because it tells you where they are, such as say you are on I5 south
and have it on you will get a warning on the map and by voice that says
Police at mile marker so and so, or danger car wreck or other hazard
Motion X GPS Drive also does it but not as much ad Waze
Dave

https://www.waze.com/en

Chupaca
03-11-2016, 01:02 AM
This was an Israeli program but was bought out by Google I believe. Was great back when hope they don't ruin it....:pray:

Gray Ghost
03-11-2016, 09:22 AM
I have used it, has some good points and some bad points. Since it is constantly sending and receiving data, you might be in trouble if you are on a limited data plan. You also need to keep your phone plugged in while using it, it uses up battery pretty fast.

It does have an advantage over the GPS systems with traffic reporting. Since waze gets it's info from other drivers you can get info in places that are not covered by the standard traffic reporting entities. And you can use it as a navigation tool which gives you better reporting of problems along your route.

Usability is an issue if you are traveling alone. It is OK if you input your route before leaving and just listen to reports, but you need another person to do the reporting and look up stuff if you want more information on what is happening around you.

The last time I used it we were traveling in a cage, got stuck in traffic on I10 passing through Lake Pontchartrain. Waze showed us how far the jam extended and the current speed (based on reports from other vehicles using waze). It there had been any exits and work arounds it would have been helpful. On another note, did you know that people slow down real slow when they are going by a railroad trestle on fire?

tcbracing
03-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes, I have been using it for years. I travel back and forth between St. Louis and Detroit about once a month and leave it on the whole time and do not have a problem with using up data at all.

It has saved me from many a speeding ticket and I have also met a couple cool people in traffic jams with it's message function. You are able to make your own changes when driving by just hitting the button that says you are the passenger (it has a safety feature that detects you are moving and wants you to have someone else do inputs).

It will re-route you around most traffic jams if you are ahead of it enough and if the detour is actually shorter than sitting through the mess. A new feature they just added, is a constantly updating ETA for when you will get out of traffic.

I do not believe that they were bought by Google. One of the things they were proud of was that they didn't use Google maps, but instead relied on users to make corrections and updates.

I highly recommend it!