PDA

View Full Version : Will a Spyder or two fit into an enclosed Uhaul Truck?

Husker
03-07-2016, 10:38 PM
My wife and I are moving from Nebraska to Tampa. We have 2 cars and 2 Spyders and we might be short a driver or two. I'm considering all options and I realize the positives of riding long distance on the bykes, but does anyone know if a Spyder will fit in a Uhaul truck and what ramp did you use?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Husker

hecoon
03-07-2016, 10:50 PM
My wife and I are moving from Nebraska to Tampa. We have 2 cars and 2 Spyders and we might be short a driver or two. I'm considering all options and I realize the positives of riding long distance on the bykes, but does anyone know if a Spyder will fit in a Uhaul truck and what ramp did you use?

Husker

dot tell them you are hauling bikes.

my wife broke down in phoenix last year and they made her rent a truck and a uhaul trailer for $1200
from there to ponte vedra beach fl
they told her that because of the gasoline in her victory they wouldn't let her because of fire

Highwayman2013
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
I hauled a touring two wheeler and an RT in a 26 ft truck with plenty of room left over. Do not tell them you are hauling vehicles (rules). PA to NV no problems, I drilled holes in the floor to tie down the bikes.

latony007
03-07-2016, 11:08 PM
should fit no problem width wise at all, as for length your going to need probably a 16 or bigger to make sure there is room between the two. Also as someone said above your going to need to strap them down. Obviously he didnt get a damage issue with uhaul drilling holes in the floor but id be a little worried about that. I work in the transportation industry and you can have a vehicle hauler take them. Not sure how much a one way you haul would cost, probably less than proffesional transport but worth thinking about. Out of the snow and into the sun, congrats to you and your spyders that will now be available all year round, well at least when its not 95% humidity lol

SpyderAnn01
03-08-2016, 12:10 AM

Husker

If you are using a moving company they will ship the vehicles, or at least some of them, right along with your household goods.

MRH
03-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Ship the cars and ride the Spyders?

robmorg
03-08-2016, 08:42 AM
I drilled holes in the floor to tie down the bikes.
You drilled holes in the floor of someone else's truck? :shocked:

Not sure I would have admitted that. Most U-hauls have E-track embedded in the walls, and you can rent straps and pads.

Highwayman2013
03-08-2016, 10:03 AM
You drilled holes in the floor of someone else's truck? :shocked:

Not sure I would have admitted that. Most U-hauls have E-track embedded in the walls, and you can rent straps and pads.

It wasn't a U Haul and it had some holes in the wood floor already. I pounded pieces of dowel rod with glue into the holes when I was done. It had less holes in the floor than when I started. The truck only had wood slats on the walls.

robmorg
03-08-2016, 11:16 AM
It wasn't a U Haul and it had some holes in the wood floor already. I pounded pieces of dowel rod with glue into the holes when I was done. It had less holes in the floor than when I started. The truck only had wood slats on the walls.

Ah. Sorry. :opps:

Chupaca
03-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Depends on the truck but as you asked ...how to get them up there is the problem. Lift gates are not wide or long enough and most of the truck are pretty high. I do see that you only mention the vehicles as your moving issue so the rest is being shipped. As ann said some will take your spyders as well:dontknow:. how about trailering the spyders and drive both cars down. One tows the other follows...Call up some spyder buddies and for sure you will find some volunteers to drive the spyders down for you....:roflblack:

scarecrow
03-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Great more spyder riders around the tampa area. We'll have to get together for a ride. Wife and I live in the Clearwater, largo area. Have a safe trip.

robertl
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
I transported my motorcycles but I also didn't rent the truck for that specific reason but rather moving all my stuff.
I loaded 3 motorcycles in the front of 24' truck, strapped them down, not too tightly, and placed boxes around all sides.
I only went from Tampa to north Orlando but had no issues.

For a Spyder, you'd really need a loading dock to do it safely.
I really wouldn't even try anything else. It would be dangerous and very costly if something went wrong.

The added costs of trailers (1 way), extra fuel, etc. might exceed the cost of hiring a transport company?
If shipping multiple vehicles, probably get a better rate than just 1 vehicle?

Copperman
03-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Husker

I may be less costly to use a shipper for your Spyders than to rent a U-Haul and drive it yourself. Between the cost of the rental truck (plus mileage) and gas it might be cost prohibitive.

Heck, it might be less costly to sell them both now and buy new ones when you get settled in.

Just a suggestion.