PDA

View Full Version : Unswiched power(again)

Trumpybob
02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I want to fit some Powelet sockets to the top panel in front of the gauges, as some others have done. How do I connect to the unswitched power connector (the black plug) under the black cover at the front of the Spyder? Do I need a BRP special connector. or are they readily available. Also, can the sockets be fitted with the panel in situ or does it have to be removed to drill the holes to take the sockets.
Thanks in advance
Bob

bjt
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
If I were you, I would wire those directly to the battery and throw a couple of inline fuses in the circuit. Depending on what you plan to power through these outlets, I would wire and fuse them for the max current you forsee at either Powerlet socket. I think that the wiring to the unswitched accessory line in the Spyders fusebox may only be setup for 3 amps, just like the switched accessory line. Even if it is wired to handle more power, it might be overloaded if you happened to plug in a couple of devices that pull more than 5 amps each. Of course, I haven't looked at that wiring to know for sure, it might be able to handle 15amps, no problem. :dontknow:

NancysToy
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I want to fit some Powelet sockets to the top panel in front of the gauges, as some others have done. How do I connect to the unswitched power connector (the black plug) under the black cover at the front of the Spyder? Do I need a BRP special connector. or are they readily available. Also, can the sockets be fitted with the panel in situ or does it have to be removed to drill the holes to take the sockets.
Thanks in advance
Bob
You have to be careful connecting directly to the Spyder unswitched power. I think this is limited to a 3 amp fuse, like the switched accessory wiring. I'd make sure of the size of the wire first, if you want to use the Powerlets for anything that pulls much amperage. You can charge the battery adequately throug a 3 amp fuse. I have both switched and unswitched Powerlets. The switched runs off my auxiliary fuse box in the trunk, and is switched via a relay by the 12V accessory wiring. I merely tapped into that with a suitcase connector. Don't know what the BRP connector is...sorry. The unswitched Powerlet runs off the feed to my auxiliary fuse box. That is fed by a heavy, fused wire directly from the battery. I fused that Powerlet separately, too. I merely removed the dash display and drilled the panel. No problem in the right spot if you are careful.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif