PDA

View Full Version : Found chaffed wiring harness

MercerLake
03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
I have a 2008 RS and decided to Install a Voltmeter, used a POWER WERKS voltmeter as it has a bright blue display and mounts with a simple round 1.125" hole. What I found while following the wiring harness to find a convenient wire that is hot only with the key on is of most interest. The wiring harness at the relay/fuse panel at the front left just behind the Frunk had been rubbing on the adjacent metal. Several wires had the insulation chaffed away and were bare exposed copper waiting to short out. Likely on a "dark and Rainy Night" somewhere! Point being if you have the "Tupperware" off check all the wiring harnesses for chaffing on metal, save an inconvenient stop by the side of the road or a "FIRE"!:yikes::yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2016, 12:51 AM
I have a 2008 RS and decided to Install a Voltmeter, used a POWER WERKS voltmeter as it has a bright blue display and mounts with a simple round 1.125" hole. What I found while following the wiring harness to find a convenient wire that is hot only with the key on is of most interest. The wiring harness at the relay/fuse panel at the front left just behind the Frunk had been rubbing on the adjacent metal. Several wires had the insulation chaffed away and were bare exposed copper waiting to short out. Likely on a "dark and Rainy Night" somewhere! Point being if you have the "Tupperware" off check all the wiring harnesses for chaffing on metal, save an inconvenient stop by the side of the road or a "FIRE"!:yikes::yikes:
This is interesting because for it to occur something has to be moving....either the HARNESS is moving ....or something is rubbing against the HARNESS......neither of which should be happening.......In 08 there was only a GS, I know because I had one .........Mike :bbq:

Grandpot
03-21-2016, 07:07 AM
This is interesting to know. I am having conversations with a couple of people about Spyder problems and the fact that the dealers change out the same part several times on the same machine. I don't think they are really taking the time to find the root cause of the problems. I realize you did not have a failure, but your situation is a prime example of what can cause an intermittent failure.

MercerLake
03-21-2016, 12:15 PM
:sour:
This is interesting because for it to occur something has to be moving....either the HARNESS is moving ....or something is rubbing against the HARNESS......neither of which should be happening.......In 08 there was only a GS, I know because I had one .........Mike :bbq:

:sour: I should have given more detail as the Relay/Fuse Block clips into a metal bracket and the harness is stuffed in under the relay module against the metal frame. The motion involved was likely very small but over time it wore through the insulation, the exposed copper was slightly corroded and had not shorted to ground over the year I had the machine, and had not exhibited a problem yet! Yes it is a GS. My whole point was to caution owners to check for chaffing whenever the "TupperWare" is off. An "ounce of prevention" being much cheaper than waiting for failures to occur.
I corrected the problem with "Liquid Tape" and several wraps of fabric electrical tape over the affected area, The harness is well protected with vinyl tubing except for the last 6" or so adjacent to the relay/ fuse module.:sour:

wyliec
03-21-2016, 12:26 PM
:sour:

:sour: I should have given more detail as the Relay/Fuse Block clips into a metal bracket and the harness is stuffed in under the relay module against the metal frame. I corrected the problem with "Liquid Tape" and several wraps of fabric electrical tape over the affected area, The harness is well protected with vinyl tubing except for the last 6" or so adjacent to the relay/ fuse module.:sour:

With as many times as I've been in that area, I must have missed the metal bracket. I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks.

I like the idea of the liquid tape.

wyliec
03-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Mike, I hate to correct you; but, for the model year 2008 there was a 2008GS ME. Think about 2013 and your video, the year before the 1st spyderquest.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Mike, I hate to correct you; but, for the model year 2008 there was a 2008GS ME. Think about 2013 and your video, the year before the 1st spyderquest.
OMG - I missed the ME thing, me and about 100,000 other Spyder owners Thank you for reminding us there was such a thing :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:: bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:...... ...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack:......Mike :bbq:

wyliec
03-21-2016, 02:49 PM
It stands for Mike's Edition.

DrewNJ
03-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Good find! This really is a strong argument on why people should learn to do a lot of their own services, and spend some time with, and learn about their machines.
Dealers just aren't going to spend the time to look things over the same way an owner will on their own machine.
I make it a point at least once a season (usually over the winter) to strip down all the plastics and give everything a good once over. Wipe, pull, tug...a lot of you would be amazed at the amount of wear areas you'll discover just from normal road vibrations. It allows for the opportunity to also clean some hard to reach nooks and crannies too. Its an OCD kinda thing...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2016, 03:23 PM
It stands for Mike's Edition.
:clap: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............It's been awhile since that's been out of the closet :yikes: and we have lot's of new members who might enjoy a good laugh......before riding season.........could you re-post the LINK....Thanks...Mike :thumbup: