PDA

View Full Version : Question on throttlemeister

aubierules
02-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I am thinking of putting the throttlemeister on my spyder. I have had problems of my hand going numb....I replaced the grips with soft foam and they work real good...my question is this...has anyone put the heavy throttlemeister on their spyder(they make a heavy and a standard)....if so did it make the stearing heavier(harder) i cant decide on the heavy versus the standard....i think the heavy might help more with vibration, but will it steer alot heavier?

confused?!?! me too :D

thanks

Recluze
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I have had a Throttlemeister on mine for some 12,000 miles and it one of the best things I have done to the bike. I do not know if it is heavy or light though. I have never had any vibration with or without it so I am not sure that I would notice a difference in any case.

I think I like the Throttlemeister better than a cruise control. With the Throttlemeister you have to make corrections as you gain or lose altitude so that tends to keep me awake.

Good luck with your decision.

NancysToy
02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
We have standard Throttlemeisters on both the Spyder and my BMW. BJT and Dltang have the heavy on their Spyders. Neither changes how the Spyder steers. They both serve just as different sized bar-end weights, which can reduce handlebar vibration. There are also many other causes of hand numbness besides vibration, however, including carpel tunnel, wrist position, shoulder position, neck position, and your posture. If you want a throttle friction device to use as a sort of cruise control to relax your hand periodically, the Throttlemeister does the job well. It also doubles as a bar-end weight. If you just need the weight, they are available separately, from many sources, including BRP, I think. Handlebar risers are an alternative that have aloso helped some riders with this problem. Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

bjt
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
:agree:

crazycanuck
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
We have standard Throttlemeisters on both the Spyder and my BMW. BJT and Dltang have the heavy on their Spyders. Neither changes how the Spyder steers. They both serve just as different sized bar-end weights, which can reduce handlebar vibration. There are also many other causes of hand numbness besides vibration, however, including carpel tunnel, wrist position, shoulder position, neck position, and your posture. If you want a throttle friction device to use as a sort of cruise control to relax your hand periodically, the Throttlemeister does the job well. It also doubles as a bar-end weight. If you just need the weight, they are available separately, from many sources, including BRP, I think. Handlebar risers are an alternative that have aloso helped some riders with this problem. Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.

for me I think its the posture position. Do great on my bike but when I demo'd the Spyder, whoa....I was hurting after the first hour and also due to the fact I hated the ride, was hanging on for dear life because I didn't like the way it turned and my back was in a slouch position. Once I am riding the Spyder more consistently I will find my comfortable position.:pray:

aubierules
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM

cool thanks...maybe dlang and bjt can give their 2 cents on the heavy..im leaning towards the heavy, especially since it wont make the steering harder....I had heavy bar ends on my ninja and it did make a difference, most likely cause of 2 wheels and not three..ie no push pull

thanks guys:thumbup:

SpyderGirl
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
We love our throttlemeister. I too had the problem of my hand going numb when I was riding. I found the biggest thing that fixed that wasn't the throttlemeister, but the 1" handlebar riser... HUGE difference. I don't have that problem anymore. But I still like having the throttlemeister for long trips.

bjt
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
cool thanks...maybe dlang and bjt can give their 2 cents on the heavy..im leaning towards the heavy, especially since it wont make the steering harder....I had heavy bar ends on my ninja and it did make a difference, most likely cause of 2 wheels and not three..ie no push pull

One time, while on a long ride to Valcourt, Quebec, we hit a patch of road where the surface seemed to be giving more vibration to the handlebars than normal and my throttle hand got very sore, very fast. After that, I decided that I needed some type of throttle lock or cruise control to be able to be able to give my right hand a break. I got the heavy Throttlemeister because thats what my wife had and thats what they were recommending for the Spyder. Since having it, I haven't hit a similar patch of road surface that caused that vibration. Normally I don't think that the Spyder's handlebars transmit a lot of vibration so I can't really say that those heavy bar ends took away the irritating vibration.

I can say for sure that I noticed absolutely no difference in steering effort with the Throttlemesiter installed and it works very well for giving my throttle hand a short break. I may need to adjust it a little better but I can only ride for about a minute, sometimes less, without my hand on the throttle before I start to lose speed.

