PDA

View Full Version : Laser alignment

sypderrobinson134
03-17-2016, 08:31 PM
So this might seem like a stupid question but what's a laser alignment and what's the point of having one done thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupaca
03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
In a nutshell, it makes sure all wheels are headed in the same direction in unison. This helps with the tracking steering stability and front end vibrations or irregularities you may have. It is worth having it done if you do a lot of ryding or if you feel the handling is off. The difference is noticeable....:thumbup:

MOSESS
03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Has any one in Nj got this done and where..

Gray Ghost
03-17-2016, 10:45 PM
You can find a list of NJ Rolo Alignment dealers here: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersnj.htm

there are also independent dealers listed here: http://www.spydercomfort.com/independant%20dealers.htm

If you want to look in a different state: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-18-2016, 01:49 AM
So this might seem like a stupid question but what's a laser alignment and what's the point of having one done thanks in advance
It's using a tool attached to the front wheel to project a laser beam for and aft that is parallel to the wheel. The wheels are adjusted so the beams show the two front wheels to be parallel to each other within a tight tolerance. The factory alignment process somewhat does the same thing except it uses a straight edge and measures to the bike frame. The laser method is easier, faster, and more accurate.

Trbayth
03-18-2016, 07:06 AM
Has any one in Nj got this done and where..

Netzley's Tire Service in Accord NY is your best bet, being in Northern Jersey.

Ping rnet here for details.

MOSESS
03-18-2016, 07:35 AM
I have about a 100 miles on it now and I am noticing a few things . vibration at certain speeds that goes away ,Its not the tires but more like a frame feeling or engine shudder..Thanks for the info

SpyderSteveFL
03-18-2016, 08:45 AM
I have about a 100 miles on it now and I am noticing a few things . vibration at certain speeds that goes away ,Its not the tires but more like a frame feeling or engine shudder..Thanks for the info
That's interesting because I'm experiencing similar. I've been trying to determine if it is indeed the road/highway or what but it's very difficult to tell. It is intermittent for sure. Per a suggestion I was going to high speed balance both front tires and do the laser alignment. It does seem like engine shudder though.

cognaccruiser
03-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Historically, vibrations have been related to the drive belt harmonics at certain speeds. Usually speeds at the upper range. For example, some have noticed a vibration that starts at a certain speed and ceases at another speed fairly consistently. Not saying it can't be, but laser alignments are not usually associated with vibrations. Belt tension adjustment or a belt tensioner (after market product) can help if that is what you are experiencing.

Laser alignments usually show improvement in handling characteristics.

Gary

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-18-2016, 09:57 AM
That's interesting because I'm experiencing similar. I've been trying to determine if it is indeed the road/highway or what but it's very difficult to tell. It is intermittent for sure. Per a suggestion I was going to high speed balance both front tires and do the laser alignment. It does seem like engine shudder though.
This would be BELT Harmonics.......if you have a tire imbalance you start to feel it at a certain speed, it only gets worse as the speed rises !!!!!.....On BAD alignment -- truth is , unless it's way out of TRUE you generally can't FEEL IT.......but the tire wear will tell you, but this takes 3000 or more miles..............jmho....Mike :bbq:

Darren111
03-18-2016, 03:26 PM

I did feel vibrations on my F3-S initially, but the vibrations have disappeared. My mileage is just over 2000 miles.

Brentc
03-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Had the same issue of vibration between 65-70 mph. Had belt adjusted at first interval and solved the issue.

SpyderSteveFL
03-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Hadn't really considered the belt - great point. Next time I'm on the highway I will have to play with speed/RPM, etc and see if I can duplicate it. The bike needs to go in soon for replacement of compressor and first service, I'll have them check the belt too.