PDA

View Full Version : my throttle is sticking f3...can anyone help??

siny10309
03-12-2016, 07:59 PM
so, my brand new f3 with about 60 miles on it is having an issue with the throttle sticking. the only thing that was done to the bars was that i had the dealer, before delivery, install the long reach bar.

i was trying to search the forum but didnt come across anything about the f3. i took off the end cap and that didnt help with the sticking. i was playing with the spring in there because it looked like one side of it was rubbing but then in popped out and the throttle was still sticking so i dont think it is that. what is that spring for? is it only to put pressure on the end cap? how do you reinstall it? i saw a hole on the inside end but cant figure out how to get it back in there?

the only thing that helps the sticking is if i pull the grip hard away from the bike. it loosens for a couple of turns but then goes back to sticking.

any help would be awesome. i am supposed to go for a ride in the am :(

thanks!
Alex

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-12-2016, 08:16 PM
.Mike :bbq:

IGETAROUND
03-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Loosen the switch housing just inboard from the throttle and move it just ever so slightly inward away from the throttle, re tighten and see if that is helpful.:thumbup:

The inboard end of the spring inside the throttle needs to be secure in the hole, this is your throttle return spring.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

siny10309
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Loosen the switch housing just inboard from the throttle and move it just ever so slightly inward away from the throttle, re tighten and see if that is helpful.:thumbup:

The inboard end of the spring inside the throttle needs to be secure in the hole, this is your throttle return spring.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Thank you! Can't wait to try this in the a.m. is there a trick to get that doing into place?

JkRbbt
03-12-2016, 09:29 PM
When I put the LidLox on my F-3, the spring in the throttle grip must have become dislodged a bit. I looked in there and the sucker seemed to be in the right place but the throttle wouldn't return to idle. I finally took a small screw driver and poked around a bit. There is actually a fixed position for the spring. The end seems to fit in a notch that holds it in position. My throttle wouldn't return to idle until I got the spring just right. If you can't get it in the right place yourself, I am sure your service folks can help. It may be very minor, but that spring has to be JUST RIGHT! Good luck!

Gunkandpudge
03-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Wait till you get to my age and I'll tell you about throttle sticking.

:banghead:

Bob Denman
03-13-2016, 08:29 AM
I know that this isn't really helpful... :shocked:

...But this would be about the second-best time to remember to NOT take things apart just before a big ride, if you don't know exactly how to put them back together...

Off my soapbox now; and apologies for that!

Did you get it back together in time for your ride? :thumbup:

siny10309
03-13-2016, 11:33 AM
this spring isnt going in, i wonder if there is a special tool to get it back in. :banghead:

siny10309
03-14-2016, 07:53 AM
just as a follow up I finally got the spring back in and I repositioned the switch housing and this helped a bunch. it is still not perfect but much better. I will have the dealer take a look when I bring it in for service. thanks for the help.

Bob Denman
03-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know that you (sort of)_ got it working! :clap:
Good Luck at the dealers! :thumbup: