Ribs and Brats"; while you wait?

jthornton
04-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Even better than that we are going to Guido's Pizzeria & Tapas (http://www.guidosstl.com/) on the Hill in St. Louis today for lunch on the Bluewing.

JT

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 08:03 AM
:D Now THAT sounds like an event!! :yes::yes:
Take a few bites for me! nojoke

jthornton
04-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Will do! and a few sips of Peroni too. Are we just jacking up our post count now?

JT

jthornton
04-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Well I thought the engine was out but it seems not... I stopped by on our way to Guido's and took a couple of photos. The service manager was not around so we headed north.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128195&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128196&stc=1
Looks like some bits are off but not the engine.
JT

SteveP
04-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Well I thought the engine was out but it seems not... I stopped by on our way to Guido's and took a couple of photos. The service manager was not around so we headed north.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128195&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128196&stc=1
Looks like some bits are off but not the engine.
JT
Hope you get some resolution soon , I had to practically beg to have my sensors installed the other day instead of " a week or so before we can look at it"

jthornton
04-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Hope you get some resolution soon , I had to practically beg to have my sensors installed the other day instead of " a week or so before we can look at it"

Good thing I'm not in a bind to ride, I have the Bluewing still in the stable. I'm sure they are juggling all the time so I give them a nudge about once a week.

JT

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Good thing I'm not in a bind to ride, I have the Bluewing still in the stable. I'm sure they are juggling all the time so I give them a nudge about once a week.

JT
Are we going to see you at Spyderfest?

jthornton
04-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Are we going to see you at Spyderfest? We can only pass by on Saturday, wife is out of vacation. We want to look at the Ultimate seat for the Spyder.

Just got off the phone with the very nice service manager and they are filing a case Monday to get a complete motor. Timing chain broke in two places, pistons and bores scarred up so a real mess on the inside but I tried to tell them that.

JT

bmccaffrey
04-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Nobody listens anymore JT:yikes:

jthornton
04-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Looks like we will be there mid day Saturday for a while...

JT

Tango
04-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a good dealer. Taking care of you. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

jthornton
04-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a good dealer. Taking care of you. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

I trust them and they try real hard to take care of your problems properly, sometimes it takes a while.

JT

spyderCodes
04-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Looks like we will be there mid day Saturday for a while...

JT
I'll look for you.

MikeinGA
04-25-2016, 03:27 PM
I trust them and they try real hard to take care of your problems properly, sometimes it takes a while.

JT

I have a problem somewhat like yours. It had a bad the gauge that has the tack and speedometer and it had water in it. I replaced the gauge and now it showing the correct codes and now it's getting fixed. I should be getting back this week.

Mike

jthornton
04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Just got off the phone with the service manager and the new short block has been approved by BRP and the parts are on the way to put the Spyder back together. She said it looks funny with just the frame and rear part still on the bike. Going to look for a new seat for it at SpyderFest...

JT

Dan McNally
04-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Glad they are resolving this, so quickly!

billybovine
04-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Good to hear it should be fixed soon. Any ideas on what failed first?

jthornton
04-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Good to hear it should be fixed soon. Any ideas on what failed first?

The tech said something about a gasket failing so I assume it stopped up the suction side of the primary oil pump as the oil tank was over full. I'll quiz him in person when I pick it up.

JT

jthornton
05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
There seems to be something missing from my spyder I just can't put my finger on it...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129020&stc=1
JT

IGETAROUND
05-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Great looking seat JT

jthornton
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Great looking seat JT

Thanks, I really wanted a more comfortable seat after the Spyders on the Bayou ride and finding out the new engine only cost me $50 made me decide to dig up a mason jar and head to Springfield. Really I just wanted to see and chat with Roger a bit but the seat was a bonus.

JT

Cruzr Joe
05-01-2016, 05:31 PM
JT

Glad everything is working out with your Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

Empty Pockets
05-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Hi JT glad to hear things are working out well so far with your Spyder. I'm sure you will love the Ultimate Seat. Disappointed we didn't run in to each other at the vendor village. Had a few people ask me about the dash mount bar. I pointed them in your direction.

jthornton
05-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Hi JT glad to hear things are working out well so far with your Spyder. I'm sure you will love the Ultimate Seat. Disappointed we didn't run in to each other at the vendor village. Had a few people ask me about the dash mount bar. I pointed them in your direction.

Dang, I wish I knew you were there I would have looked you up. We were on our way to a cabin near Branson so it was a quick visit to the vendor village to get some F4 cleaner and the seat.

JT

Empty Pockets
05-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Hope you had a good trip to Branson. I'm guessing we will connect at Farmington. Keep us up-to-date on your RT repairs

johnwinslow
05-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Here's hoping that it's just an oil screen clog that can be remedied quickly.
And I am keeping good thoughts.

However I doubt it.
The low pressure (oil can) screen has a really low threshold due to the value of oil pressure switch.
I think it's on the order of 5 to 8 psi which basically means if there is that little oil pressure by the time you see it and react it's game over.
It's difficult for me to see how the oil screen could be clogged with only 14K on the clock.
I 'm sure it has had at least one oil change(probably 3).
So, that leaves the oil pump going south.
But a bad oil pump doesn't really explain the full oil tank either.
It sounds like the pickup from the tank was blocked somewhere in the line.
There is a rubber hose that connects the oil tank to the engine and that might have been kinked or obstructed.
All of the above causes really suck.

may be a collapsed oil filter

jthornton
05-11-2016, 05:06 PM
may be a collapsed oil filter
John, that does sound plausible.

Some photos I took Saturday on our way to watch one of our group jump out of a plane.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129661&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129662&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129663&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129664&stc=1
JT

jthornton
05-11-2016, 05:08 PM
They are waiting on the new heads to start assembly of the engine. The total is over $3k so far, glad I got the extended warranty.

JT

billybovine
05-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Nice new short block. Glad you're getting new heads too.

jthornton
05-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Nice new short block. Glad you're getting new heads too.

The cam bearing area was toast on the heads so they had to put new ones on. The only thing they can use is the two side covers.

JT

Tango
05-11-2016, 08:02 PM
JC, in the first pic. Is that the top of the pistons we see? If so, they look very clean. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

jthornton
05-12-2016, 05:39 AM
JC, in the first pic. Is that the top of the pistons we see? If so, they look very clean. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

The first photo is the top of the heads showing the scarring on the cam bearings.

JT

Ex Winger
05-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Glad their getting it fixed for you.Hope your back on it soon and with the new seat it,ll be a sweet ride.
Bill

rogerb
05-12-2016, 07:32 AM
On my Spyder the oil filter collapsed. Apparently something got sucked up into the system and took out the clutch and cracked the lower case. Yesterday they were suppose to discuss what had to be done and by whom.
I'm in no hurry but high 70s and beautiful sunshine today and tomorrow and I haven't ridden since Spyderfest. Not good for my health no fresh air.

jthornton
05-12-2016, 08:30 AM
On my Spyder the oil filter collapsed. Apparently something got sucked up into the system and took out the clutch and cracked the lower case. Yesterday they were suppose to discuss what had to be done and by whom.
I'm in no hurry but high 70s and beautiful sunshine today and tomorrow and I haven't ridden since Spyderfest. Not good for my health no fresh air.

Ouch, I hear you. Nothing but rain for the next few days here.

JT

jthornton
05-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Got some good news this morning, the heads came in yesterday and the tech is putting the puzzle back together

:yes:

JT

DJFaninTN
05-13-2016, 11:34 AM
woooohoooo ... one step closer

Got some good news this morning, the heads came in yesterday and the tech is putting the puzzle back together

:yes:

JT

dlby
05-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Howdy
Your signature says red RT
Pics are blue

if we could get my white RT pic in there we would have red white & blue!

Hope you are on road sooner than you think!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Empty Pockets
05-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Good to hear JT! Riding within the week sounds likely.

cyclelover63
05-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Jt..Now would be a good time to put some angled grease fittings in those lower control arms so they can be greased easier..Or at least grease them now.

jthornton
05-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Jt..Now would be a good time to put some angled grease fittings in those lower control arms so they can be greased easier..Or at least grease them now.

That's a good idea, I wish the dealer was closer to me... I'll grease them when I get it back.

JT

jthornton
05-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Latest news on the Dead Spyder, the engine is back together but not back in yet. The tech is trying to have it all back together late next week! So far the total is a tad over $7,500 for the new engine.

