PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ordered one of these key fobs?

SpyderTwyn
03-15-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm so afraid I'm going to lose my key. I saw posts about drilling holes and the key sheaths (not a fan).

i found this on etsy. I ordered one. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/204463064/can-am-spyder-roadster-key-cover-custom

kbwitt
03-15-2016, 07:12 PM
I have a 2014 rt it came with 2 key sleeves that work great. I have one haning from a loop clip from belt loop key locks in and stays put till I jerk it out to use.. so see if your dealer has one to fit your key.
Kenn

JayBros
03-15-2016, 07:38 PM
I prefer Kenn's method as I don't want anything flopping around the ignition lock. On out of town trips the second Spyder key goes in the frunk/trunk and an Ilco X270 key that will unlock the frunk/trunk but can't start the Spyder goes in my wallet.

wyliec
03-15-2016, 07:54 PM
The benefit of owning a 2008 GS is I use an IPS, and leave it in the ignition. If it's stolen, I didn't leave the key in the ignition.:dontknow: I've gotten my money's worth out of my spyder. I've got more important things to think about.

Oh yeah, lot of people lose wallets.

Chupaca
03-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Have seen several like that and they work well. There is another that clamp onto the key that is quite nice. I have no problem with the sheath on a lanyard and carry a dupe in my poket. The one your getting is nice I like the Y logo on it....does it match your spyder.....:thumbup:

pwm
03-16-2016, 04:52 AM
I'm so afraid I'm going to lose my key. I saw posts about drilling holes and the key sheaths (not a fan).

i found this on etsy. I ordered one. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/204463064/can-am-spyder-roadster-key-cover-custom

I used the clip that came with the Spyder but I never felt secure with is and purchased one like the link above. I absolutely love it.

SpyderTwyn
03-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Have seen several like that and they work well. There is another that clamp onto the key that is quite nice. I have no problem with the sheath on a lanyard and carry a dupe in my poket. The one your getting is nice I like the Y logo on it....does it match your spyder.....:thumbup:

Yes, I ordered what I think will match. It's brown leather with a red R initial and a black Y logo. I was going to get a small, soft, plush fob for it. Probably an emoji...I don't want all my keys flapping around up there.

vided
03-16-2016, 05:45 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125977&stc=1

SpyderTwyn
03-16-2016, 05:46 AM
I used the clip that came with the Spyder but I never felt secure with is and purchased one like the link above. I absolutely love it.

Mine didn't come with anything. I only have one key, so I'm extra paranoid. I have a second key that is not cut or programmed yet.

robertl
03-16-2016, 05:55 AM
I found these on another forum or website: http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/AMG-BMW-BMWJ33.html

I ordered 2 and they do the job well. I didn't like the oem holder and was always worried my wife would lose the key. I wanted something that would attach to a key ring to also hold my cable lock key.

Ron2andia
03-16-2016, 06:14 AM
Can someone tell me the price.. Kr184 I don't understand...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
:agree: I saw that, and really hoped that we weren't talking about dollars... :yikes:

Oh; my key is drilled, and is working just fine! :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
03-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Can someone tell me the price.. Kr184 I don't understand...:dontknow:

Googled it, that's Swedish Krona(sp) ~ $23.00 US:thumbup:

murphybrown
03-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Lamont's IPS...have used for all my years of ryding...never had an issue. 2nd key I have on a keychain and is always on my person when ryding any further than to town....Read to many stories of folks locking keys in or misplacing and then the 2nd key is locked in Frunk or saddle bags!!! :yikes:

Bob Denman
03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Googled it, that's Swedish Krona(sp) ~ $23.00 US:thumbup:
That seems like pretty reasonable price! :2thumbs:

sharp
03-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Spyder Twyn I have the exact one you ordered and do'nt care for it. When you push the key down to unlock the frunk the case slides forward and makes it almost impossible.

latony007
03-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Thats odd, i absolutely love the OEM Sheath, it allows you to hook to a key chain and the remove to put in the bike so you dont have to worry about a ring or other keys dangling and scratching the spyder. Lots of people have had them for years without the key ever coming out. In fact i have never really read of any problem with them. i just wish they had the same thing with my yamaha. I had to rig a two piece key chain set up and superglue one half to the key to get the same effect as the spyder sheath. I actually have a couple spare sheaths i think since i didnt send them in with my trade :)

Bob Denman
03-16-2016, 10:53 AM
I hear you... :thumbup:
But I just can't get my feeble brain wrapped around the idea of a "friction-fit" item; lasting for a protracted length of time. :shocked:

robmorg
03-16-2016, 11:37 AM
I hear you... :thumbup:
But I just can't get my feeble brain wrapped around the idea of a "friction-fit" item; lasting for a protracted length of time. :shocked:I'm a big fan of the BRP sheath as well. Your suspicion seems reasonable, but doesn't seek to be the case. Mine have been in use for three years now (six months before I owned my Spyder - it was a demo) and both keys still fit in their respective scabbards as tightly as the day they were new. :thumbup:

Casher50
03-16-2016, 11:49 AM
I have a fear of being a LONG way from home and losing my one and only key, especially since I find myself losing things more and more as I get older (I'll soon be 66). I paid the $50 or so for a second programmed key. I then started using the new key and hid the original key in the rear trunk. The peace of mind was worth the money to me.

Bob Denman
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Do you have an un-coded "Dummy Key", with which to open things up? :dontknow:
Get yourself an Ilco X-270 key blank; get it cut, and hide it securely on the bike! :2thumbs:

robmorg
03-16-2016, 12:08 PM
I have a fear of being a LONG way from home and losing my one and only key, especially since I find myself losing things more and more as I get older (I'll soon be 66). I paid the $50 or so for a second programmed key. I then started using the new key and hid the original key in the rear trunk. The peace of mind was worth the money to me. That'll work ...unless you lock the trunk and then loose your key. ;)

Some folks have hidden a non-chip key by tightly securing it behind one of the pull-off front side panels for that reason.

sduskin
03-16-2016, 01:49 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125996&stc=1 he machined it out of some pieces of aluminum

jcthorne
03-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I just put the hole in the key like every other key in the world. I see no reason BRP needs to be different from everything else. I only have a house key and garage door fob on my key ring, never had them scratch or otherwise hurt the spyder nor get in the way of anything while in the ignition.

I would prefer if BRP would go to keyless fobs like most newer cars. There is simply no need for a mechanical lock when an electronic one offers MUCH better security along with its convenience. Mechanical keys are so 1960s....

robmorg
03-16-2016, 03:36 PM
I would prefer if BRP would go to keyless fobs like most newer cars. There is simply no need for a mechanical lock when an electronic one offers MUCH better security along with its convenience. Mechanical keys are so 1960s....

:agree: :2thumbs:

SpyderTwyn
03-16-2016, 08:40 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125996&stc=1 he machined it out of some pieces of aluminum

I like this! Very industrial looking.

SpyderTwyn
03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
I just put the hole in the key like every other key in the world. I see no reason BRP needs to be different from everything else. I only have a house key and garage door fob on my key ring, never had them scratch or otherwise hurt the spyder nor get in the way of anything while in the ignition.

Agreed! My car I can open door, trunk, and start her up with the key in my pocket or bag. That's probably why I'm worried about this key! :opps:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Mine didn't come with anything. I only have one key, so I'm extra paranoid. I have a second key that is not cut or programmed yet.
You will want to get it cut and programmed pronto! Lose the one key you have and you will be in deep doo doo for BIG bucks! If you have no functioning key for your Spyder there is no way for the dealer to cut and program a new one. The entire DESS module has to be replaced.

Bfromla
03-17-2016, 04:47 AM
Lots of options. Find the one that works for you.
Mine is keyport. https://mykeyport.com
126011. Fyi can hold 6 key blades & lots of options so i cant say any 1 price.
Fyi mine holds the 4 keys i use most often, a flashlight & a thumb drive too. Handy all in size of a tic tac case. Was able to clone my chip into a option on side as to not wast space. & offers a reward if found return system. Lil extra comfort. Also allows me to keep OEM key spares safe & a x270 to access frunk. Really hand in cooler months when you put keys in jacket pocket then screw up & lock jacket in frunk. Lol many have done it, no worries if you have the x270 somewhere reachable 126012126013
Only barrel keys (HD , lidlox) will not fit, but lil ring on end cap holds my lidlox key just fine & will hold fobs or other stuff too126014

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

Ron2andia
03-17-2016, 06:25 AM
I agree should def be electronic...

SpyderTwyn
03-17-2016, 12:55 PM
You will want to get it cut and programmed pronto! Lose the one key you have and you will be in deep doo doo for BIG bucks! If you have no functioning key for your Spyder there is no way for the dealer to cut and program a new one. The entire DESS module has to be replaced.

Now I'm even more paranoid! I'll ryde up there after the weekend and see what can be done. Can the key be cut at Lowes or a similar place? The dealer I bought my byke from gave me a key, but they had no way to cut it. I was trying to wait for my initial 600 mile "break in" service.

Also, thanks to everyone for sharing and posting the great key fob ideas! I've been enjoying reading everyone's take on it. :D

STELLING MAN
03-17-2016, 06:08 PM
I had my extra keys cut and cloned at my local Ace Hardware store, they work like a charm..

Mexican
03-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Done the same thing with our 2 spyders, works good for us:)

Bfromla
03-18-2016, 12:33 AM
Now I'm even more paranoid! I'll ryde up there after the weekend and see what can be done. Can the key be cut at Lowes or a similar place? The dealer I bought my byke from gave me a key, but they had no way to cut it. I was trying to wait for my initial 600 mile "break in" service.

Also, thanks to everyone for sharing and posting the great key fob ideas! I've been enjoying reading everyone's take on it. :D

Np we like to help. Fyi Lowes should be able to cut a duplicate key like the ilco x270 no chipped. To get a chip cloned you need a locksmith ow willing dealer that is not going to force you to buy a oem replacement key. There are other options as long as you have a working key. Keep it safe! Some have drilled but is way risky with only 1 key the item you found is nothing more than a folded piece of leather with couple holes in it. If your handy you can make yourself. 126060 heres one few lucky F3 owner were givin as BRP gift126061126062. Leathercraft is fun & you can match colors with your bike. Try it out

I wasn't there but I still care!
POW MIA VETS

Brian Kay
03-18-2016, 01:26 AM

I ordered one of these for my key, and just love it... And yes I have another key on the ring, so it flops around a little when riding, but nothing I worry about

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-18-2016, 01:41 AM

What year is your Spyder, 2013? If so, you can have a key cloned. But since you already have an OEM key I'd have Lowe's, or a locksmith cut the key. The dealer will have to program it using what's called a master key. To program keys for the 2013 & earlier you have to have at least 2 Can Am keys, and up to four. After that you can get an after market key, I don't remember the name and number of it now, and have it cut. Some key cutting places can clone the program from one of your OEM keys into the non Can Am key. The cloned key looks to the DESS like it is one of the OEM programmed keys.

In 2014 BRP changed the key security system and cloning no longer works. The dealer has to program all keys using BUDS.

Fat Baxter
03-18-2016, 08:25 PM
I have a leather cover. The rubber chicken makes it easy to find, especially if I drop it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126105&stc=1

When I first got it, it needed a push to use the seat and frunk unlocks, but it's since worn in and is no longer an issue.

MrBones
03-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Boy I be very basic! I just carry my spare key in my hip pocket! No loss, no problrm

SpyderTwyn
03-19-2016, 03:24 AM
Boy I be very basic! I just carry my spare key in my hip pocket! No loss, no problrm

Well, I have left it in the trunk twice and once in the ignition overnight. Just at the house, but it still makes me uneasy...

