03-05-2016, 07:51 PM
90 with no ethanol is the best to us.

GOZFST
03-05-2016, 07:53 PM
90 with no ethanol is the best to us.

+1

Mazo EMS2
03-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I always like this debate...But here is what I've learned with "small engines".
Fuel with Ethanol does the dreaded "phase separation" if it doesn't get used up in a timely manner. And of course the ethanol, if left in the system can damage fuel system components. BUT, it's generally cheaper, and fresher, therefore, you're running fresher fuel through the motor.
On the other side, if you have a higher octane fuel, that won't separate and will likely burn a bit better. BUT, it's generally more expensive, so people don't use as much of it, so it's not as fresh and can still contain some water.

In the end, it's a wash. I won't buy 93 octane from a station that's out in the boonies with low traffic flow. Chances are that fuel will be older and cause problems. Had this very issue last summer. Lesson learned. If it's a cost issue, it's a wash. If it's a performance issue, most will say that mpg will increase with the higher octane fuel....provided it's fresh.
There are many different fuel additives, most of which contain alcohol of some form. If you're gonna add additives, then ya might as well run fuel with Ethanol. Most people buy what's cheaper, therefore it'll be fresher. All of course, my opinion.

Bfromla
03-05-2016, 08:14 PM
+1
:agree: +2 http://www.pure-gas.org will help you find some stations:thumbup:

Gray Ghost
03-05-2016, 08:40 PM
...BUT, it's generally cheaper, and fresher...
I agree that ethanol blends are cheaper, but not necessarily fresher. And ethanol gas starts breaking down between two weeks to 90 days after it is blended. Since our fuel systems are vented, they will get some condensation based upon conditions, but straight gas will handle that better than the ethanol blends. The ethanol in 10% gas counts for about 4 points of the octane rating. So once the ethanol separates the 91 octane is down to about 87 octane. IMO, I would take even 89 octane straight fuel over 91 or 93 ethanol blended even if it was a month older.

...if you have a higher octane fuel, that won't separate... In the OP's post the ethanol was 91 as opposed to 90 for the straight.

BajaRon
03-05-2016, 08:56 PM
+3 on the non-ethanol.

Ethanol gas is MORE expensive than straight gas (and it takes more oil to make as well). The only reason you pay more at the pump for Non-Ethanol fuel is because the more expensive Ethanol fuel is subsidized by the government (with your money) to make it APPEAR that Ethanol fuel is cheaper.

So, in an Ethanol Fuel vs straight gasoline comparison, ethanol...
1- Costs More to make
2- Uses more oil to produce
3- Reduces fuel mileage and power
4- Goes bad more quickly
5- Ruins engines

But hey! After all, it's a government program! What do you expect?

vided
03-06-2016, 07:47 AM
+3 on the non-ethanol.

Ethanol gas is MORE expensive than straight gas (and it takes more oil to make as well). The only reason you pay more at the pump for Non-Ethanol fuel is because the more expensive Ethanol fuel is subsidized by the government (with your money) to make it APPEAR that Ethanol fuel is cheaper.

So, in an Ethanol Fuel vs straight gasoline comparison, ethanol...
1- Costs More to make
2- Uses more oil to produce
3- Reduces fuel mileage and power
4- Goes bad more quickly
5- Ruins engines

But hey! After all, it's a government program! What do you expect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQ7oZdhLEE

Bob Denman
03-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Devil's Advocate here... :D
There is absolutely NO place in any manual for ANY Spyder, that even discusses ethanol, and how it affects the quality of the fuel that you burn...
BRP says to use 91 octane; that's what I'll use. :thumbup:

Now: if I actually had a choice about the usage or exclusion of ethanol in my fuels; I'd rather NOT use it...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125361&stc=1

DrewNJ
03-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Ride MORE, worry less. No fuel issues!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-06-2016, 06:06 PM
:agree:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125391&stc=1

Vt. Rider
03-06-2016, 08:04 PM
In the Spyder, it's Hy-test only. In my '14 Silverado I use regular gas. I've thought of using no ethanol gasoline, but it's a dollar a gallon more expensive. I don't believe that I'd get more than a 10% increase in fuel mileage with the non-ethanol gas, so I stick with the 10% ethanol. It does help that my V-8 engine is "flex-fuel", so I have no worries there, but as far as mileage is concerned, I won't pay the ridiculous price for non-ethanol gas. The economics just don't work here.
As far as damage to systems is concerned, then for some people, there may be a benefit to using it.