PDA

View Full Version : Close up Pics/Video of removing the connectors off the back of the temp/fuel gauges?

jlg
03-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Folks,
does anyone have any close up pics of how to get the black 3-wire connector off the back of the gauges? Seems like it's on pretty tight.

Also, any quick graphic showing WHICH wires to use to wire up a dual-usb and a 12V outlet? Any "best practice" for tapping into the existing wires? I'd rather not cut the current connectors off in case I ever want to go back to using the stock gauges.

This is for a 2014 RT-S

Thanks!

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-17-2016, 11:50 PM
:agree: ....I used a pair of needle nose pliers......if you have the ones with the bend at the end it might be even easier ....jmho.....Mike :bbq:

jlg
03-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Any good methods for tapping the wires?? I don't want to cut off the current connectors in case I want to put the gauges back.....

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Any good methods for tapping the wires?? I don't want to cut off the current connectors in case I want to put the gauges back.....
On both gauges the orange with red stripe is 12 volt power and black with violet stripe is ground. There are two power leads into each gauge, on ground lead out, and one wire goes to the cluster. Be VERY careful not to muck with the wire going to the cluster or you might have an expensive problem on your hands!

As far as tapping into them I suggest you connect or solder a wire to a brass screw the same size as on the gauges and plug them into the gauge connector. Wrap tape around them to make sure they stay in place.

jlg
03-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks -- very helpful! I'll give that a shot....

On both gauges the orange with red stripe is 12 volt power and black with violet stripe is ground. There are two power leads into each gauge, on ground lead out, and one wire goes to the cluster. Be VERY careful not to muck with the wire going to the cluster or you might have an expensive problem on your hands!

As far as tapping into them I suggest you connect or solder a wire to a brass screw the same size as on the gauges and plug them into the gauge connector. Wrap tape around them to make sure they stay in place.