JT

Bob Denman
05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
:thumbup: It's good to hear that the "light at the end of the tunnel", is finally starting to get both closer, and brighter!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130598&stc=1

pegasus1300
05-20-2016, 02:34 PM
And that it is not a train coming the other way:roflblack:

Tango
05-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Latest news on the Dead Spyder, the engine is back together but not back in yet. The tech is trying to have it all back together late next week! So far the total is a tad over $7,500 for the new engine.

JT

:yikes: Yikes! A lot of money for sure. Glad it was all covered. Sounds like you might be riding it soon. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

40Xshooter
05-20-2016, 05:30 PM
After reading this thread my conclusion would be, when I get my RT-S next April, to make sure I pony up for the extended warranty......WOW what a story!

SteveP
05-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Wow . Yes the warranty seems pretty crucial when available . What would be the cost be to replace one of the triples I wonder . That's approaching the cost of a v8 crate engine :shocked:

40Xshooter
05-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Wow . Yes the warranty seems pretty crucial when available . What would be the cost be to replace one of the triples I wonder . That's approaching the cost of a v8 crate engine :shocked:

I don't know about a crate motor but that's the cost of a VW DSG transmission replacement!

Empty Pockets
05-21-2016, 07:31 AM
JT
Good to hear it's getting closer to being ready. This is a great decision swayer for those on the fence about purchasing an extended warranty!

Sam Mac
05-21-2016, 08:29 AM

JT

$7,500.00 you can get this for less. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19301360/overview/

Bob Denman
05-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Yeah... but will it fit underneath the Spyder's Tupperware? :roflblack:

SteveP
05-21-2016, 01:12 PM
$7,500.00 you can get this for less. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19301360/overview/

Thats the engine I put in my 2003 Silverado SS , $8400.00 CDN .... That's why I was shocked at the price of a 1000 cc twin . I guess the tab for labour would be a fair chunk as well though ?

Ex-Rocket
05-21-2016, 01:20 PM
JT, glad that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and to be able to ride again.

jthornton
05-27-2016, 06:04 PM
The service manager called this afternoon, the Spyder is back together and should be ready to pick up in the morning... if it ain't raining I'll go get it.

Edit: just looked at the date of the first post and pretty much 9 weeks from the day it died. The dealer had it about 8 weeks as I said before they tried to see if it was a quick fix and when it was not I had to get back in line. So the upshot is I good with how long it took.

JT

SteveP
05-27-2016, 07:25 PM
The service manager called this afternoon, the Spyder is back together and should be ready to pick up in the morning... if it ain't raining I'll go get it.

Edit: just looked at the date of the first post and pretty much 9 weeks from the day it died. The dealer had it about 8 weeks as I said before they tried to see if it was a quick fix and when it was not I had to get back in line. So the upshot is I good with how long it took.

JT

Good to hear , seemed like a while but back with a nice tight engine :)
interested to see if you notice any difference ( improvement I mean )

Tango
05-27-2016, 09:17 PM
That's good news JT. Hope you get good weather for a break in ride. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

jthornton
05-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Good to hear , seemed like a while but back with a nice tight engine :)
interested to see if you notice any difference ( improvement I mean )

I'm hoping the new engine does not use as much oil as the old one did.

JT

jthornton
05-28-2016, 06:59 AM
That's good news JT. Hope you get good weather for a break in ride. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Extended forecast shows rain for the next 10 days... and it's been raining for a while. :(

At least I'll have time to fit the new Ultimate seat and finish building my new blast cabinet.

JT

Bob Denman
05-28-2016, 07:19 AM
.JT
:clap::congrats: :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0VkrUG3OrPc

jthornton
05-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Got a call yesterday from the dealer and the Spyder still has a check engine light and something about the throttle body so I might get a new one... throttle body I mean.

JT

Bob Denman
05-29-2016, 07:48 AM
:banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjT25GyXTM&feature=player_detailpage

Empty Pockets
05-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Got a call yesterday from the dealer and the Spyder still has a check engine light and something about the throttle body so I might get a new one... throttle body I mean.

JT
What's one more delay. Good that it was found before you got it back. At least you have your wing to keep your riding fix satisfied

jthornton
05-30-2016, 09:23 AM
What's one more delay. Good that it was found before you got it back. At least you have your wing to keep your riding fix satisfied

Yep, and it's all under the same $50 deductible.

Pretty nice day here today, the BlueWing, me and the back seat driver are going for an ice cream cone at the Eminence Dairy Shack be back in time for a nap I think.

JT

jthornton
05-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Service Manager called today and said "do you have some parts for your Spyder at your house?" I said yea the windshield and the two small covers. She said we have been going nuts trying to find them. The she said did you have a scratch on the left front fender? I said no, she said we will replace it. That is a service department! Bike is done and waiting on a new front fender. Gives them time to ride it a bit and see if anything pops up. That's why I haul my Spyder 90 miles to them for service work.

JT

cyclelover63
05-31-2016, 06:32 PM
With the cost of paint now days,I cold see a fender already painted would be cheaper at their cost...I agree that is a good service department..

Bob Denman
06-01-2016, 06:43 AM
They ARE a good dealership! :clap:

And you're in the homestretch now!!! :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMPoaU2oL4&feature=player_detailpage

jthornton
06-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Bringing the Spyder home today. I have to trailer it back as I don't have a ride up there.

JT

Bob Denman
06-08-2016, 07:05 AM
:congrats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc&feature=player_detailpage

Empty Pockets
06-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Good to hear. Looking forward to hearing your first ride report!

SteveP
06-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Glad to hear . Have fun breaking it in ...... Again :thumbup:

jthornton
06-09-2016, 06:47 AM
Went for a short ride from the dealer to Saint Genevieve and back and the engine sounds better than the original one for sure. I'll see if the mileage and oil consumption are better on this one. The original motor had terrible gas mileage and consumed a quart of oil between oil changes.

Spoke to the Tech and the upshot is a bearing failed and allowed the clutch assembly to sag down and start rubbing on the crankcase. The resulting aluminum bits being generated finally clogged up the oil filter resulting in a loss of oil pressure and the final demise of the engine. Some bits got between the cam chain and the sprockets and the chain was broken in two spots and just barely holding on.

JT

Bob Denman
06-09-2016, 06:54 AM
While it stinks that it happened; at least they were able to find the cause... :thumbup:
:congrats: on getting "Back on Three!" :riding:

Empty Pockets
06-10-2016, 05:37 AM
Went for a short ride from the dealer to Saint Genevieve and back and the engine sounds better than the original one for sure. I'll see if the mileage and oil consumption are better on this one. The original motor had terrible gas mileage and consumed a quart of oil between oil changes.

Spoke to the Tech and the upshot is a bearing failed and allowed the clutch assembly to sag down and start rubbing on the crankcase. The resulting aluminum bits being generated finally clogged up the oil filter resulting in a loss of oil pressure and the final demise of the engine. Some bits got between the cam chain and the sprockets and the chain was broken in two spots and just barely holding on.

JT

Good to hear!

dlby
06-10-2016, 06:16 AM
I hope it runs & runs 4ever for you now!

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

cyclelover63
06-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Let me know what you think of the new seat...been thinking of one myself!

billybovine
06-10-2016, 10:22 AM

JT

That is a great explanation and a very plausible. Thanks that will add to the knowledge base.

jthornton
06-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Going to Strawberry's BBQ (http://www.strawsbbq.com/) Saturday in Holcomb, MO with the gang, I'll report when I get back. Also going to Hot Springs AR over the July 4 weekend.

JT

SteveP
06-10-2016, 08:06 PM
That is a great explanation and a very plausible. Thanks that will add to the knowledge base.

Took the words right out of my fingers Billy... I found myself picturing each event as it happened , with sound of course :cheers:. Sounds like that Rotax was fighting to live though

jthornton
06-20-2016, 06:18 PM

I ordered one for the BlueWing and that's what I think about them. I used the female shopping analogy of I saved $225 today dear, the backrest from the Spyder fits the Wing now... I'm such a smart shopper.

JT

jthornton
06-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Spyder update, I filled up with gas and was waiting for the screen to boot up to clear the trip an all hell broke loose. Seems there was an air pocket in the engine and when I pulled in for gas and pointed down hill a bit the burp occurred and set off a few over temp alarms, check engine light and even limp mode for a second. By the time I ciphered mileage all the issues cleared. Rode p to Midwest Power Sports and checked buds and it showed an over temp and the coolant was a bit low so all sounded plausible that an air pocket caused the alarms and now that she has burped I look forward to a lot of miles of smiles.

JT