PDA

View Full Version : Beads or no beads?

Brentc
03-08-2016, 04:51 PM
No I'm not referring to New Orleans.

I have three dealers in the area and I was inquiring each about what would be involved to mount my new Kuhmo tire for me. The first two dealers said about an hour or so at 80 an hour so right around $120. So I called dealer three and they said about $35 dollars and they use beads.
I know almost nothing about balance beads, and found a few posts with some limited info. I was looking for some advice. I have no problem paying the dealers. But would like to be somewhat educated if possible.

What are the pros and cons? I'm also assuming the alternative is a typical weight style balancing? Similar to what a car tire would have done.
Thanks as always for any advice.

NM Wrench
03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
I have beads in my tires and have had no problems. They balance as they are turning. Highly recommended!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Pampurrs
03-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I don't use beads, but instead use Ride-On, which is the same concept with the added benefit of puncture protection. You will enjoy a nice smooth ride under all conditions. Either way you go, I highly recommend this type of balancing. I've been using Ride-On for at least ten years and on multiple tires on my last 4 motorcycles (including the Spyder). I won't allow weights to be put on my rims.
You don't need to have it installed by a dealer. You can deflate your tires in your garage, install the product through the stem, and then reinflate the tire.

FYI, my tires have always outlasted those of others who rely on conventional methods of balancing.

Pam

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2016, 05:23 PM
I balanced my first rear tire change ( to car tire ) but not the last two......couldn't tell the difference..........The front wheels/tires balancing is a MUST DO...........If you can get any or all your wheels off ....almost all car shops have the equipment to mount and balance ( but not balance the rear wheel ).....Mike :bbq:

Brentc
03-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Are there any down sides or reasons to not use beads? Also I have read that there are different types of beads.

Thank you you to all so far for the input. :D

Pampurrs
03-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Are there any down sides or reasons to not use beads? Also I have read that there are different types of beads.

Thank you you to all so far for the input. :D

The only downside is when you get a new tire mounted, the tire guy may curse you when all the junk falls out of your old tire :roflblack:

Pam

Brentc
03-08-2016, 05:41 PM
The only downside is when you get a new tire mounted, the tire guy may curse you when all the junk falls out of your old tire :roflblack:

Pam
Not a mess in the liquid sense, but rather a surprising bunch of beads running all over?

Peter Aawen
03-08-2016, 05:44 PM
^^ true Pampurrs, just like if you ever get a puncture that needs to be repaired from inside the tire... :yikes:

Then again, if that happens to one of my tires, I'd probably be fitting a new tire at the earliest opportunity anyway! ;)

Pampurrs
03-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Not a mess in the liquid sense, but rather a surprising bunch of beads running all over?

In my case, since I use Ride-On, it's a gooey liquid mess (I always warn them ahead of time). If you use DynaBeads or any bead product, it will be tiny beads all over the place. Most tire guys are used to it :D

Pam

Bob Denman
03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
:shocked: I'm old-fashioned: stick some wheel weights on the thing, and make it spin nice and smooth! :thumbup:
I prefer this way just so that nobody has to deal with all of that "Stuff", that's been stuffed into the tire! :D

I tired that Slime stuff in my ATV tires once... what a :cus: mess that mad out of everything, when I shredded a sidewall! :banghead::gaah:

rcflyrj
03-08-2016, 07:14 PM
I just installed a Kumho Solus on the rear. Pulled wheel myself and took to local auto repair. He charged me all of $10 to mount! Couldn't balance as center hole too small for his machine. He advised against beads, so I took a chance with no balancing. Rode today for 50+ miles and she's smooth as silk. Happy camper here.

BTW, the Solus has a 700 treadwear rating. Should last me a lifetime!

John

IGETAROUND
03-08-2016, 07:38 PM
When I change to a car tire on the back I took all of the lead weights off the rim did no balancing and it rides smooth as silknojoke:yes::ohyea:

copilot
03-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Ceramic beads in my rear tire. I will do the front tires also when the time comes. A new tire won't show wear until it's too late to fix usually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

GearHd
03-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I've changed plenty of motorcycle tires that had beads in them and the beads stay in the tire. They don't spill all over the place. I'm old school and just use tire levers and change tires that way. I even did the Spyder tire that way. I pulled off all the factory weights and didn't bother balancing it's nice and smooth.

Pampurrs
03-08-2016, 08:49 PM
:shocked: I'm old-fashioned: stick some wheel weights on the thing, and make it spin nice and smooth! :thumbup:

When you don't ever go any faster than 30 MPH it doesn't make much difference how the wheels are balanced. :roflblack:

Pam

pegasus1300
03-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I just installed a Kumho Solus on the rear. Pulled wheel myself and took to local auto repair. He charged me all of $10 to mount! Couldn't balance as center hole too small for his machine. He advised against beads, so I took a chance with no balancing. Rode today for 50+ miles and she's smooth as silk. Happy camper here.

BTW, the Solus has a 700 treadwear rating. Should last me a lifetime!

John

I also just pulled the wheel took it to my tire guy,mount and balance (with beads) and old tire disposal $25. Rides great

pitzerwm
03-09-2016, 12:07 AM
I just changed out my rear tire which had Ride-on in it. It was spread out along the tread area and I just used a scraper and put it into the new tire, not a problem. Like Pam said you get the puncture protection too and since changing that tire on the side of the road is out of the question, Ride-On is a no brainer to me.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
03-09-2016, 12:39 AM
When you don't ever go any faster than 30 MPH it doesn't make much difference how the wheels are balanced. :roflblack:

Pam

True Dat!!! :clap:

Bob Denman
03-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Pam

:clap:

True Dat!!! :clap:

:D I may be slow; but I'm STILL ahead of you!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

jcthorne
03-09-2016, 10:47 AM
I've used beads in the past and they work fine but...

Balancing the rear tire correctly with weights only takes about 15 minutes. I have balanced the last several I have installed or helped with. Most top tier car tires will take FAR less weight to balance than the junk Kenda.

kywinger
03-09-2016, 10:55 AM
If you want to reuse the beads use a hole saw and pour the beads into a cup.
Then you can put the beads in another tire.

Vt. Rider
03-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Some motorcycle tire manufacturers will not warranty their tires if tire beads are used for balancing. I know for a fact that Metzler will not warrant their tires if beads are used. I'd check with the manufacturer before doing anything.