Roaddog2
02-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I wonder if we can get them to give us a group discount:ani29:

czdaryle
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
if you get a group discount I'm in

bone crusher
02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
if you get a group discount I'm in

You should get one regardless...many of us from here have already purchased...I can't wait to get mine on the bike...right now it's sitting in the small box it comes in...can't wait til spring...

Everyone who has one loves it! I'm sure I'll love mine too!

aubierules
02-25-2009, 09:23 AM
One time, while on a long ride to Valcourt, Quebec, we hit a patch of road where the surface seemed to be giving more vibration to the handlebars than normal and my throttle hand got very sore, very fast. After that, I decided that I needed some type of throttle lock or cruise control to be able to be able to give my right hand a break. I got the heavy Throttlemeister because thats what my wife had and thats what they were recommending for the Spyder. Since having it, I haven't hit a similar patch of road surface that caused that vibration. Normally I don't think that the Spyder's handlebars transmit a lot of vibration so I can't really say that those heavy bar ends took away the irritating vibration.

I can say for sure that I noticed absolutely no difference in steering effort with the Throttlemesiter installed and it works very well for giving my throttle hand a short break. I may need to adjust it a little better but I can only ride for about a minute, sometimes less, without my hand on the throttle before I start to lose speed.
cool ty

pitmon
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
just ordered mine, can't wait to get it installed and try it out. I will wait until after I get the NMN risers put on tho, hope to get those at Daytona Saturday:):yes:

bdspyder
02-26-2009, 12:17 AM
One of the first mods I did and well worth it. The style they offer for the spyder really looks good too. You cant go wrong:2thumbs:

bone crusher
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
One of the first mods I did and well worth it. The style they offer for the spyder really looks good too. You cant go wrong:2thumbs:

I've had one on my desk now for over a month...can't wait for a nice day to get this thing on...argh!

aubierules
02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
i ordered the heavy set yesterday:clap:

aubierules
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
a piece of cake to install, and works great:thumbup:

bjt
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
:congrats:

aubierules
03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
:congrats:
:thumbup:

dltang
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Honestly, I got the heavy because I liked the looks better. Just a bit longer and easier to control and turn while driving, IMO. It takes a little getting used to, to turn on the throttlemeister as I pick up speed getting on the expressway, and learning to roll it on and off. Once you get the hang of it though, it is very easy and I love having it. We have taken numerous long trips and it has made all the difference in the world.
Deb

NancysToy
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Honestly, I got the heavy because I liked the looks better. Just a bit longer and easier to control and turn while driving, IMO. It takes a little getting used to, to turn on the throttlemeister as I pick up speed getting on the expressway, and learning to roll it on and off. Once you get the hang of it though, it is very easy and I love having it. We have taken numerous long trips and it has made all the difference in the world.
Deb
I never turn mine off. I have always ridden vintage bikes, and many have a throttle friction device from the factory. These cannot be disengaged at will. Many other bikes back then just had weak throttle springs. As a result, I learned to turn the throttle both on and off all the time. No need to worry about the Throttlemeister being engaged if you do this. Besides, my hand doesn't get as tired that way.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

aubierules
03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
I never turn mine off. I have always ridden vintage bikes, and many have a throttle friction device from the factory. These cannot be disengaged at will. Many other bikes back then just had weak throttle springs. As a result, I learned to turn the throttle both on and off all the time. No need to worry about the Throttlemeister being engaged if you do this. Besides, my hand doesn't get as tired that way.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

u sound just like my buddy carlos....he has a bunch of vintage bikes, 16 i think....he said the same thing about old throttle locks...said one had a screw that u turned to give resistance

wildwillie
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I have had a Throttlemeister on mine for some 12,000 miles and it one of the best things I have done to the bike. I do not know if it is heavy or light though. I have never had any vibration with or without it so I am not sure that I would notice a difference in any case.

I think I like the Throttlemeister better than a cruise control. With the Throttlemeister you have to make corrections as you gain or lose altitude so that tends to keep me awake.

Good luck with your decision.
where did you get your throttlemeister. wildwillie

aubierules
03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
where did you get your throttlemeister. wildwillie
throttlemeisters website