Bfromla
03-19-2016, 03:46 AM
I have a leather cover. The rubber chicken makes it easy to find, especially if I drop it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126105&stc=1

When I first got it, it needed a push to use the seat and frunk unlocks, but it's since worn in and is no longer an issue.
:hun: You are suppose to push in for the frunk & seat, was -is not a key brake in norm thing. nojoke So you are saying you can now just turn your key & either will open? Dont think thats right bud. Srz

Fat Baxter
03-19-2016, 04:38 PM
^^ "You are suppose to push in for the frunk & seat, was -is not a key brake in norm thing. So you are saying you can now just turn your key & either will open? Dont think thats right bud. Srz"

I guess I wasn't clear. One of the previous posters mentioned that he'd tried a similar leather cover, but that it interfered when he pushed the key to open the frunk or seat. My experience is that the leather softened up so that it isn't an issue.

Bob Denman
03-20-2016, 08:14 AM
:D I kind of like your chicken! :clap:
Is there a story behind it?

ndspyderlover
03-20-2016, 08:46 AM
I found these on another forum or website: http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/AMG-BMW-BMWJ33.html

I ordered 2 and they do the job well. I didn't like the oem holder and was always worried my wife would lose the key. I wanted something that would attach to a key ring to also hold my cable lock key.I use the same thing and it works great.

jaherbst
03-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Your just Soooooo basic! I am even more so. I just leave my key in the ignition. If someone steals the Spyder Moma says I get to buy a new one. :joke:

Jack

SpyderTwyn
04-13-2016, 05:55 PM
I received my key holder, works perfectly. Ironically, the day after I got it I received the spare key for the dealer which had one of the sheaths on it (I didn't know the dealer was sending the key, they said they didn't have it). I'm using the key with the sheath as a spare.

I got a small plush key chain which I attached to the key holder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127927&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127928&stc=1

ruralgirl
04-13-2016, 07:59 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125996&stc=1

I bought two of these (found them on amazon); one gold, one blue, and I love them.

jsw469
04-14-2016, 07:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/MagicMoto-Holder-Saver-CAN-AM-Spyder/dp/B0191TZGVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460635914&sr=8-1&keywords=can+am+spyder+key+holder

But I really like this one.

3rdwheel
04-14-2016, 07:23 AM
:agree: I saw that, and really hoped that we weren't talking about dollars... :yikes:

Oh; my key is drilled, and is working just fine! :thumbup:

Where is your key drilled, can you post a picture?

seawolf33
04-14-2016, 01:23 PM
I bought 2 of these from E-Bay fits real well only $7:40 Ea
BMW 3 Button Remote Key Cover Case Rubber Siliconehttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127995&stc=1

Cavman
04-14-2016, 11:34 PM
My RST came with one of these orange rubber things on both keys from the dealer. I added the split ring and the woven perlon thing so I could find it in my pocket.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128078&stc=1

Patti D
03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Newbie here.... Just bought my first Spyder after riding on two wheels for years. Yes, what is up with this key not having a hole for a ring??? I like all of your ideas for solutions to this minor but annoying issue. As for losing a key while out riding... Instead of accidentally locking my spare in the trunk I just put it in my pocket. Key I'm using goes in the right pocket (when I get off the bike) and the spare goes in my left. Ummm... check for holey pockets first! LOL! ;)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Newbie here.... Just bought my first Spyder after riding on two wheels for years. Yes, what is up with this key not having a hole for a ring??? I like all of your ideas for solutions to this minor but annoying issue. As for losing a key while out riding... Instead of accidentally locking my spare in the trunk I just put it in my pocket. Key I'm using goes in the right pocket (when I get off the bike) and the spare goes in my left. Ummm... check for holey pockets first! LOL! ;)
I take it you've read about the ideas for drilling a hole in it, and other solutions. I find it nice to have just the bare key. That way there's no fobs or whatever clanging around and making a mess of the area around the ignition. Plus, it takes up less room in my pocket. The only time it's there is when I'm riding. Otherwise the key is in the ignition with the byke in the garage.

I have a chip key hidden behind the passenger back rest. To get to it I have a non-chip key on the inner side of a mirror. With that I can open the trunk, frunk, and seat and get to the torx driver to get to the hidden chip key. A bit of rigamarole to get to the spare key, but sure beats walking or any other solution for a lost key! :yes:

HayRog
03-23-2017, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=sduskin;1103506]http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125996&stc=1

I bought a two pack of these on Amazon also, one black, one silver. Nicely machined product and work just fine.
I didn't trust the longevity of the BRP friction holder.

RiverCity45
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
This is what I use. Completely satisfied.

Sent telepathically

48bburt
03-23-2017, 03:23 PM
I ordered a MagicMoto key holder from Amazon. Looks good and the reviews were good. Found it under Can Am accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Habib
03-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Its it's safe to drill right there? How big is the hole?

Deanna777
03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
I have my 2 spyder keys in the plastic sheaths that came from dealership, when I bought my spyder, I have not lost them. I hook them to my belt loop. I use 1 in the ignition, and the other one is in a pocket. Deanna

Deanna777
03-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Newbie here.... Just bought my first Spyder after riding on two wheels for years. Yes, what is up with this key not having a hole for a ring??? I like all of your ideas for solutions to this minor but annoying issue. As for losing a key while out riding... Instead of accidentally locking my spare in the trunk I just put it in my pocket. Key I'm using goes in the right pocket (when I get off the bike) and the spare goes in my left. Ummm... check for holey pockets first! LOL! ;):welcome: and I agree. Deanna

Bfromla
03-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Go find you a non chip spare Ilco X270 so yo can keep the chipped spare in frunk. The non chip key is flatter & easier to fide in wallet or other hiding places fyi i made a credit card sized stash from coroplasthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/4760add2d0d210503af71afd28eaf8ac.jpg holds two if i need it. Handy for my errors

LateLifeCrisis
03-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Found these on Amazon - am debating a purchase.......

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61UN-XJH6oL._SX522_.jpg

MagicMoto (https://www.amazon.com/MagicMoto/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_15336678011?ie=UTF8&node=15336678011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=MagicMoto)

Pack of 2 CNC Chrome Plating Key Saver Key Holder For CAN-AM Spyder Key Holder (Silver+Black)

Price: $49.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Enter your model number (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERLX162/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1MFRTLA886CS1#) to make sure this fits.
Condition: 100% Brand New , High Quality Aluminum
Aftermarket part , No installation instruction
Material: All CNC from T6 Billet Aluminum
Electroplating(Vacuum Deposition): to be Protective,Decorative,Insulation
For CAN-AM Spyder Keys

LateLifeCrisis
03-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Its it's safe to drill right there? How big is the hole?

Below is a link to a youtube video posted by Lamonster Garage where he shows how/where to drill the hole in the key. :)

https://youtu.be/tFmAHsv5JmA

ThreeWheels
03-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Holy Crap.
Who would think a thread about the key would create this much attention.
Nevertheless, I'll add my two cents in.

This may, in fact, have been echoed by other posters, but this thread is getting too big to read.

The Spyder has a screwy security system which requires the ignition switch to read a chip in the key. There are all sorts of threads on the horrors of the DESS system.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the time it can be disabled.
So, despite the dangers of possibly drilling through the chip, or using a key cover with a ring:
Given the problems with DESS, it's probably not a good idea to have additional metal, such as other keys hanging off the ignition key that may interfere with the DESS antenna.
Further, when riding, if you have other keys hanging off the ignition, they just tend to scratch it up and make it look ugly.
So, in short, I'm very happy with the OEM sheath and find no difficulties using it at all.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.